• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pop Japan Travel Article in Asahi

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I showed this to PJT and they sent me a full translation of the Japanese article:

Asahi Shinbun wrote:
US Party of 15 Sightseeing Anime

The Japanese Anime/Otaku culture is drawing the attention of foreign tourists. US tours visiting the “home of anime culture” are becoming exceedingly popular, leading to the creation of autonomous groups bringing anime to the core of regional tourism promotion.

For the Love of Studio Visits and Shopping Sprees
Autonomous Groups with Individuals in Charge

One day in February, 15 Americans roughly in their twenties visited anime “Studio Pierrot” in Mitaka, Tokyo. They are the participants of “Pop Japan Travel,” a tour put together by Digital Manga, a company that promotes Japanese manga and anime in the US (located in Los Angeles), and Japanese travel agency HIS.

The group first spent some time watching videos of popular Pierrot produced anime such as Urusei Yatsura, Naruto and Bleach – some members could be heard singing along to the Japanese theme songs. 2 hours were spent in earnest observation of the production team in the midst of its creation process.

The tour departs from the US and spends 9 days sightseeing Japan. Visiting the Ghibli Museum in Mitaka as well as shopping in the anime related stores in Akihabara and Nakano are just a few of the activities the participants engage in.

5 Time Participant

8 tours have been conducted since ’03, attracting a total of 140 participants. Past tours have visited doujinshi exhibition and spot sales event Comiket, as well as other anime and game related events. The next tour will visit the “Tokyo International Anime Fair” taking place at the end of March. JTB has a similar tour in the works.

Ms. Kimberley Falls (20) of Missouri, who is a veteran participant on her 5th tour, enjoys anime revolving around Japanese history and traditional culture. “Ruroni Kenshin,” the tale of a vagabond swordsman living during the Meiji Restoration, is one of her favorites: “The tour lets me visit the actual locations that appeared in the manga.” The tour planner and conductor Isaac Lew of Digital Manga says, “The people that come all the way to Japan have an interest in the country itself.”

The Key to PR

Autonomous bodies are on the rise, promoting an effort to utilize the Japan-born anime culture as a resource for tourism attraction.

With an eighth of the 430 nation-wide animation production companies located within its vicinity, Tokyo has established an anime division in its tourism ward. The Suginami district, which is home to 70 animation companies, has recently established a division in its local government to promote the anime industry.

In February, Tokyo decided on anime as the primary promotional element in its development of “city sales,” a program devoted to promoting Japan overseas. This confidence in anime is unprecedented. The president and director of “Production IG,” producer of popular animation Ghost in the Shell, joined forces to create a commercial featuring Astro Boy as a mascot promoting Tokyo as a tourism spot. At the moment, Japan’s appeal as the home of anime is considered its biggest asset in its tourism industry.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Geeze, five tours and she's only 20, must be nice to have that kind of money... Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DriftRoot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 3:56 pm Reply with quote
The cost of five tours could buy heck of a lot of DVDs. And why's she stuck on Rurouni Kenshin?? WARNING WARNING FANGIRL FANGIRL
Mousemakessushi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:05 am Reply with quote
Insane really...
but i'm a happy fangirl
animaniac

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:53 am Reply with quote
I wish I could do that. Hell if I were here I'd just not come back. Lucky!

I plan to go on at least one of PJT's trips in a year or two probably

I've seen the astro boy commercial to its on fox news all the time (5-10 times I've seen) don't get me wrong I don't watch fox my old man does. But yeah its on alot actually.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mrgazpacho

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:02 am Reply with quote
Mousemakessushi wrote:
Insane really...
but i'm a happy fangirl

Yeah we can tell by your trip reports Laughing
Gusty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:13 am Reply with quote
Wow, I'd so love to take a trip with them. But right now most of my fundage is tied up in getting my own house. Sad

Someday though! I'd love to visit Comiket and Mandarake's shop in Tokyo especially.
linlinchan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't want to go to Comiket, ever.

So very many people. The crowds kill off any attraction that it might have held for me otherwise.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Gusty wrote:

Someday though! I'd love to visit Comiket and Mandarake's shop in Tokyo especially.

Fun fact. Mandarake has a picture book for sale of the CEO shaving the female employees' pubes.
Aka-san

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:51 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:

Fun fact. Mandarake has a picture book for sale of the CEO shaving the female employees' pubes.

Shocked *Jots down next purchase order.

Last edited by Aka-san on Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Talk about loaded...XD Either that or you decided to blow all of your college savings on the trip?

It sounds like a fun trip, but I don't know if I could honestly handle being with the other tourists, what are they like?

Also, do the tours leave free time to the costumers to go..uh, do whatever? I wouldn't even consider going to Japan if I coudln't get into at least 2 or 3 livehouses to see some rock shows.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Well the site sucks (PJT).

Thinking of going on a Winter Tour, but there is no linkage!!

Guess i'm spending my money to go to Ibiza.
Aka-san

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Haru to Ashura wrote:
Also, do the tours leave free time to the costumers to go..uh, do whatever? I wouldn't even consider going to Japan if I coudln't get into at least 2 or 3 livehouses to see some rock shows.

Yes, you have at least one day of free time.
Aka-san

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Well the site sucks (PJT).

Thinking of going on a Winter Tour, but there is no linkage!!

Guess i'm spending my money to go to Ibiza.

That's because the Winter tour 2005 just got back not to long ago, 2006 hasn't been added yet.

I can try and get some previews soon.

- Aka
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I'm agreeing that the site isn't very informative. It should at least have a little info for all seasonal trips avialable at all times, since people have to plan vacations really, really early these days. The fact that they don't have summer info up already is a tad ridiculous.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2