• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fullmetal Alchemist Reruns Start in Japan

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:02 am Reply with quote
Speculation as to why:

Option 1) It's so popular that TBS thought they'd get better ratings with it than other new shows. (While FMA is popular, other more popular shows have not received re-runs).

Option 2) TBS is doing this to help maintain popularity in the franchise up until this summer's release of the FMA movie.

-t
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:35 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Speculation as to why:

Option 1) It's so popular that TBS thought they'd get better ratings with it than other new shows. (While FMA is popular, other more popular shows have not received re-runs).

Option 2) TBS is doing this to help maintain popularity in the franchise up until this summer's release of the FMA movie.

-t
Or (option 3) All the above. Wink
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:13 am Reply with quote
Option 4: It's just That. Damned. Good? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Armagguedes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:17 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Speculation as to why:

-t

I agree with both options but there's something in the news itself that bugs me: "(...) With the significant quantity of anime available for broadcast in Japan, (...)".

I thought that Japan was having a problem with current anime production, due to its lack of quality and originality (though this doesn't mean a fancy series/OVA/movie can't pop up now and then).

What i read (and wrote about in an essay for my JP lessons*) was that due to the surge in quantity of anime in the last 30 years, 'quality' in anime is considered to be worn out and production has somewhat stagnated. However, western markets aren't affected because japanimation is a fairyly recent thing here, and so there's a lot to import.

* My essay is available here (it's in portuguese): http://mega.ist.utl.pt/~bpsg/crono.anime.pt.pdf,
but have been thinking of re-writting it in english.
wao

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:29 am Reply with quote
I'd go for 1) and 2)... FMA was a huge success, it'd definitely get reruns. Very few shows seem to get reruns, and what's more not so far away from the first run...

It makes a lot of sense to rerun it just before the movie. Refreshes fans, and creates new ones. I think NHK did the same thing with Tsubasa, just before it aired they ran a rerun of CCS, it seems.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:36 am Reply with quote
Armagguedes wrote:

I agree with both options but there's something in the news itself that bugs me: "(...) With the significant quantity of anime available for broadcast in Japan, (...)".

I thought that Japan was having a problem with current anime production, due to its lack of quality and originality (though this doesn't mean a fancy series/OVA/movie can't pop up now and then).

That's absolutely correct. Many people feel that there is too much anime being made.

Which is in fact part of the reason we stated, "with the significant quantity."

Your facts are right, but I don't see how they contradict our statement...

-t
BrianRuh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:24 am Reply with quote
Tiny nitpick in the original news article: the word "broadcaster's" should not have an apostrophe in it as it is simply plural and not posessive.

Just doing what I can to represent the grammar police...
Armagguedes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:46 am Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
(..)

Which is in fact part of the reason we stated, "with the significant quantity."

Your facts are right, but I don't see how they contradict our statement...

-t

I'm not trying to contradict anyone, i'm just saying that maybe they're getting into re-runs of some really good shows because they have nothing else (decent) to air. In this particular case, they re-aired FMA because there's a movie coming out sometime soon (i hope).
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:57 am Reply with quote
BrianRuh wrote:
Just doing what I can to represent the grammar police...

Yes, we really do need the Grammar police here. (no sarcasm)

Thanks for pointing it out.

-t
herbkir

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:10 pm Reply with quote
It may also be that Japanese TV is discovering how a rerun of a really top-notch popular show can produce strong ratings at low cost. That's something USA broadcasters have known for a long time. Maybe the dwindling supply of high-quality new anime has led the Japanese TV execs to see how profitable an FMA replay would be. (^_*)
Stueypark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:27 pm Reply with quote
There may have also been some serious scheduling screw-ups too, for instance a new show may have been slated there but fell through.
Adfectio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Hey, just out of curiosity, anybody know how many shows there are in this series? I haven't yet seen a number.
cubs2084

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Geeze, it must be incredibly popular if they're re-runing the whole series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Adfectio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Never mind, i found the answer on my own. 51 is a huge amount of episodes in a series. how many DVDs will that cover? thats my new question.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Adfectio wrote:
Never mind, i found the answer on my own. 51 is a huge amount of episodes in a series. how many DVDs will that cover? thats my new question.

13 DVD for the u.s. release.

Actually I always wonder why japan never rerun anime over there. I mean if you miss a show, that's it, you have to either buy the dvd because you can't watch it again. They produce so many new anime every season. Unlike over here in which we get rerun usually during the summer most tv shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2