• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What happened to Shelf Life?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaoskiller2000

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Shelf Life was one of my favorite columns but its been awhile since there has been a new one. One of my favorite parts was seeing everyone's collections. Along with the mini reviews of course. It used to be weekly. Did something happen? Is it no longer a column?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:21 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo went to Otakon, so that's likely held things up
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Actually, it's not just Otakon. Zac and Bamboo mentioned this on twitter; Bamboo is taking some time off while she finishes her dissertation. So no Stream or Shelf Life for little while, I think we may see them return in September.

My brother-in-law is working on a PhD, and from what I've heard from him about how much insane work it is, I'm actually surprised Bamboo didn't need to take off time before now. I wish her the best of luck!
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I too was wondering what had happened with Bamboo, since at the end of the latest Shelf Life she mentioned she'd have the first Summer Stream ready by next week and that was nearly a month ago. Oh well, guess I'll have to wait. I've seen many friends being consumed by their dissertations -and I'll probably be so myself in a year's time- so I understand how busy she must be.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Zac and Bamboo mentioned this on twitter

This is the kind of thing that should be posted on the front page not just on twitter. Not everyone looks at twitter. I couldn't find it if I had to.

Our local paper posts a columnist's logo with a short note that the individual is taking a break. Usually in the location where the column would be found. It shouldn't be hard to do that.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Quote:
Zac and Bamboo mentioned this on twitter

This is the kind of thing that should be posted on the front page not just on twitter. Not everyone looks at twitter. I couldn't find it if I had to.

Our local paper posts a columnist's logo with a short note that the individual is taking a break. Usually in the location where the column would be found. It shouldn't be hard to do that.

It's pretty easy to check Twitter though. She is probably busy, so it's easier to do short post there than a long drawn out here though potentially.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:57 pm Reply with quote
The hiatus announcement was actually supposed to go in a column that would've been published a few weeks back, but the hiatus had to be moved up, so that column never got written. Apologies.

Shelf Life and The Stream will return in a couple weeks. Bamboo has to finish an incredibly long academic career first.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:15 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering what happened to The Stream and am glad that it is coming back. Was worried that it got dropped.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
stove top stuffing

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I also look forward to Bamboo resuming shelf life. I don't always agree with her view on things, but I really like her writing style.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1