• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds Kiddy Girl-and, Mushi-Uta

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:47 pm Reply with quote
TJR wrote:
The license must've really dropped in price.

These titles are all part of their Kadokawa partnership deal:
animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2010-09-15/kadokawa-pictures-to-stream-16-anime-series-on-crunchyroll
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Sacto0562

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:50 am Reply with quote
Kiddy Grade (I have it on DVD)--surprisingly good series, and one of series that put the GONZO animation atudio "on the map."

Kiddy Girl-and--talk about a big drop in storytelling quality! Rolling Eyes Animation is not bad, though.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:54 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Rolling Eyes You don't hunt Mushi. No no. You gotta respect the Mushi. Did Ginko teach you nothing?!
Things have gone way downhill subce Ginko's time ~ seems the lesson did not take, and the mushi've morphed into giant insects that possess people as a protective reaction.

If only people had listened to Ginko!

I didn't have TAO's reaction of marathoning it, but after watching the first, I'll watch more.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:51 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
Now all that is left is for the guys at funi to license the series for the US cause if they treat this series like what they did to Hell Girl , I'm gonna be pissed.

I'm not aware that Funi did anything wrong with Hell Girl. They licensed the complete series, dubbed it in its entirety, and chose some beautiful artwork for the six covers. That sounds just fine to me. What did I miss?

I think he was referring to Funi not picking up the second and third seasons of Hell Girl, after the first season disappointed in sales. So in that case, we ended up with a longer wait and then received them sub-only. So Funi didn't actually acquire or dub the entire series.

Though I don't see how someone can get mad over Funimation making a business decision based on the data they had. If they could have acquired the later seasons, dubbed them and made a profit, they likely would have. Kiddy Grade was one of their first non-DBZ successes and it would make sense to pick it up.

As to whether or not Funi will pick it up, unless it's ridiculously over priced or there are other issues, it should be grabbed sooner or later. I could see them waiting until CR's streaming window is over though.

As for Kiddy Girl, while I liked Kiddy Grade, it was far from a quality title, particularly at the end where the plot fell apart. But it was a fun show and I did enjoy it. But if Girl and really was much worse as many have suggested, then I will probably pass for now.
TJR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:24 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

As for Kiddy Girl, while I liked Kiddy Grade, it was far from a quality title, particularly at the end where the plot fell apart. But it was a fun show and I did enjoy it. But if Girl and really was much worse as many have suggested, then I will probably pass for now.

They're vastly different series. Kiddy Grade was a fairly conventional sci-fi action show (with a bit of a psychological angle) for its time.

However, Girl-AND shook things up to keep up with today's trends. Characters were (unsuccessfully) refocussed to exude moe and the episode plots became extremely silly. The writer also tried to throw in otaku-centric parody at random so as to appeal to fans of gag anime.

The problem is that most of it was forced and poorly done. With Kiddy Grade, they at least had a clear vision of the type of show they wanted. However, Girl-AND suffered from confused direction and a half-hearted attempt at becoming popular with too many people.

Note: From the eight or so episodes I followed, I didn't think Girl-AND was all bad. A couple eps were decent time wasters, and a couple more were mediocre/passable but not altogether cringeworthy. And then a few were horrendous. I don't have the time to waste on the show, but you could certainly do worse. I think the Kiddy Grade connection just makes people more hostile toward it.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Don't forget that Kiddy Grade actually had entertaining main characters and side characters, whereas in Kiddy Girl, Ascoeur will just get on your nerves and the quiet girl will just remain quiet, though still not be as awesome as Lumiere.

Really made me wish they had actually gone ahead with what they showed in the "Kiddy Grade 2" trailer years ago. Then at least we would have gotten more screentime with good characters, instead of a girl who will take off her panties at any invitation to do so.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
instead of a girl who will take off her panties at any invitation to do so.

..and Lucky Star is a show all about food.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:10 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
I'm guessing you have no interest in hearing that I found Mushi-Uta enjoyable enough to finish the series in a day, but perhaps someone else here will.

Well, I just finished doing the same thing. I must say that the first impression it gives (antihero) was somewhat misleading. But it was worth it, nothing beyond a 7/10 which is probably what it'll get from me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3