• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dirty Pair Sub.DVD Boxset 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Since I typically pay attention to the words of a review and not the arbitrary scores at the end I will say that this one actually did a great job of selling the series to me when I weighed what Carlo said about the content against what I like instead of what he seems to not like since it seems we have different tastes.

I've always been on the fence about Dirty Pair, but this review has it sounding like exactly the kind of show I would enjoy greatly as something to chill too after work with a beer in hand and possibly even some of that popcorn.

Probably going to pick this up soon.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm in the same boat as Kaioshin_Sama. I do already own it though, although I have not watched it yet. Despite Carlo's negative reaction, his review, along with Erin's, just cements in my mind that I made a great purchasing decision. In fact, with the way he describes the show, I'm confused on why he wouldn't like it, it just sounds so awesome.
Wrial Huden

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...dated visual designs may not excite modern-day fans.

Well, maybe not. Then again, this release isn't really for them, is it? If they prefer to pass this over for the latest Bleach or Naruto release, fine.

Dirty Pair was the first anime I ever watched outside of what was being shown on North American TV at the time (i.e. - Robotech, Voltron). I first caught it at a convention in Atlanta in the late 80s (yeah, showing my age here, whatever!). Later I came across Flight 005 Conspiracy at the video store (the old Streamline dub) and promptly scooped it up. Dirty Pair was rather cool for its time and still has some value to it over 20 years later (otherwise why would Nozomi release the TV series....finally someone did!).

Rather harsh review! That's fine! It's not the end-all be-all of anime series and doesn't try to be! It is what it is...
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:37 pm Reply with quote
For me, nostalgia is a factor-- when I first saw Dirty Pair (Project EDEN was my first), I had seen nothing like it before and thought it was amazing.

The better-animated episodes of this show are a joy. There's...

...just

...so

...much

...to look at! I also have always dug the chemistry that Kei and Yuri have, reinforced nicely by their seiyuu, Kyoko Tonguu and Saeko Shimazu.

They're a fun pair of characters.

The first set does have some obvious (and kind of woefully hilarious) dips in animation and storytelling quality, but it's solid, and the second half gets better. This was a day-zero purchase for me, I'm happy to have it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
pajmo9

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:47 am Reply with quote
My first experience with the Dirty Pair was the OAVs which I ended up not really enjoying that much. I later purchased ADVs movie collection and ended up loving Project Eden and Flight 005 Conspiracy so I decided to check out the original TV series and I've been enjoying it immensely so far. I can't wait to get the second half.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:54 am Reply with quote
Definitely something I would like to see streaming first (at least a few episodes as a sample) as I've been burned one too many times on older shows like this. I really find a lot of the 80's stuff hard to gauge as I've gone back and checked out stuff like Gunbuster, Macross, & Votoms which were really awesome but have also seen a lot of crap like Bubblegum Crisis and Megazone 23.

I presume this is a lot like Crusher Joe since it's the based on novels done by the same author? In which case I would probably pass as wile I thought Crusher Joe was alright it was nothing spectacular either.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:58 am Reply with quote
BeanBandit wrote:
Definitely something I would like to see streaming first (at least a few episodes as a sample) as I've been burned one too many times on older shows like this. I really find a lot of the 80's stuff hard to gauge as I've gone back and checked out stuff like Gunbuster, Macross, & Votoms which were really awesome but have also seen a lot of crap like Bubblegum Crisis and Megazone 23.

Bite your tongue! Megazone 23 is great stuff. Mad Razz

But it's not like there aren't bad shows in every era. So really, in the end, it's not that "80s stuff is hard to guage" it's more that shows in general--as always--are hard to guage. I mean, it's not like you go into every show made today knowing you'll like it, right? Very likely you'll like and hate just as many shows made in the 2000s as you would in the 80s. So there's no need to fixate on eras, really.

Dirty Pair is merely one show out of hundreds of anime that were made in the 80s. To prop it up as representative of an entire era would be ignorant. If you don't like DP then assume that not liking DP would therefore mean you don't like 80s anime...that is the height of insanity. I know it's not what people mean when they say that DP is not for them, but Carlos' review sure makes it sound that way!!
Basilisk Steven

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote
You know, anime fandom is like Logan's Run. Only instead of getting killed once you hit 30, you get to watch everything you once cherished getting trashed.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Basilisk Steven wrote:
You know, anime fandom is like Logan's Run. Only instead of getting killed once you hit 30, you get to watch everything you once cherished getting trashed.

Though from all the drama people here are raising over this review, you'd almost think they were getting killed.

I suppose I'm kind of glad for this though, the "ANN Hates Moe Forum Complaining" was a getting a bit old, so I guess 2010 will start off as the year of the arguably less seemy "ANN Hates Old Stuff Forum Complaining" trend. Rolling Eyes
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Basilisk Steven wrote:

Funny, I'm 31 and am perfectly capable of recognizing the flaws in things I cherish, and don't take it personally when someone criticizes a TV show or a movie I love. That might have more to do with being 'an adult' than 'an anime fan' though!
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Is it me or does this make no sense at all???

I already knew ADV licensed and dubbed Flash , and some of the OVA , BUT I was preety sure that ADV licensed and gave a dub for the TV series of the Original Dirty Pair , unless Right Stuff dropped it.

I watched some of the epsiodes from ADV in full dub during the mid 2000's when I watched it when Showtime Beyond Showed both dubs of the original as well as Flash.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Basilisk Steven

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
Though from all the drama people here are raising over this review, you'd almost think they were getting killed.
I suppose I'm kind of glad for this though, the "ANN Hates Moe Forum Complaining" was a getting a bit old, so I guess 2010 will start off as the year of the arguably less seemy "ANN Hates Old Stuff Forum Complaining" trend. Rolling Eyes

Zac wrote:
Funny, I'm 31 and am perfectly capable of recognizing the flaws in things I cherish, and don't take it personally when someone criticizes a TV show or a movie I love. That might have more to do with being 'an adult' than 'an anime fan' though!

Hold on, because I get the feeling my comment is being interpreted as an attack against this review and the opinions expressed within. That was not my intention. I was commenting in general (and rather flippantly, I’ll admit) on the generational gap between often misguided nostalgia on the one hand and strict dedication to the new and the hip on the other hand that seems to be an ingrained part of western anime fandom, as some of the comments whenever an “older” title is discussed show.
Sure, it’s a part of any kind of fandom and anything that attracts a cult following, but it’s especially accute with anime. For example, no fantasy fan would claim “Harry Potter And The Philosopher’s Stone” (1997) is an old novel, just like no scifi-fan would say “Independence Day” (’96) is an old movie, yet something like Trigun (’98) is already happily being discussed as “an old series”.
Yes, and I do realize the main reason for this is that anime fandom is rather young (in terms of it having developed in the west, not in terms of the age of its members) and that skewers the perspective on what is old and new. I’m just hoping that with time we will naturally evolve towards a situation in which a show’s age should not be such a hot topic of conversation, instead of towards the rather dystopian image I used in my previous comment.

Oh, and though I like The Dirty Pair, I wouldn’t exactly consider it a personal favorite, so I have no vested emotional interest here.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Basilisk Steven wrote:
Only instead of getting killed once you hit 30, you get to watch everything you once cherished getting trashed.

Really think this is true? Wait a few more years and you'll experience for yourself what really happens.

In about 10 years, you'll wake up one day and go "Damn! What was the name of that series where the blue haired girl was showing off her panties while battling 3 armed garden gnomes with braided and ribboned beards?"

You'll spend days, possibly weeks, trying to remember when, one day, it's the "Eureka!" moment you've been waiting for and can be shipped to you within 3 days on this format called "Dee Vee Dee".

You remember you have one of these players stored in the attic, so you battle rusty nails, dead rodents, and the Spider from Hell to dig it out, hoping it'll work with your new digital TV with formats alien to those born after 2005.

You hook it up, fire up the Geneon Wave Inducer to pop some genetically altered corn, and sit down to watch all 52 episodes of "Dancing Gnomes of Gallgaleelee Yonk Yonk" only to barf by episode 4 and exclaim What in the hell did I ever see in this pile of crap?

I promise it's going to happen.
though probably not as described in such detail above
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:23 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Is it me or does this make no sense at all???

I already knew ADV licensed and dubbed Flash , and some of the OVA , BUT I was preety sure that ADV licensed and gave a dub for the TV series of the Original Dirty Pair , unless Right Stuff dropped it.

I watched some of the epsiodes from ADV in full dub during the mid 2000's when I watched it when Showtime Beyond Showed both dubs of the original as well as Flash.

The 1985 TV series was never licensed on video in the states. In 1990, Streamline brought a short 10 episode
1987 OVA series along with a '85 OAV, 1986 film, and 1989 final OAV "005 Flight Conspiracy to video here in the US. These titles were license rescued by ADV Films in 1999 after Streamline folded. These are likely what you saw on TV.

As for the review, I don't feel that its a personal attack I feel that ANN's review crew's open cynicism against the franchise will alienate newer otaku from giving the series a shot and I fear that harsh reviews like this will only make TRSI feel as if they wasted money on aqcuiring an old,rare and valuable license that never saw light of day in America during the late 1980s and 90s when it really could have become a sucessful franchise.
Basilisk Steven

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
You hook it up, fire up the Geneon Wave Inducer to pop some genetically altered corn, and sit down to watch all 52 episodes of "Dancing Gnomes of Gallgaleelee Yonk Yonk" only to barf by episode 4 and exclaim What in the hell did I ever see in this pile of crap?

I promise it's going to happen.
though probably not as described in such detail above

Yep, already been through that years ago. I've now reached the stage where I'm actually re-buying series I sold off when the nostalgia goggles got broken because they're starting to grow on me again. By the time I reach 60, I'll probably like Scooby Doo again. Laughing

GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
As for the review, I don't feel that its a personal attack I feel that ANN's review crew's open cynicism against the franchise will alienate newer otaku from giving the series a shot
Except that Shelf Life gave it a glowing review.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4