• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
First temptation for me, and we're only two days into the damn holiday sale. Curse you, Santa Kleckner!

Considering Clannad, and also, for $5 extra a season, is the dub worth it?
And I know it's not scifi, but I can enjoy drama too!
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Clannad is partially sci-fi, or at least fantasy-packed. It is a Key work after all.
There is a robot and an alternate world- to what extent that is a dream world is uncertain.

Not an action series though. Plenty of comedy.

I'm not a dub guy, I may have watched it though. IIRC it's good.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:16 pm Reply with quote
@classicalzawa

I watched all of Clannad but other than some hazy early scenes I don't remember it at all. It obviously did not raise any specific emotions at all. Eminently Forgettable dub or sub.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I suspect your reaction to Clannad is somewhat atypical, Alan45. I haven't watched it yet, myself, but from discussion I've seen, people seem to fall either into the love it or hate it camps with very little in between. At least, that's my perception.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I realize that. I looked at the thread on anime tearjerkers recently posted. I saw several of the listed series and didn't cry over any of them. I'm sure some anime I watched has made me misty eyed but I can't think of one at this point. I apparently do not cry easily.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Oh, how I envy your heart of stone. I, on the other hand, am a blubbering mess. Whether it's a genuinely poignant moment or the crudest form of cheap emotional manipulation, there's gonna be waterworks with me.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 12:28 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
willag ... did ... did ... you just reference performing an act of oral copulation AND Santa Claus in the same sentence???

OH MY VIRGIN EYES!!!

Well, enjoy your lump of coal this year, you naughty girl.

I have been dead inside for years ever since reading a Care Bears fanfic that involves Grumpy Bear becoming Slave Bear, a rape rack, and flower ejaculations.

-----

In regards to cheap emotional manipulation, it really depends upon my mood, how engaged I am at the moment, and affinity for the characters. As per my unpopular opinion, I have a hard time engaging any Key shows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:04 am Reply with quote
Hmm, another polarizing show, probably not safe to blind spend $50 on. I'll go see if I can't find the first few eps through.... other means, it might help me make a better decision then, thanks, guys!
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:34 am Reply with quote
@willag

I'm 1 for 4 on Key shows. I rather liked Angel Beats, but I considered it a comedy with some intense moments and a rather nice ending. I was surprised to find out it was a Key show. I don't see it as a tear jerker.

As noted I found Clannad to be like cotton candy, as soon as it was over there was only a ghost of taste left.

I regret watching the Air TV series. The ending made me so mad. It was like "we animated enough, insert tragedy here" it was so pointless.

I watched part of Planetarian, but quit when I saw where it was going. I did the same with Your Lie in April.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:01 am Reply with quote
willag wrote:
I have been dead inside for years ever since reading a Care Bears fanfic that involves Grumpy Bear becoming Slave Bear, a rape rack, and flower ejaculations.

Whereas that same story had me crying like a little bitch.

So I'm torn over my TRSI holiday buying strategy. Given my unemployed status and general financial situation, I shouldn't be participating at all. But screw it - where would I be as an anime collector if I let a minor detail like lack of money get in my way?

I want to stick as close a $250 USD budget which gets me free shipping, at least.

One buying strategy is to stick with some LEs that are on sale. For example, the three Yuki Yuna is a Hero sets are on sale for $54 each. Getting all three puts me at $162. Then I'd really like the Beyond the Boundary LE which is $72. Now I'm at $234. Throw in a cheapy title that I really want, like Ladies vs. Butlers for $15 and I'm at $249. It'd be easy to snag a manga volume of something I want to get me over the $250.

However. I really would like the two Akame ga Kill LE collections that are at basically $59 each. So if I dropped the Boundary LE and LvB and got Akame instead, I'd be at $280, which obviously busts my $250 budget, but not outrageously so.

Another strategy is to get the three YYiaH sets for $162 (I think any strategy I pursue will include this. I can imagine the Sentai LEs going on sale again in the future, but I'm not sure sure about these. Plus, the Sentai titles have cheaper versions if I want to go that route whereas I don't believe PonyCan USA will come out with cheap versions of their shows. At least they haven't yet.) and then get just the regular Blu ray versions of Akame and Boundary. That would bring me to $162 + $64 + $28 = $254. I would probably still get LvB, so total: $269.

The Greedy Pig strategy sees me saying eff it and getting all the LEs I've mentioned for a total of $352 USD. By the time you throw in sales tax and the exchange rate, I'd be looking at about $540 CAD. Yeah, I don't see me doing the Greedy Pig version.
richfam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
So I'm torn over my TRSI holiday buying strategy.

I feel your pain! It's the same thing every year: way too many things on sale at great prices, but only enough money to buy a handful of them.

So far this year I'm looking at the Mardock Scramble Trilogy, which I've watched via legal streaming and really enjoyed, and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, which would be a blind buy... but I've wanted this film ever since the old Bandai release (which I could never afford). Some of the series that I'm considering include Dusk Maiden of Amnesia and the Strawberry Marshmallow OVAs.

But they just put the first two volumes of the Aria manga on sale for $4.00 each. That's fine, as a big fan of Aria it would be nice to own at least some of the original source... but if they end up offering all of the Aria manga volumes at that price, what will I give up in order to afford them? Aaaaaargh! Mad
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:17 pm Reply with quote
@ richfam - yep, I know the agony of not being independently wealthy all to well. You are definitely mulling over some good choices - let us know what you ultimately go for in the What did you just buy? thread.

My TRSI holiday sale strategy continues to evolve. The Yuki Yuna sets are still locked in. Not only do I really like the title and the actual release, but I try to own at least one release from every NA distrib. This is likely the only PonyCan USA title I'll ever own, so I may as well snag it on sale.

I still want the Beyond the Boundary and Akame ga Kill! LEs, but seeing them go for cheaper at the Sentai site - in the case of Boundary, MUCH cheaper - puts me off. As a Canadian, I can't take advantage of the Sentai sale because they don't ship outside the US. But it still bugs me, so I think I'll wait on those. So that frees up about $88. I'm pretty locked on the $15 Ladies vs Butlers!, so now I'm at about $73. Oh let's just say $75 to keep the figures round-ish. That's enough to get at least three Sentai Blu-rays. Dusk Maiden of Amnsia is on my list as well as is Another and a bunch of others. It'll be tough narrowing down the choices.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:05 pm Reply with quote
@Blood-

Both Dusk Maiden and Another are head and shoulders better than Beyond the Boundary in my opinion. I haven't tried Akame ga Kill. Your budget would go much further if you didn't insist on LEs. I think I've just about given up on them unless I can't get what I want any other way.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Hey, normally I am Mr. Barebones. The vast majority of my collection is made up of such releases. The only reason I have some more elaborate ones is that in the last few years I got into collecting OOP titles whenever I could find one at a decent price and I've managed to get lucky a few times.

As a collector, if I had the cash, I would always get a LE over barebones. They are simply more fun. It's my financial reality that prevents me from doing so. However, this also creates a pent up frustration. Okay, fine, so I can't have EVERY LE out there, but dammit for titles I really like it would be nice to have a few. I feel reasonably confident I'll get Boundary and Akame ga Kill LEs sometime down the road at a decent price.

I have a feeling if I let the Yuna sets go by, I may not get them at that price again and as I said I'm not confident there will ever be a barebones release.

DADDY NEED PRETTY THINGS, OKAY???

Wink
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:20 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Blood-

Both Dusk Maiden and Another are head and shoulders better than Beyond the Boundary in my opinion. I haven't tried Akame ga Kill. Your budget would go much further if you didn't insist on LEs. I think I've just about given up on them unless I can't get what I want any other way.

I would not say they were both head and shoulders better, but I do think both were better. I enjoyed Beyond very much, but watching the new ways all the kids die every episode of Another was entertaining heh. Plus it did have a nice suspenseful plot. Same with Dusk Maiden. I will say Beyond looked the nicest. As for Akame I would drop it. The show did not live up to it's potential at all IMO. I enjoyed it and it has re-watch value if you like action shows but it definitely to me was not worth LE prices. So if you're debating between it on LE and others I'd go with door #2 myself.

As for me I finally made my first Right Stuf purchase for the holiday sale. I am thinking about, with the next one in December, getting some of the Kieli novels as they seem interesting. I also am debating about whether or not I want to get part 2 of Charlotte and Asterisk War or go with a higher quantity as those 2 are pricier. I've pretty much decided I'd finish them before buying Erased but I do also need Assassination Classroom season 1 part 2. Among others.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 124 of 132