• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Higurashi: When They Cry GN 19

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
this was my favorite arc of the anime, and I hadn't read any of the manga or source material so I bought it and wanted to support the switch. however I didn't really understand it. did anyone else have this problem.
Ringking

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 2:11 am Reply with quote
^Not really, made plenty of sense to me.

I have to agree that the 'meta' parts at the beginning of this arc felt a little strange, a little off. I've been down this road already twice with the anime and the sound novels and didn't experience that, so I can only conclude that its got more to do with the sequence of events and writing than the content itself. As far as I can remember, the other mediums didn't really make a distinction between Rika and Bernkastel or show them as two individuals, its always been presented as a reader targeted monologue before.

For that matter, should Rika and Bernkastel even be (Spoilers for Higurashi Kai and Umineko Chiru)spoiler[ two individuals in the Higurashi storyline? The impression that I got from Umineko was that the Higurashi story took place on an unattended game board that 'higher plane' Rika had abandoned, and that 'Bernkastel' was the persona taken on by Piece Rika after winning the game and becoming a witch ]
Etrien

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:56 am Reply with quote
Ringking wrote:
^Not really, made plenty of sense to me.

I have to agree that the 'meta' parts at the beginning of this arc felt a little strange, a little off. I've been down this road already twice with the anime and the sound novels and didn't experience that, so I can only conclude that its got more to do with the sequence of events and writing than the content itself. As far as I can remember, the other mediums didn't really make a distinction between Rika and Bernkastel or show them as two individuals, its always been presented as a reader targeted monologue before.

For that matter, should Rika and Bernkastel even be (Spoilers for Higurashi Kai and Umineko Chiru)spoiler[ two individuals in the Higurashi storyline? The impression that I got from Umineko was that the Higurashi story took place on an unattended game board that 'higher plane' Rika had abandoned, and that 'Bernkastel' was the persona taken on by Piece Rika after winning the game and becoming a witch ]

Major Umineko Ending spoilers: spoiler[...No. The two ultimately are unrelated, as was shown in EP8. The parallels seen in Bern, Lambda, Featherine and the Stakes are largely just a homage (and arguably red herring).]

Major Higurashi Ending spoilers: spoiler[(Higurashi's)Bernkastel is the Rika who has lived for 100 years and is no longer Rika, as was more clearly explained in Higurashi Rei. "Rika", then, is the Rika who inhabits each world prior, and represents who she was, as well as what she could have been. The visual novel treats them as separate characters at times, too. But, from our audience perspective, they are essentially the same character - with Frederica Bernkastel being the true protagonist of Higurashi.]
Ringking

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
Uhhh, its been a while since I finished Umineko, but I cant really recall of the top of my heard which part of episode 8 spoiler[shows that the two stories are separate]. Which bit was it again.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1