• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:23 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
I'm considering getting the reprint of Love Live Season 1 Premium Edition, but I'm swithering. Can anyone who's got it already tell me what the book is like and if there's anything else with it?

Maybe this will help in your decision making. She shows the entire artbook in her unboxing video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXNTFeikeVU
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Ortensia1980 wrote:
st_owly wrote:
I'm considering getting the reprint of Love Live Season 1 Premium Edition, but I'm swithering. Can anyone who's got it already tell me what the book is like and if there's anything else with it?

Maybe this will help in your decision making. She shows the entire artbook in her unboxing video.

Thank you. I've just ordered it....
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Ortensia1980 wrote:
st_owly wrote:

Thank you. I've just ordered it....
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:45 am Reply with quote
I'm going to order Time of Eve, but I'm a bit unsure as to which version to get. Can someone tell me what the Collector's Edition is like? Is it worth the extra money?
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Ortensia1980 wrote:
I'm going to order Time of Eve, but I'm a bit unsure as to which version to get. Can someone tell me what the Collector's Edition is like? Is it worth the extra money?

The edition is really great as far as content goes. If you are already and EVE fan or just starting your journey it as everything you need. Tons of digital extras and reading material in that booklet. They included early works by Yoshiura on disc I think one was unavailable everywhere until this release.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Ortensia1980 wrote:

I think it depends on your budget and what's important to you. I liked the extra little story in the booklet and the 56-page booklet itself (unlike the leaflets that other companies call "booklets") is nice quality with good paper and the cover even has some texture to it. The story while short added a little extra background which made a difference for me (YMMV). I'm very pleased with my Collector's Edition. They also had thru their international shop the first 200 orders got a bonus 7 postcards (I don't know if they sold out of those), which RightStuf doesn't have. The Regular Edition while it contains the on-disk extras of the Collector's edition does not have the booklet and doesn't have the nice slipcase. Its just a regular bluray case. If extras or Collector's editions aren't that important to you or you thought the movie was just ok, then maybe its not worth it for you. If you really liked the movie and like extras or you're a hardcore collector then its probably a buy. Imho, I don't think we will see another Collector's Edition for the movie to be honest, which maybe something to consider.
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:16 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the info, luffypirate85 and One-Eye! I'm definitely getting the Collector's Edition now.

I've never seen the movie (never seen the ONA either), but I have a feeling that I'll like it. I read a comment on another anime forum from someone who was pretty disappointed with the Collector's Edition so I was very curious what other people thought of it.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
Ortensia1980 wrote:
I've never seen the movie (never seen the ONA either), but I have a feeling that I'll like it. I read a comment on another anime forum from someone who was pretty disappointed with the Collector's Edition so I was very curious what other people thought of it.

The extra 15-20 minutes of the movie gives it a different feel to it from the ONA as it doesn't leave you hanging as much. Make sure to watch thru the end of the credits as there is a little bit of extra stuff going on.

I hope you like it and we get another Time of Eve fan. Cool
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:08 am Reply with quote
In light of my plans to cut down on my anime spending for the foreseeable future until my employment situation changes, I've got interest in possibly acquiring SAVE sets of a number of anime titles. Here's what has my possible interest:

Desert Punk
Black Cat
Kaze no Stigma
Jing, King of Bandits
Moon Phase
Tower of Druaga
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:35 am Reply with quote
Of the two titles you've listed, Ggultra2764, I've only watched Desert Punk and Moonphase to completion. Moonphase is a favourite of mine, but I did watch it (and Desert Punk for that matter) early on in my anime career when I was in the stage of, "all anime is awesome!" Still, if you have a fondness for cute vampire brats then you can't go wrong with Moonphase. I thought Desert Punk had a strong start and middle but I was ultimately disappointed with the way the show ended. Still very much worth watching and (at a S.A.V.E. price) owning, imo.

I've watched about six eppies of Kaze no Stigma and maybe the first four of Tower of Druaga and neither set my world on fire. I will eventually finish them (since they are part of my physical backlog) but I'm in no rush. I haven't seen any of Jing or Black Cat - I have seen somewhat negative things written about Black Cat but can't remember the specifics.

Mind you the great thing about the S.A.V.E. line is that even if a choice doesn't turn out great, you haven't blown a whole wad or anything. Especially if you are like me and wait to buy S.A.V.E. titles during a sale.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
@GGultra
I can comment on two (and two different ones from Blood's!)

Tower of Druaga, the first half was quite enjoyable in a "parody of video game anime and JRPG" sort of way, it's just a shame that the second half was just so incredibly bad it was painful. Of course, the first half just had to slightly mess things up at the very end to set up for the second half, but seriously, you could probably find just the first half cheaper and save yourself the pain of the second half. Unless it doesn't sound interesting at all, in which case, you're not missing a whole lot.

Jing: King of Bandits, firstly, I must point out that Funimation only owns the Seventh Heaven OVA, not the series proper. Only that is SAVE, the series itself is quite way out of print and good luck finding it cheap on ebay (I've looked out of curiosity). That said if you do find the series cheap, it's not bad. It's similar to Kino's Journey with the episodicness, but it's nowhere near as good with the thought provokingness. For fun episodic adventures, it's ok. For the Seventh Heaven OVA in particular, it adapts two stories that the TV series itself did not, the Seventh Heaven arc and a story about how Jing and Kir met. The Jing and Kir episode is pretty good, but Seventh Heaven part itself kind of bored me, though it looked cool.

As for a list of awesome SAVE titles (just in general, odds are you may already own some of these): Birdy the Mighty, Big Windup, Kaleido Star, Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom, Mushishi
And for some "ok" ones: Jyu Oh Sei, Gad Guard, Glass Fleet
And probably others, but I've not seen every SAVE title out there either.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Right now, Amazon.com has a used copy of ADV's 2009 re-issue of Jing, King of Bandits for $38. I have a copy of the original release which is apparently worth millions. Okay, maybe not millions, but somebody's asking $300 for a copy.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote
^I have that first thin pack version too, I bought it at a local one-day con for like $10 or something. At least I can definitely get my money back for it on eBay (I probably won't watch it again I'm thinking, though I do have fond memories of those Newtype sampler discs and watching it on there first, back when I was getting into anime). I do think I like it better than the manga though, mostly because the manga had the problem of trying to cram too much detail and it was actually hard to figure out wtf was going on much of the time. And it should've used the color "grey" more, that would've greatly helped it. I mean, just black and white looks cooler, but grey makes it easier for my eyes to enjoy. The anime is definitely easier for my eyes to understand, though the eye-catch makes me go "damn, that is so early 00s computer aided" and it could certainly have been more lavish looking, it looks rather basic. And I do wish it had more than 3 tracks to the OST. I do think it paces pretty well though.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:56 pm Reply with quote
I managed to pick up the singles and artbox (unfortunately, it's one of the folded-cardboard type, not chipboard) for Jing, King of Bandits a while back pretty cheaply but I have not watched it or the OVA yet.

Of the titles mentioned, I have seen three to completion. It's been a while since I watched Desert Punk (I have the tin box with digipak version) but I think my feelings were similar to what Blood- said. It was pretty funny at times but ran out of steam towards the end. I thought the first half of Moonphase was good but the second half was awful. As for Black Cat, I may be in the minority but I thought it was a steaming pile of crap. In fact, I barely made it through the whole way without dropping it.

I also own Tower of Druaga (got the half-season sets dirt cheap from a vendor on E-Bay years ago). I have only seen the first episode (both versions) but it looks like a better-than-average show. I also saw a couple of episodes of Kaze no Stigma and found it to be pretty generic.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:39 am Reply with quote
Just took notice that Funi only had rights to the King of Bandits Jing OVA series, so I guess that option is out. Judging from what I'm seeing from folks, my choices are gonna be between Tower of Druaga, Desert Punk and Black Cat.

@classiczawa: Other than Glass Fleet, I've either already seen or currently own the titles you have listed. May pick up Glass Fleet down the line if my time on unemployment drags out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 117 of 132