• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kuroko's Basketball Threat Leaves Part of Comiket Vacant

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:59 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
This is something that just occurred to me, but how long has it been since the last "threat" was received? Ever since stuff started getting cancelled due to that lunatic I don't recall there being so many threats, if any. Rereading the articles, most of the threats were sent through october and there doesn't seem to be anymore since then so really, what's the deal?

Upping the security and cancelling the Kuroko circles doesn't double the expenses? They could've still let the Kuroko circles participate and use that money for security instead of losing the KnB circles' money and then having to pay even more for extra security. There's absolutely no logic to what they're doing

There's something to be said for being as safe as possible. Having the Kuroko circles not participate, and beefing up security both reduces the chances of an attack, and increases the chances of catching them in case they try to attack anyways. Of the options they've got it's not the most popular, or financially cheapest, but it's the safest.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:58 pm Reply with quote
GrayArchon wrote:
CrowLia wrote:
This is something that just occurred to me, but how long has it been since the last "threat" was received? Ever since stuff started getting cancelled due to that lunatic I don't recall there being so many threats, if any. Rereading the articles, most of the threats were sent through october and there doesn't seem to be anymore since then so really, what's the deal?

Upping the security and cancelling the Kuroko circles doesn't double the expenses? They could've still let the Kuroko circles participate and use that money for security instead of losing the KnB circles' money and then having to pay even more for extra security. There's absolutely no logic to what they're doing

There's something to be said for being as safe as possible. Having the Kuroko circles not participate, and beefing up security both reduces the chances of an attack, and increases the chances of catching them in case they try to attack anyways. Of the options they've got it's not the most popular, or financially cheapest, but it's the safest.

And at the same time, sending a message to every wacko out there:
"if there's something you hate, send a threat against it and you have a big chance of getting it cancelled"

Yeah, definitely the best decision.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:35 am Reply with quote
Nah, not really. You can't push too much. They might ban one series but if suddenly 20 people want 20 series banned, they won't ban them. That's why copycat trolls don't work. It's only special when it's one person doing it. One person can get away with it but as a bunch of other people do it it doesn't work anymore
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
Here are the biggest doujin circles at this Comiket, and the 2nd number shows if its more or less than last Comiket.

2442 (-284) - Touhou
1014 (-112) - Tiger & Bunny
*900 (new) - Kuroko no Basuke [KuroBas got barred from Comiket due to the threat letters]
*744 (+254) - iDOLM@STER
*688 (-160) - Hetalia
*622 (-96) - Sengoku Basara
*514 (+50) - Vocaloid
*426 (-72) - Tennis no Ouji-sama
*424 (+132) - Magi
*414 (+12) - Precure
*400 (+6) - Fate/
*346 (-82) - Uta no Prince-sama
*324 (+66) - Nintama Rantarou
*318 (-106) - Gintama
*272 (-8) - Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha
*264 (-20) - Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
*262 (-118) - Ribbon
*250 (-108) - Inazuma Eleven
*232 (-136) - Ao no Exorcist
*230 (-44) - Tales of
*208 (-54) - One Piece

Idolmaster is getting even bigger, with more of a boost than any other franchise. And obviously Kuroko woulda been huge, but yeah.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:35 am Reply with quote
Nintama Rantarou? Really? That one confuses me on who's eating that up. There's far better drawn shotas like Inazuma Eleven for the fujoshi to flock to.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:12 am Reply with quote
Nanoha will live forever at Comiket.
kazziyan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:52 am Reply with quote
And so will Touhou. <3
ScrambleBuster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:56 am Reply with quote
I personally went there on the second day, just to see that and it was almost a surreal sight.
While the article is right, I saw that there were a few brave souls (only about 2-3 groups though) that actually sat in the Kuroko section to try and sell their stuff. I say, kudos to those circles.

And to some one that said that this space could be used for other circles:
The problem with that is, it depends on the genre and each three days has different genres listed in their designated area for the circles and individuals to set up and sell in.
Second day was mostly JUMP doujins in that area (East-side), and that empty space shown was set up specifically for Kuroko only. Not to mention, the threats were likely sent out when everything was finalized for the event so there wasn't any time to 'change things,' and a refund was the only option (to them).
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:08 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Here are the biggest doujin circles at this Comiket, and the 2nd number shows if its more or less than last Comiket.

2442 (-284) - Touhou
1014 (-112) - Tiger & Bunny
*900 (new) - Kuroko no Basuke [KuroBas got barred from Comiket due to the threat letters]
*744 (+254) - iDOLM@STER
*688 (-160) - Hetalia
*622 (-96) - Sengoku Basara
*514 (+50) - Vocaloid
*426 (-72) - Tennis no Ouji-sama
*424 (+132) - Magi
*414 (+12) - Precure
*400 (+6) - Fate/
*346 (-82) - Uta no Prince-sama
*324 (+66) - Nintama Rantarou
*318 (-106) - Gintama
*272 (-8) - Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha
*264 (-20) - Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
*262 (-118) - Ribbon
*250 (-108) - Inazuma Eleven
*232 (-136) - Ao no Exorcist
*230 (-44) - Tales of
*208 (-54) - One Piece

Idolmaster is getting even bigger, with more of a boost than any other franchise. And obviously Kuroko woulda been huge, but yeah.

>Madoka's lower than Nanoha

What the hell is this madness

(but seriously, that's a little surprising, usually the newer series get the most doujins)
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:38 am Reply with quote
I don't believe an eight-circle difference counts as statistically significant, especially not with a lottery element.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:28 am Reply with quote
Thanks for SereneChaos for posting the link to the interview with the culprit. I suggest you guys all to read this, it shed a lot of light on the motives of the crime and it gave a new perspective of the people who are involved.

One thing that I didn't know until I read the interview with the culprit was that Fujimaki probably had ways of contacting the culprit, and all that the culprit wanted from him was just a simple apology from Fujimaki. From this, considering all that has NOT happened so far, Fujimaki ignored the culprit which made the crime escalate more, resulting in cancellation of events and so on.

Here is the part of the post that I made previously about this incident that pretty much sums up what I am trying to say here:

"If all of this is actually true, then I get the feeling that Fujimaki is the one who is stubborn here. Doesn’t he realize that confronting [the culprit] is probably the fastest way to resolve the problem and he is the key to doing it? Yet, for almost 2 full months, Fujimaki has ignored this man, didn’t even bother trying to search him up and just let the terrorism escalate, even though he is perfectly in the position to [cooperate with the police to put an end to this situation].

Of course I am not saying that the culprit here is innocent, this whole incident started with him, but Fujimaki’s gotta realize the consequence of the culprit’s actions, and if he wants the problem to be solved then he better cooperate with the police and confront this man, real quick."
truanifan678

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:08 am Reply with quote
I read it too and I got the sense that under the guise of "simply wanting an apology" that criminal also wants to kill Fujimaki-sensei and is projecting the cause for their misfortune onto Fujimaki-sensei. Granted I'm not referring to the cruddy childhood, but the "loss" of these friends that the culprit seems to have this unnatural attachment to and other recent things.

There's also the possibility that Fujimaki-sensei didn't know who it was at first, things escalated, and even if he did realize who it was after the fact would you meet up with somebody who "simply wants an apology" after they threaten to kill who knows how many innocent people?

Since they haven't caught the person and supposedly Fujumaki-sensei "knows" how to contact the person or "knows" how to contact them there's the possibility he doesn't know really that information. Or there's even the chance that he's not telling for whatever reason.

What I'm trying to get across is that nobody really knows. Especially me. Everything is just guessing.

To be perfectly honest I think it might be better to not speculate things on such cases since speculation by those not involved or who are not professionals can lead to inaccurate facts that get mixed up and somehow get distorted causing even more confusion. At this point who knows how much of the "facts" you read on this are true and how much has been affected by Internet speculation. Haven't other major events been distorted by inaccurate Internet guessing and speculation?

Think about it, how do you even know how true that translation is? How accurate it is? What if something important got lost in translation or doesn't translate as well?

Just putting it out there. I offer my sympathy to those affected, but out of respect I will further refrain from guessing motives and who's really responsible. There just isn't a really good way to know for sure.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote
truanifan678 wrote:

To be perfectly honest I think it might be better to not speculate things on such cases since speculation by those not involved or who are not professionals can lead to inaccurate facts that get mixed up and somehow get distorted causing even more confusion. At this point who knows how much of the "facts" you read on this are true and how much has been affected by Internet speculation. Haven't other major events been distorted by inaccurate Internet guessing and speculation?

Think about it, how do you even know how true that translation is? How accurate it is? What if something important got lost in translation or doesn't translate as well?

Just putting it out there. I offer my sympathy to those affected, but out of respect I will further refrain from guessing motives and who's really responsible. There just isn't a really good way to know for sure.

It doesn't change the fact that Fujimaki is not budging. Several weeks ago, Fujimaki said that he will continue writing KnB "No matter what" (Kuroko's Basketball Creator: Will Continue Manga 'No Matter What'). Did it ever cross his mind that another way to deal with the problem was to let the culprit know that he is sorry for whatever that made him hated? Like, he doesn't even have to contact the culprit personally, all he gotta do is just put out some public statement like in twitter or facebook or whatever, that he is sorry. Doing this will at least quell the culprit's anger by a bit, and possibly even make him stop doing crime and turn himself in.

But instead, Fujimaki decided to be a douche and not yield and fuel the culprit's anger even more. In my opinion, this whole situation is pretty childish, both the author and the culprit. If Fujimaki hasn't done what I just mentioned, then he should probably do that sometime soon to at least get a chance to prevent this whole stupid crime. Hundreds of Dojin circles are counting on him.
ScrambleBuster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
jojothepunisher wrote:
truanifan678 wrote:

It doesn't change the fact that Fujimaki is not budging. Several weeks ago, Fujimaki said that he will continue writing KnB "No matter what" (Kuroko's Basketball Creator: Will Continue Manga 'No Matter What'). Did it ever cross his mind that another way to deal with the problem was to let the culprit know that he is sorry for whatever that made him hated? Like, he doesn't even have to contact the culprit personally, all he gotta do is just put out some public statement like in twitter or facebook or whatever, that he is sorry. Doing this will at least quell the culprit's anger by a bit, and possibly even make him stop doing crime and turn himself in.

But instead, Fujimaki decided to be a douche and not yield and fuel the culprit's anger even more. In my opinion, this whole situation is pretty childish, both the author and the culprit. If Fujimaki hasn't done what I just mentioned, then he should probably do that sometime soon to at least get a chance to prevent this whole stupid crime. Hundreds of Dojin circles are counting on him.

I'm assuming that whatever happened between him and that guy might have been pretty bad, to the point that Fujimaki refuses to issue an apology (and probably thinks he didn't do anything wrong). Or, you know, like all JUMP authors that have to work on a tight deadline every week, probably places this person's threat and doujinshis as least concern on his list.
And besides, even though the Kuroko doujin circles couldn't sell at this years Comiket, there is the option of selling their works through mail-order internet and local doujinshi shops at least.
truanifan678

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:12 am Reply with quote
So, he should just apologize and not be sincere about it just for the sake of giving in? I've heard a lot of people advocate "don't give into terrorists" and what not. How does that apply to this? (That's a rhetorical question without really wanting a response.)

Frankly I find such a decisive opinion from somebody not there, not involved, not directly affected to be rather insulting to the whole situation and those who are involved, affected, and are there. To call somebody names based on conjecture is rather childish yourself, don't you think? (Another rhetorical question.)

Anyway, those are my final words on something unrelated to sympathy and hopes that nobody gets seriously hurt and that this can be resolved quickly so that people can just enjoy entertainment for entertainment's purposes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3