• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fafner DVD Release

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:31 am Reply with quote
I'm still getting Gundam SEED deja vu. That and a heaping of angst.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:32 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the animation looks just like Gundam Seed, Gundam Seed was produced by Sunrise and Fafner by Xebec. Makes you wonder if they used the same animators though.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:43 am Reply with quote
First couple episodes seriously reminded me of a RahXephon with Gundam SEED characters. Thank God that's not the case since it really did get better towards the end.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:32 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it really is a pretty good series. I highly recommend it. It stands solidly on it's own, IMO.
aegeus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:24 am Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
Makes you wonder if they used the same animators though.

Seed and Fafner share the same character designer, Hirai Hisaishi. The similiarites pretty much stop there. The mecha themeselves are very different from Seed's Gundams, and Fafner is so much angstier, and has a bit more serious a tone than Seed did. A bit closer to Evangelion, but without all of Anno's crazy hijinks.
Sir_Brass

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:56 am Reply with quote
Yeah, some call it an eva ripoff, but it only resembles Eva, and it also takes a totally different twist on things and has a different view of humanity and the world than Eva does.

And I must say that the mecha designs for Fafner are pretty darn cool. Extremely far out, but VERY cool. I also like how alot of germanic mythology (norse and others) is incoperated, including the use of german in naming the fafners spoiler[(I thought naming Kazuki's fafner "Mark Sein" and then his ultimate nemesis' fafner "mark Nichts" was VERY appropriate).]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1