• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dirty Pair Sub.DVD Boxset 1

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:
J-Syxx wrote:
Dirty Pair has never been available in the US. What the hek would it have to do with nostalgia for most viewers?

You're mistaken, sir. The Dirty Pair were introduced to American audiences in 1988, with Adam Warren and Toren Smith's licensed comics (despite being only loosely attached to the anime and Takachiho's novels, these American comics are pretty good IMO). Streamline pictures released the Dirty Pair films on videocassette in 1993. While the TV series hasn't been commercially available, American fans have been cognizant of the characters for about 20 years.

So yeah, nostalgia absolutely plays a role in this show's appeal.

I disagree with Carlo's conclusions, but have no complaints about his review. If I agreed with most or all of the reviews I read, I'd start to worry.

I think he meant the 1985 TV series. Its true that its been never licensed in the states. I understand he dislikes the series. That I can respect but I fear blacklash of sheep people who actually will take his opinion too seriously instead of having thier own.

I could understand cold reception if the license were owned by a larger label, but I don't want want to see TRSI suffer poor returns and not want invest in the other DP titles for license rescue or the final 2 episodes.

Crictism against this series is sometimes a little too unfair as far as I'm concerned.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:

I could understand cold reception if the license were owned by a larger label, but I don't want want to see TRSI suffer poor returns and not want invest in the other DP titles for license rescue or the final 2 episodes.

Crictism against this series is sometimes a little too unfair as far as I'm concerned.

This site isn't somehow monolithic in its judgment; Carlo's review isn't going to have any impact whatsoever on TRSI's business decisions. TRSI will license more Dirty Pair if it makes sense for them to do so.

And yes, we get it, you and J-Syxx (who has been banned for his inability to not be as obnoxious and nasty as possible about a review he doesn't like) have said your piece, locking this thread. Enough.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4