• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I bought BVUSA's release of Royal Space Force years ago from this seller on ebay, and they are still selling it, at a great price too:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Royal-Space-Force-Wings-of-Honneamise-Blu-ray-DVD-New-/130945015424?pt=US_DVD_HD_DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item1e7cee5e80
zawa113

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:30 pm Reply with quote
@willag
I'm finding it difficult to describe Magic User's Club. The OVA, which comes first, is kind of slice of life with alien invasion going on and the main girl is practicing magic and how to fly and stuff (somehow this club is not more popular). The TV series comes after, and while not quite as good, has more of the fantasy magic I think Princess Tutu had. But they're both really good stuff. I'm not even annoyed by the usual tropes slightly perky guy and oblivious girl. So yeah it's pricey, but it's well worth it! You should be able to get it cheaper on amazon or ebay or something.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I was thinking about starting to buy Fairy Tail, but it's from Funimation and a long series so I don't really want another D.Gray-man situation. Are they actually going to release all of this one? Or maybe what I should ask is how are the sales for Fairy Tail?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Don't know what the sales of Fairy Tail are like, but I can tell you that Fairy Tail Part 8 is now available (from TRSI) and that covers episodes 85-96 out of 175. Part 9 will be released next week and goes from episodes 97 to 108. While anything can happen, I suppose, the fact that well over half of the show has been released bodes well for it being completed.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:20 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
Huh. There you go. I didn't see the point, but maybe the problem is me.

I felt the need to mention, given that willag's lists are just one genius good idea after another, and then I see Hyakko and think, "Does that really belong in this company?"

Yes. Yes it does. I wouldn't place it on a "Must buy ASAP" list like any Media Blasters title and it's pretty obvious there'll be a good sale price for it in December so I'd say a little patience is in order but to dismiss it completely is just wrong. It's a comedy and it's funny; Point accomplished.

Reminds that I need to get rid of my fansub of it; It's the one that has dumbtitles trying to explain who is "Bok" {Second episode: What she said was the baseball term "Balk", to go into the motion of pitching without throwing the ball. I picked that up from Peanuts, without having it explained to me by the way}. To quote the dumbtitle:

"Most likely Brok Butcher, of the Los Angeles Angels, a pitcher."

Yeah, really need to delete it.
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote
OK, notes for willag...

I second the recommendation to make Toward the Terra a higher priority, as it's still cheap but fading fast from the first-hand market. I'd lose .hack/sign & Eureka 7 from the Bandai list simply because Funimation is rereleasing them, and unless you're super set on collection all the special edition stuff from those series, there's little difference to be had.

As for Funimation, since you already have Black Lagoon you might as well add the OVA to the list to complete the set.

As for manga, for the CMX list I would recommend Key to the Kingdom. It's a fantasy series with pretty 90s style shoujo art, it's complete in 6 volumes, and too hard or pricey to find second hand (hell, some places will still have a few stray first hand volumes).

I also second the recommendation to get ES while you can, because all the Del Ray stuff is disappearing fast and this will likely join Mars in OOP Purgatory.

Also, while Afterschool Nightmare is OOP, it's not all that hard to find used and the pricest volume (which is 7? 8? I forget which) will not usually run you more than $30, and the rest can be had for far less. It's a damn good series, and well worth the hunt. If you like it or are curious about the mangaka's work, I'd look for X-Day, a 2 volume series from Tokyopop as well.

If you liked Girl Friends, then picking up Kisses, Sighs, & Cherry Blossom Pink is a given, as both are good and god knows I want to see Seven Seas' non-fanservicey titles do well.

If you're seriously looking for To Terra..., send me a PM - I have the complete set and am looking to sell it, and may be willing to make a deal.

Finally, if you're looking into Uzumaki, why not just pick up the omnibus? It was released fairly recently and that way you get the whole series off the list in a single purchase.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:15 pm Reply with quote
@willag
Embarassed Yes, the numbers! I knew I'd understood your lists before, but was blanking.
I always get ideas myself from your lists. I'm with classicalzawa in supporting Magic User's Club. For some years it was what I watched to make me smile.

@Animegomaniac
Animegomaniac wrote:
It's a comedy and it's funny; Point accomplished.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but I think this comment sells comedy short. When I think about my own absolute favourite anime comedies (e.g. the first 20 episodes of so of GTO), I recall a specially intoxicating pleasure, where the laughter is simultaneously about the jokes and also just from sheer joy and delight because the show is so great.

I totally see and accept Blood's points that
1) nowhere perhaps do tastes vary more than in the case of comedy
2) he liked Hyakko more than me and willag may well too.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm considering getting the Inazuma Eleven game that came out on the 3DS shop recently. It has two big pluses going for it: Level-5 and RPG and two big negatives: it's on the DS and thus might have touch based mini games and the bigger one: sports anime.
Has anyone who doesn't care about sports played this yet? It's gotten good reviews but damn is sports a big biased for me...
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:37 pm Reply with quote
After reading the few reviews I could find, I'm coming to the decision that even though I love Nadia, I don't need to own Sentai's Blu-Rays. The quality and (lack of) added value don't seem to be there to justify the purchase.
Does anyone else have thoughts on this release?
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm eyeing Captain Harlock TV and Mazinger z from the Discotek sale, any thoughts on those? I'm really hoping some solicitations will be up before the sale is over, but I'm still likely to get at least one those maybe?
ColonelYao47

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:03 am Reply with quote
For a while, I've been really tempted by Good Smile's 1/8 Mikasa DX. Well, USA Animate has just opened preorders for this at a price that I feel I can no longer pass up. A part of me thinks this will be available at the GSC booth in NYCC. Ugh, temptation can be a real pain in the butt...
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quote
As I've been enjoying Chaika: The Coffin Princess, thought that Magic Knight Rayearth was pretty neat and been thinking back wistfully to my days playing D&D, I've been thinking about indulging my old fantasy habits.

Thus, I'm curious if Record of Lodoss War and its slightly bewildering array of attendant series would be worth procuring.

It looks like it would be a bit of a bother given the age of the series, which probably also means dodgy production quality for the releases. Even so, I'm not all that demanding when it comes to pretty pure comfort food like this and the rougher-hewn quality of older animation appeals to me. I might have seen pieces of episodes on television somewhere, once upon a time, but I don't really know much about it. I'd be interested in a sense of what I might be getting myself into, at least.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 8:05 pm Reply with quote
I watched Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight about 5 years ago now. Is it a stellar work of dazzling talent that will alter your life? No. No, it is not. But if you have a hankering for some fantasy yarn that won't kill too many of your brain cells, I think you'll be okay.

I have also seen Legend of Crystania: The Motion Picture and Legend of Crystania: The Chaos Ring both of which are quite forgettable. I'd recommend seeking them out only if your completionist OCD tendencies are like mine.

I own, but have not yet watched, Record of Lodoss War (the OVA series) but I've heard good things about it.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:19 am Reply with quote
For Lodoss, there's something very important to keep in mind: The OAV and Chronicles of the Heroic Knight take place in 2 completely separate chronologies (there are points where they directly contradict that cannot be argued away).

I, personally, tried watching the TV series, and couldn't get into it. Mostly because I love the OAV, and the characters that were given to me in the TV series, while they looked like the characters I love, and had the same names as the characters I love, these were not the same characters. Personalities were changed, to a degree that I didn't like. There were also extra characters added in that bothered me.

That being said, my roommate owns and likes the TV series, and I have been told that the TV series is closer to the original source than the OAV is. And the TV series does have adorable omake.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Replying to some older posts...

classicalzawa wrote:
I'm considering getting the Inazuma Eleven game that came out on the 3DS shop recently. It has two big pluses going for it: Level-5 and RPG and two big negatives: it's on the DS and thus might have touch based mini games and the bigger one: sports anime.
Has anyone who doesn't care about sports played this yet? It's gotten good reviews but damn is sports a big biased for me...

The game is fabulous. Maybe you could wait till the next Level 5 sale it is kind of expensive. There is a really awesome game on sale right now called Code of Princess. Dunno if you already own it but fantastic brawler. Great deal for $14.99.

ailblentyn wrote:
After reading the few reviews I could find, I'm coming to the decision that even though I love Nadia, I don't need to own Sentai's Blu-Rays. The quality and (lack of) added value don't seem to be there to justify the purchase.
Does anyone else have thoughts on this release?

It looks fantastic on Blu-ray dunno about the DVD. Also, haven't read about an authoring issue yet so that is good. Only thing "better" would be the JP box but it is pricey. I plan on getting the Sentai release soon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 111 of 132