• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BakaNekoDain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:16 am Reply with quote

BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad (TV)

Genres: comedy, drama, romance, slice of life
Themes: high school, music

Plot Summary: Tanaka Yukio, better known by his nickname Koyuki is a 14 year old who feels disconnected from life in general. Through the act of saving a mismatched dog, he meets guitarist Minami Ryuusuke, and becomes involved in Ryuusuke's new band BECK. Koyuki's life starts to change as the band struggles towards fame.
----------------------------------

I just checked out the first episode of Beck today and was really taken by it. I was wondering if anyone else had some thoughts on the new anime.

I'm a big fan of animes with jrock but this one takes the cake, the Beat Crusaders do some awesome work. The story seems like it has alot of potential as well... but that could just be my take on it.

Any thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
jfrog

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 10:04 am Reply with quote
I haven't checked it out yet, but I'm sure that it's better than 'Hi Hi Puffy AmiYumi'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shinotaku14
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I agree. This show seems like it could be realy good. The OP certainly is entertaining, and the americans in the first episode are darn funny IMO . Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Haven't seen it, but the manga is good. The problem is once I read the manga I don't have much drive to watch the anime, unless I really love it.
MasterFuu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:03 am Reply with quote
I loved the first ep. It seems like this one could have exellent story.
What do you guys think of the three americans who didn't behave nicely to the kids? Is that how Japanese think of Americans? This might was a retarded question but I would like to hear your opinions.

Fuu
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:25 am Reply with quote
It's not available here in Singapore yet (as far as I know) and I have not seen it myself. But I've heard some friends give it pretty good comments so I'm interested.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:56 am Reply with quote
I think it could be one of the best new shows this season. I love Madhouse's animation style, the idea of having an anime about rock music is something that hasn't been cliched to death, and Beck the dog is just plain cute.

But I have a friend who didn't find it very interesting, so there's a differing opinion for ya. Razz
crystar

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:28 am Reply with quote
I found this semi-okay. It was amusing in some places but not completely interesting. I'll probably just watch this occasionally when I have nothing else better to do.
jfrog

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:10 am Reply with quote
Holy crap! Did I just watch anime about the real world that I could...*gasp*... actually relate to? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy shoujo from time to time, but my life isn't like that and I don't know anybody's whose is. This actually had people that I could believe as real teenagers! I have to say that I was very impressed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Iron Chef

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:25 am Reply with quote
Yeah, fo' real. Beck got my attention from the OP and didn't let go until the preview for the next episode. This is going to be the next FLCL or the next Bebop. Lots of cool mixed with a rockin' soundtrack (so far) and super animation. And yeah, I'm curious about the view of the non-Japanese characters in the first episode. It makes you wonder how welcome we are over there...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:55 am Reply with quote
Iron Chef wrote:
It makes you wonder how welcome we are over there...

Probably not very welcome. Especially if you visit those places near the military bases. You must still remember that incident (among others) from some time back, involving some young girl and a couple of GIs. Or that submarine and fishing boat accident.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:50 am Reply with quote
MasterFuu wrote:
What do you guys think of the three americans who didn't behave nicely to the kids? Is that how Japanese think of Americans? This might was a retarded question but I would like to hear your opinions.

Well, I have first-hand experience of (drunk) US soldiers who behaved like that, in the subway. So I don't think it's farfetched at all.

Apart from that, it seems like this show could be cool. There have been some very true comments about how real these people feel. But I think it's still a bit early to judge... the show hasn't really shown itself, only a few hints of what could be,
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Shinotaku14 wrote:
the americans in the first episode are darn funny IMO . Twisted Evil
Maybe its just me but it sounded like the recording studio walked up to some tourist and was like heres some money sound like a drunk ass.

But it sure sounded good not broken japlish.

Beck is defintaly on my to watch list.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
MasterFuu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:40 am Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
MasterFuu wrote:

Well, I have first-hand experience of (drunk) US soldiers who behaved like that, in the subway. So I don't think it's farfetched at all.

Apart from that, it seems like this show could be cool. There have been some very true comments about how real these people feel. But I think it's still a bit early to judge... the show hasn't really shown itself, only a few hints of what could be,

Can I hear your full story please? I'm really interested to hear it.

PS: Next time they bug you just call "Fuu" over and I'll beat them up for ya hehe Smile
tensai

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 9:10 pm Reply with quote
I've just finished watching the first two eps and it seems pretty interesting. I'm definitely watching this until it gets licensed. Now I want to go look for the manga to download...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10