• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Voice Actor to Play Ryoko for Tenchi OVA 3

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:21 pm Reply with quote
This is depressing to hear that the actress who voiced the dub for Ryoko won't be returning but these things happen all of the time. While we can all guess as to why this is, I wish her luck with her next project.

BHut, at least the majority of the cast is returning. This is also positive news for fans of this anime series.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Even though Ryoko was only in episode 17, it doesn't really hurt things here since this is the OVA and she is in every episode.

--EDIT 1--
BTW, since there are more than one Ryoko in GXP, which Ryoko are we talking about (I'm talking about Tenchi's Ryoko above)

--EDIT 2--
After reading the story, it looks like they'll be using the original voice actors from the first 2 OVA's. This is even cooler, though I didn't listen to the dub, so I don't know what Ryoko originally sounded like.

AND

Quote:

Indeed, it's no secret that I won't be returning as Ryoko.
I feel it would be unprofessional to reveal the details of
why and why not. We just weren't able to work it out.

Meaning she wanted more money and FUNimation couldn't grant the request.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
LuckyAstei

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:51 pm Reply with quote
this is looking better by the minute, she was the one major complaint of the old dub cast I had, she sounded she should be hitting on Ayeka more than hitting on Tenchi.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:53 pm Reply with quote
When it's stated that they're referring to a particular anime series in this case they're talking about the original English voice actor from the first two OVA series from Episode 1-13.
Shirasagi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:37 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame that Petrea Burchard won't be back for OVA-3, I personally thought she was great as Ryoko. I hope whoever takes over does a good job. Nice to know the rest of the original dub cast will be back, though.

kusanagi-sama, I know of a website that has high-quality Tenchi Muyo sound clips, of which there are a few of Petrea Burchard's Ryoko: http://www.washu.org/media/wavs-e.html
Vekou

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Fine with me. I can't stand the old dub. They should recast everyone, if you ask me.
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Confused I guess that makes you one of the rare few.

Pat did an pretty good job as Ryoko in the past Tenchi series and it's too bad she couldn't come back for the 3rd OVA series for whatever reason (not always money).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Shirasagi wrote:
It's a shame that Petrea Burchard won't be back for OVA-3, I personally thought she was great as Ryoko. I hope whoever takes over does a good job. Nice to know the rest of the original dub cast will be back, though.

kusanagi-sama, I know of a website that has high-quality Tenchi Muyo sound clips, of which there are a few of Petrea Burchard's Ryoko: http://www.washu.org/media/wavs-e.html

I own the Geneon Signature Series Tenchi Muyo OVA DVD's, so that link isn't really necessary, I hardly ever listen to dubs, but I do if I'm busy doing something else.

I did listen to some of those audio files, she really has a pretty good voice, but it doesn't make sound Ryoko like the Japanese Seiyuu made Ryoko sound like with the sort a evil voice at times.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Grico

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 3:59 pm Reply with quote
That's sad news, Ryoko was my favorite dub voice in the Tenchi series. Although it is hard to disentangle whether she was my favorite because Ryoko was my favorite character...
masaki86

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:08 pm Reply with quote
by the way, how can we take this as true, it is merely one users word.

he/she could easily have faked it.

also, if true, this is very dissapointing, she was my favourite VA in tenchi, perfroming well in every series/movie.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:17 pm Reply with quote
masaki86 wrote:
by the way, how can we take this as true, it is merely one users word.

he/she could easily have faked it.

Because I wouldn't be so stupid as to make something like this up. Obviously Chris trusts my word, or it wouldn't be up in the news. I'm pretty sure anyone who's been here any amount of time knows that I play things straight. If they don't they've never said anything to me.
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 5:33 pm Reply with quote
This really bombs. Sad Petrea was perfect for Ryoko. I'm one of her fans. I first watched Tenchi Muyo! OVA 1 in English on TV and it was my first big hit anime.
This is really depressing news Crying or Very sad *sigh*

Who would make an alternative Ryoko then?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
O-chan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:01 pm Reply with quote
As long as they don't have Mona Marshall reprise Ryoko, I won't feel the urge to break things.

O-chan
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kusanagi_Kei

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:24 pm Reply with quote
O-chan wrote:
As long as they don't have Mona Marshall reprise Ryoko, I won't feel the urge to break things.

O-chan

Hahaa, Mona Marshall wouldn't sound right for Ryoko. Call me crazy and I know that I am now, but I thought of Lia Sargent before. Confused (that's me talking nuts, so forget I said that) Rolling Eyes

I've seen a lot of English dubs and still am, and I can't seem to sum up a seiyuu that suits Ryoko as good as Petrea did.

Oh I know, how about Mimi Woods? Hehehe. Her voice doesn't have the rough sound like Petrea has, but I heard her angry mood from El Hazard and also from the cool Motoko Kusanagi. Hm.. maybe not, her voice sounds too thin or firm.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
hikura

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:48 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:

AND

Quote:

Indeed, it's no secret that I won't be returning as Ryoko.
I feel it would be unprofessional to reveal the details of
why and why not. We just weren't able to work it out.

Meaning she wanted more money and FUNimation couldn't grant the request.

As the person stated they could not express why they are not returning to the voice actoring in the show.You can not say with any sort of certainy that it was the "money issue".
While i prefer the orginial japanese over the english verison it would have been cool to have all of the orginial cast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4