• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What Are You Considering Buying?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Beautiful looking show. Personally I thought it was mostly a failure. Tepid teen/young love story mashed together with a poorly conceived sci-fi fantasy. The only way it works at all is by distracting you with the other half of the concept. If you find yourself wanting to smack the emo little brats then you can involve yourself with the convoluted fantasy aspects. Realize that the fantasy makes no GD sense? Spend your time shipping who should get together.

What killed it for me early on was trying to reason with the fact that the underwater world was something akin to a less imaginative version of The Snorks- a bunch of people living underwater in a manner almost imperceptible to those on land. Living in houses, watching regular old Televisions, cooking food in pans on the stove... WALKING from place to place (I think swimming was bad manners or something).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so today was the last day for new titles to be added to the TRSI holiday sale. I can now get serious. The three Yuki Yuna sets still loom large for me as do the soft cover versions of Haruhi light novels 7, 8, 9 & 10 (which are not on sale, but I might as well order them while I'm getting free shipping). Beyond that, not sure what else since I'm trying to stick to a $250 USD budget. Too many choices, not enough moolah.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Amen to that. They just threw all of Space Brothers on there, and if I hadn't bought anything else at all I might have considered it, but I just blew my load on all of Patlabor a day ago, so it's not happening. Even on sale it'd wind up being about $200 for the entire series, and that's for a bare-bones sub-only release of a fairly niche title. I don't really understand Sentai's pricing on this title (or a lot of their titles honestly), since I feel like it's the sort of show that would catch a lot more eyes if it wasn't sprawled across 8 separate sets with comparatively high price points. It sucks, because the show seems like it's completely up my alley, but I can't really bring myself to pull the trigger in that format. Unless I decide to make a terrible financial decision...ugh...
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:00 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Beautiful looking show. Personally I thought it was mostly a failure. Tepid teen/young love story mashed together with a poorly conceived sci-fi fantasy. The only way it works at all is by distracting you with the other half of the concept. If you find yourself wanting to smack the emo little brats then you can involve yourself with the convoluted fantasy aspects. Realize that the fantasy makes no GD sense? Spend your time shipping who should get together.

What killed it for me early on was trying to reason with the fact that the underwater world was something akin to a less imaginative version of The Snorks- a bunch of people living underwater in a manner almost imperceptible to those on land. Living in houses, watching regular old Televisions, cooking food in pans on the stove... WALKING from place to place (I think swimming was bad manners or something).

I thought it was an attempt at reframing Japan's limited population growth versus one's own personal desires... what are you willing to give up in order to continue the survival of your community? Or i the community wiling to let you go instead? Or how can you not take your religion seriously when there's a petulant god waiting outside your door... to marry you if you're lucky or maybe eat you as it's kind of hard to fathom what it really wants.

And with those two elements, I'd describe the show as parable as fairy tale/ fantasy than hard science fiction... it rightfully lost that tag when they showed cooking underwater. Wait, the show was never listed a science fiction; I knew I posted that for a reason.

But, nope, emo Snorks. Why didn't I think of that angle? Because this show unlike the Snorks had more points to it than "Smurfs was a hit but what can we do now? Recast it underwater! But without the humans because we don't need the scaling issues."

Only two ocean/fish puns... I must be losing my touch...

And while the Rightstuff sale was done with new stuff Monday, they're still doing new Megadeals until... whenever they feel like it I guess. I've completed two 50 dollar orders with another possible and another probable. Depends on what they do, I guess. When it all ends and what not.

The thing that amused me during this Holiday sale was how Rightstuff managed to pull out a few more OOP Media Blasters titles out of whatever pit they happen to find these things. I ordered one as a cart topper when I checked its resale value.

Even if I don't like it, it's worth four times more than I paid for it. It wasn't Kanonkon; I already sold my copy of that one for 5 times my purchase price.

And the most disappointing part is how Funimation refuses to mark down their outdated sets like they used too. I still have half of Robotics;Notes but now it's cheaper to buy the entire SAVE collection than just the remaindered part 2.... kind of. I like the show but not in that way.

Supposition for next year: Are those Funimation SAVE titles selling for less than 50% off going to be the next ones going OOP?
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:49 am Reply with quote
On the Rightstuf sale, a few things stand out of being of interest to me

1) Robotics;Notes-I know it's no Steins;Gate, but maybe it's still a fun time? I hear it's at least better than Chaos;Head

2) Den-noh Coil-the only problem, it's still pretty pricey. If I can wait another year, it'll probably be cheaper. It's actually cheaper at RACS right now though

3) Time of Eve-I already have the older sub-only release, but is it worth the double dip for the dub and the Pale Cocoon and other short movie? Also, LE or cheaper normal (is the booklet worth it)

4) Blood Blockade Battlefront-I understand it's a fun action show, but it's also pretty pricey.

5) Code:Breaker-I dunno, opinions? It is really cheap

6) The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye-I dunno, opinions?

7-8) HAL movie and TO film-I've read the 2001 Nights manga TO is based on, actually

9) Jormungand-I was so so on the manga, but could see it being better as an anime

10) Majestic Prince-I dunno, opinions?

11) Tazza: The High Rollers-a live action movie this time
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:17 am Reply with quote
Sorry, classicalzawa, I can't help you too much with the opinions you are looking for since, out of the titles I've seen I don't have hugely strongly feelings. Personally, I'm glad I have the LE version of ToE to have the booklet, but I honestly can't guess if you would find it worth it, too.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:33 am Reply with quote
@classicalzawa

I recommend The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye. Interesting world building and interesting characters. It was the show that made me realize just how hung up on their traditional swords the Japanese are. They do, however, give an explanation of its use in an anachronistic location.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:42 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

2) Den-noh Coil-the only problem, it's still pretty pricey. If I can wait another year, it'll probably be cheaper. It's actually cheaper at RACS right now though
I like Denoh Coil but its pricey for a bare bones set. I think I will wait till next year. I would have loved to see it get much nicer treatment and I don't like the art on the cases.

Quote:
3) Time of Eve-I already have the older sub-only release, but is it worth the double dip for the dub and the Pale Cocoon and other short movie? Also, LE or cheaper normal (is the booklet worth it)
I think the LE is worth it at that price, but is it worth it as a double dip? It depends on what matters to you. I own both and there's a little extra footage in the movie. The shorts are ok, but by themselves wouldn't move me to double dip. On the other hand if you are the type of person that likes seeing a creators development it might have value. The packaging is nicer (if that matters to you), the dub was pretty good (again if that matters to you) which I can show to friends who will only watch dubs, and the book has a nice cover but most importantly has a small short story which for me added to the movie.

Quote:
4) Blood Blockade Battlefront-I understand it's a fun action show, but it's also pretty pricey.
Oddly I wasn't blown away by BBB and wasn't in no rush to pick it up.

Quote:
There's probably a reason why its cheap. I read some of the manga and I found it to be just awful crap. If the anime is anything like the manga, yea I'd stay away. I think there were some streaming reviews here that weren't impressed with it either. You can probably find the manga online some place to get a better feel for what you might experience.

Quote:
9) Jormungand-I was so so on the manga, but could see it being better as an anime
I suspect you may find the anime also so-so. It was ok and had some moments, but it sort of became stupid towards the end.

Quote:
Hmmm...I remember thinking it wasn't bad for a mech show, it was missing something and maybe a little too shounen at times, maybe? But it wasn't bad. I think I was like I might watch more of it if they had it. I believe I read they are coming out with a Movie sequel in the next couple of months? Would I buy it, though? No, but if you love mech shows it might not be bad. I think Rebecca might have done a relatively positive review of it here on ANN. I bought Broken Blade as my mech fix this xmas sale. It grew on me and I kept on going back to it. Wish they'd bring the manga back over here again so I could finish the story.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:53 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:

1) Robotics;Notes-I know it's no Steins;Gate, but maybe it's still a fun time? I hear it's at least better than Chaos;Head

6) The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye-I dunno, opinions?

7-8) HAL movie and TO film-I've read the 2001 Nights manga TO is based on, actually

11) Tazza: The High Rollers-a live action movie this time

Out of these, I'd say Time of Eve (OVA and movie), Denoh Coil, and the two Jormungand series are in the must own category for me. Pick up Robotics; Notes, The Third, and Majestic Prince only if they're on the cheap side they are also worth watching at least once. Code Breakers and Blood Blockade Battlefront are skippable in my opinion, I wouldn't buy these.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Ok, I think this is helping a lot! I'm going to skip Code Breaker, and until Blood Blockade Battlefront goes to SAVE or something, I'll skip that too (once it goes SAVE, it will probably be pretty irresistible to me)

Den-noh Coil, I think I'm going to wait a year on, it is damn pricey for barebones release. $70, man! I think I can wait on Jormungand too.

I think I will double dip for Time of Eve after all, I'm still debating if it's worth $30 for the booklet when I can get the movie for $18. I'll find a buyer for my old one.

Probably going to get The Third too. I heard it ends on a cliffhanger though, is it a real one, or just a "this arc is over, the characters go on to have more adventures" thing, so more of a sequel hook than an actual cliffhanger (like the end of Rick & Morty season 2 oh god where is season 3?!), because ending on an actual cliffhanger would suck. As for Japan's obsession with swords, just look at any Final Fantasy game. Every time the characters can have guns, the main guy still has a damn sword. And if he has to have a gun, it will be combined with a sword. I've just kind of accepted that Japan likes swords (and it will be why they survive the zombie apocalypse).

Still not sure on Robotics;Notes, HAL movie, TO film, and Tazza (does no one around here watch K movies?) And I actually have Majestic Prince set 1 (I'm really hoping set 2 can be the $5 blind box item or something), but I won't have time to watch it before the sale ends, so I'd kind of be blind buying set 2. But I am a sucker for most mecha shows, I will admit.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:04 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I think I will double dip for Time of Eve after all, I'm still debating if it's worth $30 for the booklet when I can get the movie for $18. I'll find a buyer for my old one.

I very much wish to obtain the Time Of Eve film at some point. Perhaps 2017 will be the year in which I finally obtain the means of playing blu-ray releases, seeing as my favourite film is finally receiving a high-definition re-release in January.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:26 pm Reply with quote
@classicalzawa

It has been a long time since I saw The Third the Girl with the Blue Eye but I don't remember it ending on a cliff hanger. It was more of a question of "life goes on" for the main characters.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:58 pm Reply with quote
That jibes with my memory, too, Alan45. The series certainly tells a complete story.

@ Zin5ki - you seem to take a positive delight in leaving out key bits of information, thus forcing people to ask a question. Okay, I'll bite: what is your favourite film?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:45 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ Zin5ki - you seem to take a positive delight in leaving out key bits of information, thus forcing people to ask a question. Okay, I'll bite: what is your favourite film?

This, as it happens! I always said I'd abstain from the current disc standard until this was added to its library.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:00 am Reply with quote
@Zin5ki
Damn you! Why must you show me these things when they won't play in my US Playstation? I friggin love that movie, I want it on US bluray tooooo! I'm sure there's a Japanese one out there. A really expensive one.
I'm not sure if Eureka is an anime company over there, but for us, Metropolis is owned by Sony, and they probably forgot it exists in their catalog or something, lowering the chances of a bluray any time soon for us.
Incidentally, did you ever play Astro Boy: Omega Factor for GBA? Between this movie and that game, it got me into Tezuka fully. And now I own every Tezuka manga to have come out in English.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 127 of 132