• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Animerica to Change Format

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ampersand

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:02 pm Reply with quote
otaking66 wrote:
And so it begins...one by one all inferior anime mags will fall before the awesome might of NewtypeUSA!! Twisted Evil (by the way...is there any way to pick our next target?? I'm rooting for Anime Insider next!!)

Psh. As if. NT's a gorgeous-looking mag, but it's light on text and is too expensive for the casual consumer. For anyone looking to get into NTUSA on a whim, it'll take just one look at their pricetag for them to move on to Anime Insider, now that they're monthly and much more price-affordable. Too bad about Animerica, though.
.Sy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Captain Crotchspike wrote:
Interesting development. Still, I don't really like Animerica these days, since they seem to make a big deal over the number of reviews on the cover ("44 REVIEWS!" "20 REVIEWS!" "A LOT OF REVIEWS!", other magazines are equally guilty of this) and mostly have these wimpy half-page things with an annoying star rating system. I've always hated those things.

Yep, you've a good point there. I don't especially like Newtype, and actually, no anime magazine so far has gotten past a 3/5 star rating in my book. Newtype has nice stuff and all, but the price? Well, if I wanted to buy a DVD I would just look at some official and fan reviews and then decide instead of going to magazines. The whole $12.95(?) thing just doesn't suit me.
AlphaBlitz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Shocked WHY! Why must they do this? Where's the money coming from for this anyways? Oh well, I should move on to AI, Crying or Very sad
biliano

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:41 pm Reply with quote
.Sy wrote:
Newtype has nice stuff and all, but the price? Well, if I wanted to buy a DVD I would just look at some official and fan reviews and then decide instead of going to magazines.

I'm definitely with you on the Newtype reviews. True, NTUSA is a nice magazine (and I use it extensively as part of my research), but those reviews read like they are shilling the product instead of actually giving a comprehensive review.

And I don't think that NTUSA is boring at all. Razz
Hi no Neko

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:00 pm Reply with quote
So what, no more Animerica at the mom 'n' pop comic stores? Sad. I've seriously got to wonder what Viz is planning with this one. It certainly isn't like they're losing any money. (Which makes even less sense why that would be the reason, considering that these things are going for free.) Maybe they're trying to put more focus on manga anthologies now?

I just love how this whole discussion moved right on to NTUSA. we seem to be masters of that here. Anime hyper
Ranmah

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:48 pm Reply with quote
If this information is true. That truly sucks. I have the first Animerica back in 1993. I haven't had time to read any of the magazines these days. NewTypeUSA is good, but I have carry all my stuff if I move back to states.

All things change.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dirkdirk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:09 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
otaking66 wrote:
And so it begins...one by one all inferior anime mags will fall before the awesome might of NewtypeUSA!! Twisted Evil (by the way...is there any way to pick our next target?? I'm rooting for Anime Insider next!!)

You know their circulation stomps NewtypeUSAs, right?

You write for Anime Insider, don't you?

I don't know what you qualify as "stomps," but I've seen the numbers that both magazines share with advertisers. And they're not as far apart as you'd think.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:15 pm Reply with quote
dirkdirk wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
otaking66 wrote:

You know their circulation stomps NewtypeUSAs, right?

You write for Anime Insider, don't you?

I don't know what you qualify as "stomps," but I've seen the numbers that both magazines share with advertisers. And they're not as far apart as you'd think.

*shrug* I do, but numbers are numbers. Anime Insider circulation is twice that of NewtypeUSA... and that was before they went monthly.
biliano

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:10 pm Reply with quote
dirkdirk wrote:

Anime Insider's circulation is double that of NTUSA and more than triple that of Animerica. For proof, read this thread and this article.

According to both tempest and the ANN article "2004 YIR - Anime Magazines", here are the circulation figures for the Big Three for 2004:

Anime Insider - 150,000
Newtype USA - 75,000
Animerica - 45,000

More hard facts taken from the 2004 YIR article:

The 2004 YIR - Anime Magazine article wrote:
Animerica is surprisingly open about its circulation figures: 45000, according to its 2005 media kit. 80% of the issues bought are picked up off newsstands, the remaining 20% by subscription. Justifying the argument about the possibility of peaceful coexistence between the Big Three, 54% of Animerica readers also read Newtype USA and 45% Anime Insider.

And this:

The 2004 YIR - Anime Magazines article wrote:
The defining feature of Wizard’s Anime Insider is utter and complete irreverence towards all things anime... balanced out by an extremely strong core staff of full-timers, including ANN veteran Zac Betschy, and freelancers. Whether it’s this, the Wizard label, or some combination of the two is, really, beside the point, but one thing is certain: in this particular circulation war, AI (circulation upwards of 150,000) has, at least for now, come out the winner.

So there you go. When Bamboo says AI "stomps" the competition, she means it! Cool
SquidBilly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:09 am Reply with quote
biliano wrote:

Anime Insider's circulation is double that of NTUSA and more than triple that of Animerica. For proof, read this thread and this article.

According to both tempest and the ANN article "2004 YIR - Anime Magazines", here are the circulation figures for the Big Three for 2004:

Actually, the YIR and tempest's post are different except for Animerica (which is sourced as coming from their media kit). The YIR says that Newtype is somewhere between 120,000 and 150,000 and that Insider is upwards of 150,000. Tempest's post has different numbers entirely. And regardless, no sources are cited for any of these except for Animerica's media kit which only revealed Animerica's number.
Zeiram

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:22 am Reply with quote
wasn't animerica the one who said seshoumaru was a villain to the point of even putting him on a top ten list?

sorry, but animerica to me doesn't even know the material they talk about

oh wait maybe that's insider, i'll stand corrected if need be

btw, i have a subscription to newtype and i wouldn't mind more real editorials
Nabeshin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:44 pm Reply with quote
Wait, hello, there is another alternative as well...

Play Magazine. I mean, yeah, its a game mag, but at least it devotes a heck of a lot of room to the anime, and they generally know what they're talking about too. They get some pretty good interviews too, and it looks just as good as NT without being owned by one of the anime bigshots.
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Nabeshin wrote:

Play Magazine. I mean, yeah, its a game mag, but at least it devotes a heck of a lot of room to the anime, and they generally know what they're talking about too. They get some pretty good interviews too, and it looks just as good as NT without being owned by one of the anime bigshots.

I seriously lost faith in the magazine when they gave Lady Death: the Movie a high ranking on one of their Top whatever lists.

Plus every other month, they seem to have more images of ADV properties than others. The lastest issue, they have Graviton Zwei. A couple issues back, they had Neo Ragna. Before that, Lady Death.
Nabeshin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Nabeshin wrote:

I seriously lost faith in the magazine when they gave Lady Death: the Movie a high ranking on one of their Top whatever lists.

Plus every other month, they seem to have more images of ADV properties than others. The lastest issue, they have Graviton Zwei. A couple issues back, they had Neo Ragna. Before that, Lady Death.

Wait a minute. You mean out of the seven reviews Play did, and only two out of the seven were ADV, that automatically makes them ADV lovers?! Given the fact there's really only about 5 or 6 big companies putting out anime, and that leaves 5 separate companies in the remaining reviews, I'd hardly say they're playing favorites.

And let's keep in mind who owns Newtype.... ADV. I mean, how many times are we going to see Evangelion on the cover?!
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Nabeshin wrote:
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Nabeshin wrote:

Wait a minute. You mean out of the seven reviews Play did, and only two out of the seven were ADV, that automatically makes them ADV lovers?! Given the fact there's really only about 5 or 6 big companies putting out anime, and that leaves 5 separate companies in the remaining reviews, I'd hardly say they're playing favorites.

And let's keep in mind who owns Newtype.... ADV. I mean, how many times are we going to see Evangelion on the cover?!

You said it yourself; Thiers a variety of other companies out there; so why are they not using images from those other companies (and not in the reviews mind you)?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3