• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Acquires Kappa Mikey

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
herbkir

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:39 pm Reply with quote
This seems to be a really odd fit for 4Kids and Nickelodeon. Kappa Mikey essentially is an anime-style sitcom based around cultural-clash humor as an American actor tries coping with everyday life in the strange land of Japan after he becomes the unlikeliest hit anime VA. No magic, no swordplay, no spies, no demons, no giant robots, no saving-the-world-from-peril.

Maybe 4Kids/Nick execs think this might appeal to the teens. Or maybe they're testing the waters for an animation block targeted to college/young adult viewers, in hopes of pulling off something analogous to what Cartoon Network did with Adult Swim. How about "4Adults on Nick At Nite?" Don't all shudder at once. (^_*)
Anime_Freak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:22 pm Reply with quote
herbkir wrote:
This seems to be a really odd fit for 4Kids and Nickelodeon. Kappa Mikey essentially is an anime-style sitcom based around cultural-clash humor as an American actor tries coping with everyday life in the strange land of Japan after he becomes the unlikeliest hit anime VA. No magic, no swordplay, no spies, no demons, no giant robots, no saving-the-world-from-peril.

Maybe 4Kids/Nick execs think this might appeal to the teens. Or maybe they're testing the waters for an animation block targeted to college/young adult viewers, in hopes of pulling off something analogous to what Cartoon Network did with Adult Swim. How about "4Adults on Nick At Nite?" Don't all shudder at once. (^_*)

That certainly is the last thing we need, an Adult Swim knock-off. Rolling Eyes Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:13 pm Reply with quote
American man, goes to Japan, becomes a voice actor for anime . . . why do I not see how Nickelodeon is involved in this? In any way?

There had better be some really cool twist to this, or it won't last more than a couple of months.
DjKaos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 5:28 pm Reply with quote
THIS IS NOT ANIME!

Read the press release, people. The series was created by a guy named Larry Schwartz. The company producing it is called Animation Collective, who did the Incredible Crash Dummies shorts that are shown on 4KidsTV.

http://www.kappamikey.com
http://www.animationcollective.com

They've done several asian-themed and anime-influenced shows, and are starting to call their stuff anime. It's not. So don't worry about things like censorship. There won't be any. It's American Produced for a Western Market. If anything, I'd be concerned about the potential for propogation of many a Japanese stereotype. Still not afraid? Check out their preview for "Kung Fu Academy."
arxane

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Anime_Freak wrote:
That certainly is the last thing we need, an Adult Swim knock-off. Rolling Eyes Laughing

We already have (had) one. It was called The Strip (as in Spike TV's The Strip).
keichi san

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:51 pm Reply with quote
American anime is what Kappa mikey looks like. *sigh* on nick too? what is this world coming to?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Arex-kun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Couldn't they atleast get some Japanese text for the background, that makes sense? I mean, it's not that hard.
.Sy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:36 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
what in the hell? wasn't this supposed to be on MTV oriiginally? how did 4kids get it? i don't like the sound of this at all.
Whenever 4Kids picks up anything, I get a bad feeling.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2