• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
opconvoy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:30 am Reply with quote
I'm actually considering the Birdy the mighty complete series, Comic Party revolution complete series, or Bamboo Blade the complete series.

I can't deiced.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:46 pm Reply with quote
^Birdy the Mighty was awesome, and it's cheap, go for it! Though I admit, I haven't seen the other two.

As for me, well my PS3 refuses to play Bluray movies. Which is weird because it of course plays the disc games. After talking to their customer help people twice, they determined that the only solution... is to buy a new TV.... thanks.... they said it's because the games can output in 480 but the bluray movies refuse to be anything less than 720 and I have a standard TV.
I was wondering if there's a bluray player out there that I can hook up to my standard TV and if it would work or give me the same problems that the PS3 is giving me when it comes to playing movies. I have an HDMI to component cable and everything (which didn't work with the PS3). Now that things like Wakfu and Time of Eve are Blu-ray only, I need some sort of solution, and getting a Bluray that will output to a 480 TV is cheaper than buying a new HDTV. Anyone know? My internet research didn't yield any useful answers.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Not really sure where a good place to put this is, so I'll do it here. If you were planning to buy the Steins;Gate visual novel from TRSI, it's somehow sold out at the wholesale level even though it won't actually be released until the end of March, so TRSI has put a counter on it, meaning that's the most preorders they'll be able to take. http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/pkVKHdOW0oxxZdWRH7/browse/item/99733/4/0/0

So, I guess if you want it, don't wait for it to be released or you might be SOL.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:35 pm Reply with quote
So ridiculous how the mind works. I had no thought of buying the Stein's;Gate VN ... I'm not even sure I was aware it existed.

But as soon as you say it may not be available soon... Laughing

I'm not going to buy it, but it amuses me that my "brain" actually even went there.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Hah, well your mind can rest easy. TRSI is sold out. When I posted that link, there were 67, so I guess their FB post spurred some people who had been putting it off in to action. I wonder if J-List is going to run out any time soon? Not that I need a copy, I've had mine on preorder since TRSI's last JAST sale, just curious if J-List would be able to run out or not.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Bandai's Eureka Seven: Goodnight... on BluRay vs. the upcoming Funi release?
Thoughts? Issues?
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone know if there is likely to be any reason to buy the Sentai Blu-Ray of Nadia?
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Well it'll almost certainly look better, DVD upgrade technology has improved since the series first came out in English (and of course, Bluray is an option here). And it'll be on fewer discs for certain. But I'm going through the original set for the first time now (I got it just before they announced the license rescue) and it's pretty sparse on extras (I saw like, one interview with one voice actor, and it was a text interview) and TRSI lists "clean OP/ED" and that's basic standard stuff and a few TV promos. But as far as an incredibly useful extra that would cut out all the bs of the Island/Africa arc? Doesn't seem to exist yet.
Actually, I might want to sell my set when I'm done with it, which I should be very soon (3 more eps!), not a guarantee, but possibly.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm. If that's all there is, a small improvement in image quality probably isn't enough to convince to triple-dip here — despite the admittedly pretty cover art! And despite my love of the show (both for its own qualities and for sentimental reasons). It's not as if the ADV DVDs looked bad, or anything. Not every upgrade opportunity is going to be a no-brainer like Patlabor.

I like your idea of an extra to cut out the rubbishy arc. What are you imagining? Something like a voice-over recap, covering the minimal advancement of the story that takes place in those episodes?
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Well maybe it'd be like a movie length ep, condensing the 12 eps of pointless into like 90 minutes or less. With how they got to the island, how the Grandis Gang met up with them, 30 and 31, and getting to where ep 35 starts. That's what I'd do. Actually, I'm watching it for the first time and I skipped most of those eps and don't feel I missed much. I watched 30 and 31 mostly.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Dagnabit.

Amazon had the Michiko & Hatchin 1st box set for, like, 56% off for ages (since Christmas sales, I think). I was just about to buy it a week and a half ago, but then I did my taxes with TurboTax. At the end they have an offer to get some of your Federal refund back as an Amazon Gift Card and they'll give you 10% more... So... $100 turned into $110- A nice deal since I was ordering something anyway. I put the set in my queue and waited.Checked a few times, same price...
My refund came in today, went to Amazon and... they finally jacked up the price, about $10.... the jerkfaces.

I might just wait for it to go on sale again. I've waited this long because it's something I've seen already anyways and the gift code doesn't expire.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Crap, crap, crap.

When I first read the news about NISA's new Toradora! release as a BD/DVD combo wth a dub, I initially assumed I wouldn't be double-dipping. However, I didn't notice right away that this release includes an OVA that wasn't on the original Premium Edition sets that I own.

And I got thinking ... this is NISA's first dubbed anime which makes it of historical interest to a devoted NISA fan like myself.

Sigh. I'm definitely not going to pre-order it, that's for sure, but I'll keep my eye on it. See if it's ever offered for sale in the future. If it happens to go OOP before I am willing to pull the trigger, I won't consider it a huge tragedy, but I suspect I'll be getting this after all.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
well, I wouldnt wait for a sale too long.
I have a very strong feeling it will sell well and a 2nd printing will be done and then the limited edition will go out of print but u may still be able to find the standard editions going around.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:49 pm Reply with quote
I don't normally preorder, but I preordered the Toradora Blu-Ray as soon as I saw the news last night. Now I have to decide what to do with the old version.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
I don't normally preorder, but I preordered the Toradora Blu-Ray as soon as I saw the news last night. Now I have to decide what to do with the old version.

Hell I'll take 'em off your hands if you want. I don't care if it's a) dub or sub b) blu-ray or DVD and c) standard or premium
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 109 of 132