• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Detroit Metal City Live Action DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
the film is, nominally at least, intended to stand on its own. The problem is that it doesn't.

And there's the key problem. I don't see a person who hasn't read the manga or watched the series enjoying the movie much.

Meanwhile Viz(?) routinely thoroughly scours Youtube of any clips of the series, so most people can't even get a sample of the brilliance of that version.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rizuchan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I just happened to have rented this movie last night and watched it. While I completely agree with the review, I'm kind of glad I didn't read it before watching it. That's to say I didn't hate this movie at all. The first half was just as hilarious as the anime (haven't read any of the manga yet) and I wasn't disappointed until the second half where, as Carl says, tries WAY too hard to be inspirational. It would have worked much better as just a ridiculous comedy movie.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I actually enjoyed it quite a bit, but I can't deny that this review is extremely accurate.
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:40 pm Reply with quote
The movie is actually how I was introduced to the DMC franchise and I absolutely loved it~ This is probably due to Ken'ichi Masuyama's fabulous portrayal of Krauser more than anything else though...

While I tend to agree with most of Carl's complaints, I still think that the movie is really enjoyable and would recommend it, if only for a gateway to the anime and manga!
Shenl742

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I want to see it based on these alone
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:29 am Reply with quote
I think, on principal, the review is pretty accurate. The original material(anime, at least) is pretty brutal, sadistic even. It's a hi-jacked-square-peg-in-a-round-hole forced to lived a lie, taken to the extremes. The movie is no where near as cruel. I question how well that would translate into a real life depiction.

I'd care more if I didn't like the movie, but I do...and so has everyone I've shown it to.They have not taken to the anime as well.

Generally, I don't like when an adaptation deviates from the original. Especially, when it involves the internal logic. However, I don't think the movie adds things that weren't in the story as much as it gives them more screen time. I don't think shifting the perspective rises quite to crime that the review wants it to.

The weak points for me were the battle of the bands and Gene Simmons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1