• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Studio Ghibli Screenings on Film4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
…the Radio Times listing says…

Ah, yes. The Radio Times. Our paragon source of critical blurbs and single-paragraph reviews. Long have I taken their words with the most liberal of saline pinches. This being Ghibli though, they'll probably like it. (But not as much as whatever festive frivolity the Beeb wishes to promote this year.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I just watched Ponyo, it was surprisingly good saying that it looks like a film for younger kiddies, and I didn't expect the usual enjoyment I get watching something like Spirited Away which is more obviously intended to appeal to all ages. But it had the usual intelligent themes in it, meaning social commentary about parenthood, and psychological insights into Japan's low birth rate - people don't hate kids, but they worry about their children enough to overinvest in their provisioning for one child even if it isn't for the good of the child. Miyazaki explores the apparent conflict between preserving nature and human instinct, and he ultimately concludes that there really isn't one, because human nature is itself a part of nature, that people shouldn't feel hangups about procreation, if it isn't against nature.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1