• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:

Desert Punk
Black Cat
Kaze no Stigma
Jing, King of Bandits
Moon Phase
Tower of Druaga

For a change of pace, I'll comment on all of them {minus one for obvious reasons. It's really bad, a series of stand alone episodes, stand alone "Jing" girls} because your concluding list is rather, I think, wanting. I mean, picking Black Cat, a Gonzo WSJ quick adaptation over Moonphase, the only 100% directed Akiyuki Shinbo Shaft work? There are single viewing shows and there are things you need to rewatch.

Desert Punk: One of the good Gonzo shows, predating their CGI addiction, it's a study of how well idealism can live in an unforgiving world. It has a very engrossing two part episode, followed by two stand alone episode adapting format that it sticks with up to the style changing ending four episodes- a change that doesn't sit well with some people but is necessary for its premise. 2 out of 5 in order.

Black Cat: Awful, couldn't finish the last four episodes which were filler anyway. An absolute Train-wreck of WSJ proportions/portions. Dead last in order. There's Eve but she's kind of also in the much better written {while both series have the same artist, his earlier series, Black Cat, was written by himself. There's a clue right there, right?} T-Luv-Ru so it can't even win there.

Kaze No Stigma: Gonzo {again} light novel adaptation of several novels so it's about five to six multi-part stories. There's some great characters and some good action, for Gonzo, but seeing how the original novelist died before finishing the story, you can see the problem here. Solid recommendation but also, not. Three out of five.

Moonphase, my first SAVE purchase when the whole thing started and the first show I saw legally streamed way back in 2008. 7? Anyway, first and best loli vampire story by Shaft and Shinbo, master of the loli vampire story. It's a work of two over-arching stories, the first one involving one of the cruelest villains the medium has to offer {it gets the raves for good reason}, the second one is about another loli vampire which is the source of its issues: 1 Not as popular as the first for that reason, 2 It's a change from the source manga but 3 It's a lot better idea than what the manga did and 4 It's a great conclusion for Hazuki's character arc. It's my preferred part of the show because the first one treats Hazuki more of a thing than a character in her own right. And that last episode is a killer.

Great music, great art, great voice acting in both languages {Chiwa Saito or Monica Rial, who is better as Hazuki? Both!} but as they did change the story, they never got around to the main plot of Hazuki's father and Kohei's mother but it's probably for the best. One of the best bargains in the SAVE series, 1 out of five.

Tower of Druaga, another Gonzo show but this time, it's an intentional comedy so I think the bad CGI was on purpose here. Maybe. Original work based off of a 80s video game with "100 room, storm the tower and save the princess" story line, the show has some issues with its characterization and plot direction {original work showing its bad side here}. I absolutely loathe the ending. That aside... no, I can't put it aside, I own it and I still can't bring myself to rewatch it because of the ending. 4 out of 5. spoiler[All because he had to save the princess, it didn't mean he had to marry the backstabbing woman whom he only knew for a week over the woman that stuck with him, lived with him, for over three months. Pairing her off with the dumb muscle with a single scene just proved they knew they made too strong a character to just toss aside without a conclusion]. End of rant.
Tempest_Wing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Anime I plan to buy eventually:
-Digimon Seasons 1-4 DVD Set
-Digimon Fusion dvd set
-Binbogami-Ga! DVD/BD set
-Kill la Kill vol 5 (I already have vol 4 preordered)
-Kill la Kill Part 2 of 3 and Part 3 of 3 UK Collector's Edition BD
-Monster Rancher seasons 1-3 DVD sets
-Medabots Season 1 dvd set
-Nyaruko Seasons 1 and 2 Premium Edition BD
-Spirited Away BD
-Howl's Moving Castle BD set
-Panty and Stocking BD/DVD Anime Classics set
-Certain Scientific Railgun S (When it gets released on BD)
-Certain Magical Index II (When it gets released in a BD box set like season 1)
-FLCL BD set
-Millennium Actress (Whenever it gets released in BD in NA with either a dub or sub)
-Tokyo Godfathers (same reason)
-Nichijou (Whenever it gets released in NA. I already have the AU version, but since it's region 4, it's a pain in the booty to play on my laptop)
-Azumanga Daioh (same reason)

Considering:
-Serial Experiments Lain Restore Box Set (I found myself loving this show, but now that the box set has been out of print since 2010, it's gotten really damn expensive).
-Fairy tail Collections 1-3 (I used to love Fairy Tail a couple years ago, but now the show feels repetitive. I even thought of buying the soundtracks. I might still end up buying them whenever they're on sale though.)
--Hetalia (I adore this show, but it's only ever been released on DVD, and even then the sets are expensive for being dvds)
-Psycho-Pass (I want to watch season 2 first and the movie before committing to buying the BD sets. Thought season 1 was great though.
-Bodacious Space Pirates (I thought it was alright, a bit slow at the beginning. But the way it ended kinda gave a bad taste in my mouth idk)
-Baka and Test ( I saw the show, thought it was pretty good, wished for a 3rd season when it came out....now...I don't really care for it. I don't even remember what the show was about, really or any of the characters besides Hideyoshi. But I'll still consider buying it when it's on sale.)
-Kino's Journey DVD set
-The Steel Angel Kurumi dvds. I saw the show and liked it. But i'm not sure if I should buy the out of print dvds or wait for a re-release.

Don't know yet:

-Patema Inverted BD (I want to see it first before buying it. Does anybody know if it's good?) If it's good, I might just buy the UK Collectors Box Set
-Welcome to the Space Show BD (Is it any good?)
-Madoka (I'm already committed to buying KLK and I already made the mistake of buying Kill Me Baby for around $30. I saw the show and loved it, but I don't think it's worth it for the price right now.)

I think the fact that Im not watching that much anime lately is going to be good for my wallet in the long run.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I... I... must own this Terraformars hug pillow:

Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
I think the pillow has enough muscle to ruin you. Shocked
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I... I... I just don't understand the appeal; and that's not just because she doesn't have a penis.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:38 pm Reply with quote
The appeal of above hug pillow as explained to Tsuna by Blood-

1) She has short blonde hair.
2) She has large breasts
3) She has washboard abs (yes, this is a turn-on for me)
4) She is wearing a bikini
5) She has kind of a snarly look yet is also blushing a bit - hello, tsundere.

I want to hug her. I want to hug her so very much.
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:21 am Reply with quote
Been looking into the Dragon ball manga. I've heard its had a history of censorship, but supposedly the 3-in-1 editions that are coming out now have no censorship. I hear there was an incident where the first volume got censored, but it was a mistake and they printed a second edition without the censorship

Does anyone know if all the 3-in-1 volumes are completely uncensored for good this time?

Im considering that, or just getting the dragon ball anime sets.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:34 am Reply with quote
I keep kind of wanting to get into One Piece, some things are popular for a reason, and out of all the big shonen, the way everyone talks about One Piece is different. But I've got a big anime backlog as is, so I was definitely going to go with the manga (the 3-in-1s most likely). But yeah, that does involve getting into a series that's already 76 volumes and counting (and yet, 76 volumes is still easier to digest than 650+ episodes). I remember reading v1-5 back in the day, I enjoyed it, but I guess shinier things happened (and at the time, Viz was only releasing them like, twice a year before their big catch up and now they're all over it). I was going to see what the comic shop had this weekend (good thing there's a Viz sale, I know they don't have the East Blue omnis, but they do have whichever ones are green). I don't much remember what I liked about v1-5 though, it's been so long.

But really I guess the question is: is it worth what's going to clearly turn into a huge 60+ vol commitment? How far would I need to read to know if I'm "in" or not? Is the anime filled with filler? And is it the DBZ style "extend the fights forever" type or the "let's make a new mini-arc" type? Are those arcs good enough to make the manga not worth it in comparison, or should I just check out the movies (I'm assuming they're all off-manga) in addition to the manga and just go with that combo?
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:46 am Reply with quote
Since it looks like Anime Sols will be releasing the full series now, I'm getting increasingly tempted to snag up Dear Brother. May consider getting the whole series next month.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lem

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:39 am Reply with quote
As of today I have another million and one manga/artbooks/novel volumes in my BAM! cart/wishlist so I really didn't want to start collecting another "new to me" manga title this year. But damn if the "Skip Beat" 3-in-1 Editions aren't calling out to me.

Also considering Rumiko Takahashi's Inuyasha, that and of course double dipping for the new hardcover editions of Kaoru Mori's "Emma".

...and this is more like what are you fantasizing about... but if they ever decided to re-release Otomo's Domu or Yukimura's Planetes I'd plunk down some serious coin to have them again in deluxe/hardcover/omnibus/over size/super duper badass editions. so yeah completely within the realm of possibility this week, I know Laughing , but hey they both deserve it dammit. Very Happy
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:28 am Reply with quote
@lem
Not sure if you've been over on the manga boards lately, but pretty much everyone there is reading Skip Beat! It seems to come up on almost every page. A couple of months ago I lent my friend the first three omnibuses I had and she came back two weeks later and said "I've read it ALL!" (and by "all", I mean she went online and read up to what's been released in Japan, so at least 34 volumes, not just the 9 I lent her) It's definitely cracktastic and it's only gotten better as its gone on. I don't know why I took so damn long to start reading it personally (I am more behind than everyone else though, ugh), you should definitely get at least two of those omnis. I also don't find it quite as annoyingly girly as a lot of shojo, but it also doesn't have "but I love my abusive jerk wad boyfriend" problem a lot of shojo have either.

As for Inuyasha....I dunno, I feel like you should know if you like it or not (it's only been common everywhere since the early 00s). It does like to repeat the same basic plot a lot of times and repeat a lot of comedy and the characters are quite similar to Ranma 1/2 in a lot of ways. I have flipped through those omnis before though, they're quite nice. But if it's a choice of one Skip Beat and one Inuyasha or more Skip Beat instead, get more Skip Beat
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:17 am Reply with quote
The Inuyasha omnibuses are very nice, but I always find myself far more eagerly devouring a new Skip Beat volume than a new Inuyasha volume. They're both incredibly good value though.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:49 am Reply with quote
I really should pick up the Skip Beat! omnibuses. Loved the anime - it remains in my Damn Top 5 of Damn Shows that Need to Be Damn Licensed outside of Damn Japan.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:31 am Reply with quote
@Blood-
You really should. I agree the anime should be licensed, however I like the manga a bit better. In any case there is at least an additional season of material beyond the end of the anime including an actual end to the arc that was the end of the anime.
lem

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:17 pm Reply with quote
@classicalzawa,
I've been fixated on the retail section here so I tend to miss out on a lot or simply gloss over a whole bunch here and there...

"cracktastic" as in compelling, pulls you in because it's so well crafted? Then I should probably get as much of it at once and plan on setting time aside to consume it in big chunks.

As for Inuyasha, from what I've already seen of the anime I've enjoyed it so really I just want to see if one is better than the other. That and just for a sense of completion. Like the anime I'll probably be reading it only on occasion, won't be in any rush to finish it.

@ st_owly, Blood-, Alan45,
Good to know that you guys also liked it. Looks like there's yet another series to invest in. Thanks!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 118 of 132