• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: K Anime Gets Sequel Green-Lit

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:57 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Makes sense. It sold pretty well...

It did? Huh, the Oricon figures were very disappointing, I thought.

Maybe disappointing to what some people expected, but it still sold more than enough to make a solid profit... and its also a very marketable anime merchandise wise.
dragon695

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
PrecisionCrab wrote:
Is this show any decent? Please say it is.

Did you like Durarara? Do you like style over substance?

If you answered yes to either of those, then you'll probably think the show is decent.

I liked durarara but that is not style over substance atleast not anywhere close to the degree that durarara was. durarara has a carefully unfolding narrative I seriously doubt that is the case with K.

No my friend, it is you who does not understand! There is plenty of substance to K, it is just a matter of finding it! K is a truly revolutionary work of art! Why the postmodernism that K eschews simply cannot be understood by the unwashed proletariat! [/sarcasm]

Yeah, I know I've done this schtick before, but I think it is funny how the blurb from the preview guide talked about how K was going to revolutionize anime. Quite frankly, I found it to be incomprehensible nonsense. Well animated nonsense, but nonsense nonetheless. Viz could of had monkeys doing the subbing and it would have made more sense.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
K was fun.

It was insane, bizarre, disjointed, confusing, beautiful, blue and fun.

I thoroughly enjoyed the show from start to (hopefully at least, will find out shortly) finish.

Its one of those shows where you can tell everyone involved had a lot of fun.
dragon695

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Cam0 wrote:
glitteringloke wrote:
the only reason i didn't drop it after my 3 trial eps was that it was ONLY 13 eps long. ><

the writing is a hot mess. most of it doesn't make sense and when they do try and explain things, it's so far down the line that i just don't CARE. it's pretty and has great voice acting. that's all i see going for it.

it's the disappointment level that Togainu no Chi gave me :/ so much wasted potential

Hey who cares about the plot when the cleaning robots have a recognizable voice actor.

I thought the cleaning robots were the best part of the series! Show some respect! You hillbilly samurai! You're too kind! Laughing
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote
You people are way too negative. It was an awesome series. Personally, I'm very excited for a continuation! I loved it!
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote
Ok, just finished the last episode, which was essentially perfect.

My body is not ready for K2: spoiler[The Search for Shiro]
Shinmetorii

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:28 am Reply with quote
Newcomer here... Geez, are you guys always so critical of anime?
So maybe K wasn't the absolute best anime. I wasn't expecting it to be, as most original anime aren't. Still, I thought it was fun and enjoyable for the most part. The comedy had me laughing, the action scenes were nice (though short), and while the plot had a rocky start, later episodes cleared up a lot. If you stick with it to the end, things will make so much more sense by the time it's over. And since there's going to be sequel (hopefully), I'm sure more will be explained then.
...It doesn't hurt that it has ridiculous amounts of shiny pretty, either. I mean, just look at that scenery. And those character designs. *U*
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:03 am Reply with quote
Divineking wrote:

Honestly that's the one complaint against the show I've never really gotten. I can understand if you think they didn't explain a lot (and you do have to connect the dots for some of it) but it's honestly not that hard to follow and most of the events are foreshadowed enough in advance that it makes sense within the context of the show. Heck even half the stuff they didn't fully explain wasn't all that hard to piece together.

The show does have problems though(the biggest being having way too many characters for a 13 episode show to have a fully fleshed out cast) though I think if the show had been marketed as a mystery series(which is quite obviously what it actually is) instead of whatever...that marketing campaign was it could have avoided some of the issues with initial reactions but eh. Ultimently the show isn't as bad as it'll probably be remembered as.

You HAVE to do exposition, it's screenwriting 101. It's an absolute requirement and trying to avoid it or put it off ALWAYS leads to a mess. I literally had NO clue what the hell was going on in the first three episodes and not for lack of trying until the VERY end of 3 where Not-Yuu Kanda stops the pacing DEAD to provide an info dump. This is pretty slipshod storytelling. There are better ways to do it and the fact that it DIDN'T makes the writing come off as amateur.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:07 am Reply with quote
This just made my night. I can't wait for more!
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:41 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
K was fun.

It was insane, bizarre, disjointed, confusing, beautiful, blue and fun.

I thoroughly enjoyed the show from start to (hopefully at least, will find out shortly) finish.

Its one of those shows where you can tell everyone involved had a lot of fun.

I haven't actually watched it yet. But I skimmed over parts of various episode just to get a superficial feel.
And yes... it's so very blue, and green, and violet... with shiny bishounen (yep I can see the fujoshi attraction), with rainbow gradients.

Anyways, does it end on a cliffhanger? I like to marathon shows. Is the story cohesive enough to warrant waiting for the second season?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:03 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:

Anyways, does it end on a cliffhanger? I like to marathon shows. Is the story cohesive enough to warrant waiting for the second season?

The immediate crisis at hand is resolved, but there are still unresolved issues.
sburstall

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:40 am Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Probably not, considering Shuffle had that whole Kitto Kitto Kaede club.

"Not the guys with the sheets."

Like Medaka Box a few seasons back, worst anime of the season gets a sequel. Oh, Japan.

And since Sword Art Online is almost definitely getting a sequel, that would make three seasons in a row where the worst show gets a sequel.

You must have watched a completely different SAO than the rest of the population.

daisy23 wrote:
Not gonna rant about fujoshi haters because it's known that K was meant to appeal to both demographics and every series with at least 2 male characters will have fujoshis like it or not.

But K being shallow or not having a decent plot is really false if you've seen the whole series and have paid attention to the visual hints spoiler[like the poster of the Isana temple (Isana Yashiro in Japanese) which already gave away that Shiro made up his name in the first episode].

Remember that K is not only an anime it has two ongoing mangas, K: Memory of Red which is selling pretty good, especially since it's set before Totsuka was killed and focuses on the Homra characters who are always on the background in the anime and K: Stray Dog story which is just Yatogami Kuroh's adventures before the anime; and two novels which were sold out before they were even released, especially K: Red side.

All this material aside from the anime has sell very well and helps you to understand more things, although K: Blue side had some part of its plot still unsolved, probably to sell more novels in the future or for this second season.

Thanks for the explanation. I was wondering what could be done on a second season. I did find the series interesting.
SuperVegetto

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote
sburstall wrote:
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Probably not, considering Shuffle had that whole Kitto Kitto Kaede club.

"Not the guys with the sheets."

Like Medaka Box a few seasons back, worst anime of the season gets a sequel. Oh, Japan.

And since Sword Art Online is almost definitely getting a sequel, that would make three seasons in a row where the worst show gets a sequel.

You must have watched a completely different SAO than the rest of the population.

daisy23 wrote:
Not gonna rant about fujoshi haters because it's known that K was meant to appeal to both demographics and every series with at least 2 male characters will have fujoshis like it or not.

But K being shallow or not having a decent plot is really false if you've seen the whole series and have paid attention to the visual hints spoiler[like the poster of the Isana temple (Isana Yashiro in Japanese) which already gave away that Shiro made up his name in the first episode].

Remember that K is not only an anime it has two ongoing mangas, K: Memory of Red which is selling pretty good, especially since it's set before Totsuka was killed and focuses on the Homra characters who are always on the background in the anime and K: Stray Dog story which is just Yatogami Kuroh's adventures before the anime; and two novels which were sold out before they were even released, especially K: Red side.

All this material aside from the anime has sell very well and helps you to understand more things, although K: Blue side had some part of its plot still unsolved, probably to sell more novels in the future or for this second season.

Thanks for the explanation. I was wondering what could be done on a second season. I did find the series interesting.

He hasn't. SAO is shit. But what he said about one of the best anime in the season (Medaka Box Abnormal) is pretty [expletive] stupid
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
You don't need to quote an entire post containing quotes from three other posts just to say you disagree with someone's opinion of two shows that aren't even on topic for this thread.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
SuperVegetto

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
You don't need to quote an entire post containing quotes from three other posts just to say you disagree with someone's opinion of two shows that aren't even on topic for this thread.

I did it because I felt like it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5