• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Genshiken: Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkhunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Genshiken: This is the story of college freshman Kanji Sasahara and his fellow members of the college club he joins, The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture (aka Genshiken), as he goes shopping for doujinshi, attends conventions and slowly but surely makes his way down the road to fandom.

So far I've only seen the first couple of episode. The animation isn't that great. The music is okay. It doesn't have crazy action, crazy mechs or fantastic fantasy setting. But damn is show really great. It's basically a show about an Otaku club and follow the lives of otakus of different kind. Just watching them is amusing and interesting. The way they speak, act and talk, thier character and personally (overall geekiness) shine. A lot of funny moment that isn't force upon you, it just comes off naturally. We can't just have a show where nothing happen, there need to be friction and that's when Kasukabe (the anti-otaku girlfriend) comes in to stir trouble.

The anime itself just follow the lives of these otakus and thier activities. Remind of that movie "revenge of the nerds"

The characters:

Sasahara - Your normal guy at first, shy and embarassed, not at full otaku status at first. He's your normal otaku guy.

Madarame - The Most otakus of them all. This guys is beyond human comprehension. He's also the big reason why Genshiken is so great. He's very overdramatic.

Kaguyama - The shy and reserve otaku. A large fellow in size and has a hard time speaking his mind. Pretty much a "follower".

Tanaka - His specialty is designing costume for cosplay and building mech model.

Kosaka - Even though many people don't believe he's an otaku, he's very much into the fandom. His best quality is probably playing videogame in which he spend most of this time doing. He's also clueless and has a girlfriend but usually blow her off because of his otakuness.

Kasukabe - Kosaka's girlfriend. She really hate Otaku, and is trying to change Kosaka into a normal guy. Eventurally she's slowly becoming part of them?

So far from what I seen, I think this is one of the most underrated new shows in years. I don't want to overhype it, but it's great stuff. Makes me want to join a anime club...maye not. I'll probably going to pick up the manga.

Last edited by darkhunter on Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:58 pm; edited 10 times in total
El Oso

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:39 am Reply with quote
Poor Kosaka, he's so clueless about his girlfriend it can be irritating at times Mad
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:45 pm Reply with quote
El Oso wrote:
Poor Kosaka, he's so clueless about his girlfriend it can be irritating at times Mad

Poor Kosaka?spoiler[ LOL like having 2 girls fall in love with him isn't enough, he get to enjoy his hobbies like kicking ass in videogames. I say poor Madarame, that one episode with Madarame & Kasukabe alone in the same room was a classic. ]

Not all Otaku are the same. There are many types of Otaku. Cool
Advent_Nebula

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:05 pm Reply with quote
It comes out on DVD in July, and I am buying it.
El Oso

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:46 am Reply with quote
darkhunter wrote:
El Oso wrote:

Poor Kosaka?spoiler[ LOL like having 2 girls fall in love with him isn't enough, he get to enjoy his hobbies like kicking ass in videogames. I say poor Madarame, that one episode with Madarame & Kasukabe alone in the same room was a classic. ]

spoiler[Hehe, I say that because he doesn't realize that Saki wants him in bed Shocked ]
I agree, that was a great episode, especially the flashback to Madarame in... Junior High(?) Laughing
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:12 am Reply with quote
Genshiken is probably one of my favorite recent shows, next to FMA. I love the characters, and I absolutely love the way that their lives unfold throughout the series.

I really like Saki. I mean, she seems like a bit of a meanie sometimes, but I really feel for her. She really does want to try to get into fandom, but with other people's (and her own) prejudices in the way, it just isn't possible for her.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:20 am Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
Genshiken is probably one of my favorite recent shows, next to FMA. I love the characters, and I absolutely love the way that their lives unfold throughout the series.

I really like Saki. I mean, she seems like a bit of a meanie sometimes, but I really feel for her. She really does want to try to get into fandom, but with other people's (and her own) prejudices in the way, it just isn't possible for her.

Yup, I have to agree with you, it's one of my favorite shows on par with FMA. And the series wouldn't be as great if it wasn't for Saki's conflict with the otakus. And she's not really mean, I just think that's how most people would react when put in that situation.

I like the way the otakus react. wheater they're staring into space (ohno is scary sometimes) or all laughin together over an inside joke that commoners wouldn't get. It's seem so realistic. Cross-references to many past classic titles like Lupin and so on. There was a guy that was cosplaying Doraemon and they use actually game footage from Guilty Gear. Nice.
Can't wait to check out more of Genshiken when the manga is coming out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1