• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I've got 2 groupings for this: the 'will definitely buy once there's a sale' includes pre-orders to finish up Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood and the full season sets of Sgt. Frog (which I'd passed on for the simple reason of not wanting to buy such a long series in less than full season chunks.) Also a few upcoming manga volumes, and the Good Luck Yukikaze novel (I do love that series Very Happy ).

The stuff 'I might buy if the price is right and I have the money' is basically entirely Media Blasters titles, since I'm not sure how much longer they'll be around (so I want to buy now while it's cheap), but I'm not entirely sold (or sure my order will be filled.) That includes the remastered sets of Berserk and Magic Knight Rayearth, and the first volume of Zetsubo sensei if & when it actually releases. (Normally I set aside money for pre-orders like that... I've given up on Zetsubo though. I'll buy it when I can see it.)
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Awright, TRSI has started its 12 days of Christmas sale. Naturally, I'll wait until all 12 days have been posted before placing an order, but from Day 1:

Persona - Trinity Soul - DVD Box Set 1: A virtually defo buy (I've decided to proceed with my "get all of NISA's output" plan). These premium sets rarely go on sale so I'm going to jump on this.

Eden of the East Complete Series - Blu-ray? DVD? - This one is not a defo buy and is complicated by the fact that even though I don't yet have a BD player yet, this is absolutely one title I'd like to have on BD. Question is can I actually go through with buying a BD before I have the player or HDTV to play it on? Hmmm....
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Awright, TRSI has started its 12 days of Christmas sale. Naturally, I'll wait until all 12 days have been posted before placing an order, but from Day 1:

Persona - Trinity Soul - DVD Box Set 1: A virtually defo buy (I've decided to proceed with my "get all of NISA's output" plan). These premium sets rarely go on sale so I'm going to jump on this.

Eden of the East Complete Series - Blu-ray? DVD? - This one is not a defo buy and is complicated by the fact that even though I don't yet have a BD player yet, this is absolutely one title I'd like to have on BD. Question is can I actually go through with buying a BD before I have the player or HDTV to play it on? Hmmm....

You could get it, then when you get a HDTV and blu-ray player you already have it, or buy the DVD, then when you get a Blu-Ray player and HDTV, buy the blu-ray.

There are some things that I would like to get on this sale, but I will wait until the end of the 12 days before I get anything.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote
@ asimpson - I don't double dip. I think this one will depend on what else comes on sale: I figure my budget for the entire sale will be $150 because that's the minimum I need to get free shipping up here to Canookistan. However, if I do get Eden of the East, I think will cough up the extry $3 and get the Blu-ray. I've already seen the series via fansub so I'm not gagging to re-watch right away, in any case.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I love TRSI's 12 days of Christmas. I also have a "get all of NISA's output" plan, so I was happy to see that the first set of Persona was in there.

I'm also very interested in FUNi's limited editions. I've pre-ordered Black Butler and Phantom: Requiem for a Phantom. I'm not sure about the others though. Any suggestions? Whenever Nozomi gets around to releasing Revolutionary Girl Utena and Sora no Woto, I'll definitely be getting those. Clannad: After Story, with the dub, will be joining Clannad.

God, I wish I made more money. Stupid, crappy economy. At least TRSI's awesome sales help.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:23 pm Reply with quote
@ _Emi_ : You might enjoy The Sacred Blacksmith. I found it a fun little fantasy series with a reasonable comedic element and purty visuals.
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:26 pm Reply with quote
_Emi_ wrote:
Whenever Nozomi gets around to releasing Revolutionary Girl Utena.
Gah, damn it....every time I think of that, I'm reminded that the damn thing isn't gonna have a new dub, and I have a sudden urge to kick a pregnant lady. Mad

But anyway, I've been looking into Durarara!! Part 1. Baccano! became one of my favorites when I picked it up earlier this year, and I've heard that while DRRR!! isn't quite as epic, it's still great for other reasons.

ATM, though, I'm waiting for FUNi's re-release of Gantz. Gonna get Darker than Black and Air Gear as well. And, edit: Up until a few minutes ago when I actually just bought it, Beck: Mongolian Chop Squad was on my mind. Cyber Mondey ftw.
Mylene

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:57 pm Reply with quote
_Emi_ wrote:
Whenever Nozomi gets around to releasing Revolutionary Girl Utena...

That's obviously something else I will definitely be buying--and one of the few things I'll be doing an immediate preorder on once it's listed. Amusingly, I think the only other DVDs I've done that for were...the R2 remastered Utena DVDs. I somewhat regret the purchase now. I mean, who would think that some company would be crazy (awesome) enough to relicense it? I underestimated the Dark Lord. But hey, at least I have a DVD of the musical now!

At some point I need to go ahead and buy El Cazador de la Bruja to finish up my Bee Train girls with guns collection. Sure, I could watch it first to see if I actually like it or not, but if I do that, I might not finish my collection. ^_-
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm thinking of getting Tokyo Godfathers, the Satoshi Kon movie that I am most interested in watching out of the ones I haven't seen. However, I failed to buy it when it was part of the Weekly Deals on TRSI a couple of weeks ago. Sad I'm hoping to find it at a physical store right now, but I might wait until Anime North to get it, since it's not worth it for me to get it online with the minor discount.

The price at TRSI for the Eden of the East BD is really tempting, too. Not sure how that one's going to fit in (given how much I've spent lately), if at all.
Crisha

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:46 am Reply with quote
Ugh, my list is so long, it ain't even funny. I've created a spreadsheet, but it's currently a little messy and not up to date (oh, well, the "Bought" tab is clean and up to date, but not the "To Buy" tab).

Let's see... manga-wise (volumes):
  • 7 Billion Needles - [All]
  • 20th Century Boys - [All]
  • Basara - [2, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 19, 25, 26, 27]
  • Blood+ - [All]
  • FAKE - [3, 4, 5, 6]
  • Fruits Basket (Still debating on whether I want to finish the series or not... if I weren't so far along, I'd probably drop it) - [16, 17, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23]
  • Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service - [All]
  • Maison Ikkoku - [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12]
  • Monster - [All past 8]
  • Moyasimon - [All]
  • Pluto - [All]
  • Rurouni Kenshin (VIZ BIG Edition) - [All]
  • Twelve Kingdoms (Novels) - [All past 1]
  • Twin Spica - [All past 2]
  • With the Light - [All past 2]

And this is just recalling stuff off of the top of my head. Everything in bold is what I definitely plan on finishing (depending upon if volume 19 of Basara doesn't go beyond what the used volumes are listed for on Amazon... I paid $50 for V. 20, I'm willing to pay that much again for 19). The rest is just what I'd ideally like to have.

And, anime-wise:
  • Cowboy Bebop - [Anime Legends CC]
  • Eden of the East - [Complete Series BD]
  • Escaflowne - [Super Legends CC]
  • Gao-Gai-Gar - [Season 1 DVD Collection], [Season 2 DVD Collection]
  • Ghost Hound - [Complete Collection DVD]
  • Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. - [Anime Legends CC]
  • Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. 2 - [Anime Legends CC]
  • Ghost Stories - [Complete Collection]
  • Haibane Renmei - [Complete Series]
  • Kino's Journey - [Complete Collection]
  • Magic Knight Rayearth - [Season 1 Remastered DVD], [Season 1 VHS 1, 2, 3, 5]
  • Moribito - [Complete Series BD] (maybe)
  • Princess Tutu - 6 clear blank DVD cases & Paul Champagne Collector DVD case
  • Record of Lodoss War OVA - [Complete Collection]
  • Revolutionary Girl Utena - [Complete Series]
  • Rurouni Kenshin - [Complete Series DVD], ["Shadow of the Wolf" VHS]
  • Soul Eater - [BD Sets 1 & 2]
  • Story of Saiunkoku - [Complete Season 1]
  • The Third - [Thinpak Collection]
  • Trigun - [Complete Collection]
  • Tweeny Witches - [Core Collection], [The Adventure OVA]
  • Utawarerumono - [S.A.V.E. Edition]

And I seriously had to stop myself from typing more. And, yes, I do have VHS listed up there. Why? Because I hate incomplete series or inconsistencies. Having all of 2nd season of MKR on DVD (remastered) and VHS, and yet only having VHS 4 of the 1st season (and planning on buying the remastered DVD)? Urgh. No. And I love the pretty image that's created by stacking the VHS side-by-side. And as for the Rurouni Kenshin VHS, I own all of the Kyoto Arc on VHS except for that one (yeah, the first 4 episodes), and it bugs the shit out of me.

Oh yeah, and I'm buying all of those VHS dubbed. Yeah, I said that, because I prefer the dub for those series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nerv1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:39 am Reply with quote
I haven't really bought any anime in a while but I am really torn on what I should get next. I'm thinking of either getting Gundam 0083 or RahXephon on DVD as I really enjoyed both shows but I still can't decide. Should I get 0083 for its awesome 90s art and epic mecha battles or Rah for its *cough* rip off *cough* story of Evangelion that still happens to be awesome?
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:17 am Reply with quote
I'm looking to buy Cowboy Bebop, Moribito, Haruhi, Toradora, and the mentioned by most people so far Soul Eater

I definitely know how Blood feels in wanting Soul Eater in the worst way. I've got absolutely no money to spend on anime right now and I couldn't go near any websites with cyber monday specials for fear they'd be running a good deal on things I can't buy. Window shopping at its worst.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:11 am Reply with quote
@Nosferatu21 - what really killed me recently was that Walmart was selling the first and maybe even the second set of Soul Eater for $10. But it was a U.S.-only deal and their online store doesn't ship to Canada. Mad
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:37 am Reply with quote
After looking over my next two months I realized that I might be able to squeeze something else in since they're so barren. So I'm now considering getting the Requiem of the Phantom LE set in January. I was interested when it first aired in Japan, then even more so when Funimation licensed it. However, people have talked about how the last several episodes are bad/confusing and that turned me off and made think about waiting for a complete collection. But now that I've seen the trailer Funimation made, I'm interested again.

Now I'm in a struggle to either get the DVDs with the LE or wait for a possible BD release, maybe even a BD LE like Ga-Rei Zero. My plan for other shows is to get the LE box now and get the second half later, maybe after a complete collection has come out and TRSI has reduced the half set prices. So I guess with this I can the box and wait for a BD release and just stick it in there and then sell off the first part DVD, that way I have the best of both worlds.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:22 pm Reply with quote
_Emi_ wrote:
Blood- wrote:

I love TRSI's 12 days of Christmas. I also have a "get all of NISA's output" plan, so I was happy to see that the first set of Persona was in there.

Wait, am I reading this correctly? You two are on a mission to buy EVERY release that NISA puts out??? Awesome! I'm surprised this way of thinking still exists in R1 land. Nice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 132