• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Cat Returns DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:33 pm Reply with quote
^^ Great review as always, Carlos. I'm actually not that crazy about this movie.. it's on the lower end of the Ghibli spectrum in my book, but it still is fun. I was sort of annoyed how at the end they sort of tried to cram a moral into the story that didn't really fit and seemed out of place in this more whimsical movie. The cats being thrown off the tower is the funniest part of the movie, and I agree that the Baron is super cool.. I loved Whisper of the Heart.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I found the character designs in this movie a lot more eye-candy than the usual Ghibli designs. I guess that's one of the reasons I enjoyed the film.
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Definitely fun art. The whole movie was very much like a children's storybook to me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Necros Antiquor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Does Disney do "dubtitles" with all of their Ghibli DVDs? I thought Spirited Away's subs were authentic, though I could be mistaken, since I saw it a while ago.
Kimura Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Necros Antiquor wrote:
Does Disney do "dubtitles" with all of their Ghibli DVDs? I thought Spirited Away's subs were authentic, though I could be mistaken, since I saw it a while ago.

Hmm not sure. Porco Rosso seems ok to me. It's seems that Disney made the same mistake as Miramax's Princess Mononoke by using dubtitles for japanese audio, so i have to watch Princess Mononoke on HK bootleg.
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:00 am Reply with quote
Princess Mononoke wasn't dubtitled.
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:29 am Reply with quote
Kimura Sensei wrote:
It's seems that Disney made the same mistake as Miramax's Princess Mononoke by using dubtitles for japanese audio, so i have to watch Princess Mononoke on HK bootleg.

Wait, are you suggesting that Disney's "dubtitles" are somehow worse than the horrific butchered subtitles on a Hong Kong boot?. I've seen the subs on an HK Mononoke, scary. Mad
ced1106

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I should mention that Viz has published the original one-volume manga, "Baron: The Cat Returns". I prefer the anime over the manga (if only because of the music and visuals), but picked up the manga at one of Border's book sales.

Cedric.
aka. Washu! ^O^
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Have you ever thought that the English dialogue and subtitles are literal translations?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1