• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:13 pm Reply with quote
But isn't it only one character who, somewhat inexplicably, has a British accent?

Oh I forgot a Brexit-themed sentence to add to the ones above:

"We don't need any bleedin' wogs!"

My favourie British word these days is "arsed." As in:

"I was going to go to the bloody shop, but then I decided I couldn't be arsed."

(Just in case the context isn't perfectly clear, arsed = bothered.)
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:10 am Reply with quote
So even though I've spent way too much over the past week already, I'm flipping through the ever-bloating RightStuf list and throwing things onto a wishlist in the hope that sanity will prevail later and I'll wind up ditching most/all of it. Anyways I noticed something a bit strange about FUNi's various Full Metal Panic releases. They have a few separate Blu-ray or DVD sets of each season from 2010 or so, and then the first season and Fumoffu also have combo packs that were released in 2015, but there's no corresponding one for Second Raid. I can't think of many circumstances where I'd ever use the DVD copies in those things, but it still feels comforting to have them given the choice.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:05 am Reply with quote
Some of those FMP sets (most? all?) are currently "out of stock"- it only shows on their page or if it's sitting in your cart, which is where I had them. Might be back in stock before the sale is done, but not right now.

Most everything I've placed in the cart for later consideration is currently out if stock. The Haruhi Ultimate Collection is "out of print"- although that was only a one day mega deal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:32 am Reply with quote
I wonder how many more days TRSI will be putting up fresh sales items? It used to be for 13 days but that may have gone out the window. The site itself doesn't appear to say, although maybe it's there and I just can't find it.

Oh and just noticed something annoying in today's "new" offerings. PonyCan USA's three DENKI-GAI CE sets are listed at $54 each, just like its Yuki Yuna is a Hero CEs. The one difference, however, is that TRSI is offering a $135 bundle deal for DENKI-GAI which it is NOT for Yuki. I take this as sign that sales for DENKI-GAI are slower and therefore extra incentive is required to get rid of them. I liked DENKI-GAI and wouldn't mind owning it but have been held at bay by the cost. If I'm going to own a single PonyCan USA title, Yuki is my favourite, but I am a bit cheesed it's not getting the bundle treatment.

It almost makes me want to roll the bones and hold off on Yuki until next Christmas sale to see if they'd be offered even cheaper than this year. Trouble is, my rotten mind has sort of fixated on getting them this year, so...
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:59 am Reply with quote
Last year the last standard day of new sales was 12/16 with Mega Deals through 12/27- which, I think, also marked the last day that the sale prices were active.

Boy, WTK has been lax this year. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Some things popped up on RS xmas sale that I wasn't expecting. I liked Yuki Yuna enough (even though I wasn't crazy about the end) that it would ordinarily have been a buy if it wasn't for the PonyCan prices, and the same goes with Rokka which was still unique enough in spite of its flaws. I'm still not sure if I'm willing to buy at the sale prices especially for a giant plastic case, so I'm a little conflicted. Then there's Kill La Kill which I'm a little more excited about, but the plain jane BDs are $150 and you get...nothing extra for it? Am I right on that one? For $50 more I could get the LEs which has gone from "hell no!" to approaching the realm of possibility. Still conflicted.

Rage of Bahamut LE seems like a given once I get other stuff to pair it with for free ship.

Is it me or does it seem like there's a lot of stuff going out of stock on this xmas sale?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:45 pm Reply with quote
So when I saw RightStuf throw Silver Spoon into the sale for over 50% off, I did a serious double-take, even with my recent Aniplex end-around importing spree. $70 is still more than I'd prefer to pay for a bare-bones sub-only DVD set, but at the very least it's finally in the sane-pricing realm for a show of that length. I'd seen some vague thing about a UK company picking it up, but no firm details about format and such. Fortunately I just tried another search, and apparently Anime Limited over there will actually be putting it out on Blu-ray, which would be something of a double middle-finger to AoA. Glad I didn't pull the trigger right away on that one.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:35 am Reply with quote
Oh, Gee. Ponycan is having a sale. I found Rokka fairly interesting. Wow it will only cost $162 for the whole series. This for a 12 episode series with a blatant To Be Continued, read the (nonexistent) novel ending. I think I'll have to pass on that.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:23 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Oh, Gee. Ponycan is having a sale. I found Rokka fairly interesting. Wow it will only cost $162 for the whole series. This for a 12 episode series with a blatant To Be Continued, read the (nonexistent) novel ending. I think I'll have to pass on that.

The only Ponycanyon show worth getting is not going to be on sale. That's even better than Yuki Yuna not getting a bundled offer.

I don't think I said that right. The only show they have worth buying is not going to be on sale. That's not right either.

The only title of theirs that's selling is not going to be on sale. There we go, 100% accurate. What they did to Sound Euphonium makes AoA's Kill la Kill look like a pretty good deal.

I'm still considering a few different tiles from the Holiday sale; The last dubbed/ possibly last anything NISA bundle of Love Live which was a title I considered last year. AoA's Servant x Service which was one of my "go to" shows when Hulu was free. The Tenchi GXP SAVE set to replace the four two DVD sets I pulled out of a FYE clearance bin at 97 cents apiece...

Hyakko? I meant to get that one last year as well. There's another Nozomi release in their Sato series that I'm missing but since I always forget its title, it's probably not as important as the ones I already have.

Umi Monogatari, that's it. Decisions, decisions...
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
The Tenchi GXP SAVE set to replace the four two DVD sets I pulled out of a FYE clearance bin at 97 cents apiece...

Oh lord, why would you do that to yourself? I'm still trying to recover the brain matter I lost sitting through that...
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:43 am Reply with quote
Out of whatever is left from the Rightstuf Holiday Sale to get my interest...

Captain Earth DVD Sets
Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt Anime Classics Set

The two above are likely to be my next purchase unless anything else comes along within the next week to grab my interest. Kimi ni Todoke's first season and Nisekoi have some interest from me, but are long-shots at this point thanks to their cost as I am only aiming to spend more than $49 to get free standard shipping.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:
The Tenchi GXP SAVE set to replace the four two DVD sets I pulled out of a FYE clearance bin at 97 cents apiece...

Oh lord, why would you do that to yourself? I'm still trying to recover the brain matter I lost sitting through that...

Harem tropes filtered through the combined talents of Yosuke Kuroda and Nabeshin? What the series alone does to the "those two guys" trope... there's those two guys, those three guys, those four girls and that one guy and they never meet as they all occupy different parts of Seina's life somehow... makes it essential material for fans of their genre deconstruction style.

What baffles me the most is how the series was always released on 8 DVDs. Probably the same eight designs, possibly the same 8 switched out from returns....

Oh. Right, clearance. Well, I've always really liked it and DVD 7 always gave me problems.

With the most recent batch of added sale items, I was momentarily excited that they added Madoka only to realize that those were only the remaindered singles that AoA didn't sell. It took a moment to realize because they're only sale prices, not clearance prices.

Maybe they'll get the hang of this "supply and demand" thing eventually...
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Well, de gustibus and all that I suppose. Razz
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:07 am Reply with quote
I've been considering purchasing A Lull In the Sea since it is part of Rightstuf's sale. Any opinions?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:12 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
I've been considering purchasing A Lull In the Sea since it is part of Rightstuf's sale. Any opinions?

Beautiful show to watch in HD. I have their original Limited release and it's a purchase I never regretted . My own honest opinion would be to skip the DVD sets and spend the extra thirty dollars for the BD edition.

However, this could be one of the last megadeals as there's been a lot of NIS titles in this sale. So, maybe...

The show itself? If you haven't seen it, you just have to make it through those first eight or so episodes until you start to hear of a festival and the main story kicks in. Even when I first saw it as it aired, I was thinking "Sounds ominous! Tell me more..."

I was not disappointed and actually was surprised by what happened. The second half becomes compulsive essential viewing, not at all something you'd guess from the slice of life early episodes. But...

Quote:

Genres: comedy, drama, fantasy, romance
Themes: parody, post-apocalyptic, sea-dwelling people, underwater world, unrequited love

Parody? Who added that one?

The dub is ok. For a Bang Zoom! production, I can easily name 20 better dubs and that's never a good sign. It's not bad and It does its job of removing the subtitles from some awesome shots but BZ didn't go out of their way to cast it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 126 of 132