• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sunday Spotlight - Speedy Kahn Job

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryusui

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:36 pm Reply with quote
The phrase that comes to mind looking at "all their anime will eventually be released uncut on DVD" is "yeah, as if".
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I doubt stuff like Pokémon will ever get a subtitled release as I doubt there's enough of a market for purist-grade Pokémon to be profitable (not that Nintendo would let them do it even if there was).

And there's zero chance that we'll ever see subtitled, uncut Fighting Foodons.

The way he said the sentence was rather ambiguous; since "license" is only in present tense, it could refer only to their new licenses.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:10 am Reply with quote
Laruto wrote:
Jifty wrote:
Quote:
I think they have to understand that because the price of these acquisitions is so high, that if they want this programming to come to the United States then they're going to have to accept the fact that it's going to be available in two styles. Because the only money that can be made that helps pay for the acquisition is obviously whether or not we're able to outfit it for the masses. And fitting it for the masses requires editing. And if we didn't do that, it'd be very difficult for us to afford to bring it in, just to release it to the anime fan who would be looking for the uncut version. I think we're trying to satisfy both sides of that by having it both ways so that we'll be able to afford them.

This boggles my mind here. If what he says were true, then ADV, Bandai, Geneon, etc. should all be in the crapper right now.

I call bull**** on him.

First off ADV etc don't have apealing female titles like Mew Mew power that can be marketed towards both fans. You see Madlax, yes a female show but it doesn't have mass appeal like Mew Mew and you can't gain that much from it like you would mew Mew. Thats why they Liecense certain shows.

No, ADV has titles like Saiyuki, DNAngel, Chrono Crusade, GetBackers, E's & others with tons of bishonen in them to appeal to females without worrying about offending moms because they aren't straddling the 8-12 market. They're appealing to an older female audience.

And we're still waiting for 4Kids/Funimation to resume uncut releases of Shaman King since "technical difficulties" postponed the release of Volume 3.
On the other hand, ADV usually bumps up the schedule toward the end--to more like every 4-6 weeks on the last dvds of a show.
Jeikobu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:51 am Reply with quote
I would jump for joy at uncut, subbed Pokemon DVDs, but I'm not holding my breath. All I can say is 4Kids better remain true to their word.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Laruto

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Yeah, I doubt stuff like Pokémon will ever get a subtitled release as I doubt there's enough of a market for purist-grade Pokémon to be profitable (not that Nintendo would let them do it even if there was).

And there's zero chance that we'll ever see subtitled, uncut Fighting Foodons.

The way he said the sentence was rather ambiguous; since "license" is only in present tense, it could refer only to their new licenses.

Thats what I was thinking too, I don't believe he meant ever title I just believe he means titles that are actually gonna sell like Shaman King, Yugioh, One Piece and future ones.
Laruto

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:28 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Laruto wrote:
Jifty wrote:
Quote:
I think they have to understand that because the price of these acquisitions is so high, that if they want this programming to come to the United States then they're going to have to accept the fact that it's going to be available in two styles. Because the only money that can be made that helps pay for the acquisition is obviously whether or not we're able to outfit it for the masses. And fitting it for the masses requires editing. And if we didn't do that, it'd be very difficult for us to afford to bring it in, just to release it to the anime fan who would be looking for the uncut version. I think we're trying to satisfy both sides of that by having it both ways so that we'll be able to afford them.

This boggles my mind here. If what he says were true, then ADV, Bandai, Geneon, etc. should all be in the crapper right now.

I call bull**** on him.

First off ADV etc don't have apealing female titles like Mew Mew power that can be marketed towards both fans. You see Madlax, yes a female show but it doesn't have mass appeal like Mew Mew and you can't gain that much from it like you would mew Mew. Thats why they Liecense certain shows.

No, ADV has titles like Saiyuki, DNAngel, Chrono Crusade, GetBackers, E's & others with tons of bishonen in them to appeal to females without worrying about offending moms because they aren't straddling the 8-12 market. They're appealing to an older female audience.

And we're still waiting for 4Kids/Funimation to resume uncut releases of Shaman King since "technical difficulties" postponed the release of Volume 3.
On the other hand, ADV usually bumps up the schedule toward the end--to more like every 4-6 weeks on the last dvds of a show.

You see you just put your foot in your mouth, 4Kids goes after the true bigger money Kids and is trying to get into the mid Money Teens+ but ADV etc are Mid Money. Also Those ADV Titles that you mentioned from ADV can not be Marketed towards children and still down the road appeal to Teen+. Think about ADV has Chrono Crusade(Not for kids so it can only sell towards older people). While 4Kids has Mew Mew( For kids, which can sell towards kids and has great appeal to older Teen+ which can be sold both ways)!
Laruto

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Jeikobu wrote:
I would jump for joy at uncut, subbed Pokemon DVDs, but I'm not holding my breath. All I can say is 4Kids better remain true to their word.

I don't think he means the past ones read the statement clearly!

"We expect every series (we license) to be released in its original form".

"WE LICENSE" NOT "WE HAVE LICENSED" to be released in its original form.
Erufu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:59 am Reply with quote
cubs2084 wrote:
What they should do is allow Cartoon Network to air the uncut versions of their shows, while 4Kids airs the heavily-edited ones over on Fox.

Well, I'm wondering if they even have dub tracks for the originally cut parts. They might plan on releasing the uncuts with only subs so they don't have to go back and record new tracks, so this might put a damper on airing uncuts on Cartoon Network. Anway, I'm pretty sure none of their stuff airs on Adult Swim so I doubt they would air it uncut on Toonami since they see it unsuited to air uncut of Fox.

minakichan wrote:
OK, now 1/2 of the fans are gonna be screaming "OMG I LYK LOVE 4KIDS NOW!!!" and the other half is going to cry out about their obsession with marketing...

I dunno, I just thought this was funny "We are trying to increase our business mix and it's certain that girls make up 50% of the audience in the United States, and that they buy products as well." ...how insightful.

Umm... exscuse me, but we don't buy products. How dare he assumes that we spend money on that smut! Shocked

And that's not progressive in 2005 to say women make up half the market in anime and related products. People started that last year, or even sooner. I can't remember when I started hearing about it, but it's been around for a while (as for as my time line goes... a year ago is awhile for me).

Laruto wrote:
Jifty wrote:
Quote:

I call bull**** on him.

Are you being serious? Congrats for being totally sexest. First off, ADV does have titles that are classified as shoujo. These include:
Wedding Peach
D.N.Angel

And, I along with other female fans I know, like:
Angelic Layer
Azumanga Daioh
Battle Angel
Blue Seed
Bubble Gum Crisis
Chrono Crusade
Full Metal Panic
Gantz

Alright, I hit G and got tired of looking at all of ADV licensed anime, but my point is they do have anime series that are classified as "shoujo" and those are only the ones that list that. Some, I'm sure, can fall under shoujo, too. And, even if an anime isn't classified as being shoujo doesn't mean a girl can't like them. I've listed some anime that I, myself, and other female fans I know love and enjoy (especially Chrono Crusade and this series includes my 15 year old sister) and this basis includes a wide age range from 12 to 25, so you can't say "little girls" don't like them. I mean, ADV has Hello Kitty and Kaleido Star, for heaven's sake! So how can you say they don't have titles that appeal to girls? And, just for the record, I don't know many girls that like Mew Mew Power, or whatever they are calling it these days.

Sometimes I wonder if kids realize some of the shows they are watching are anime. I think the only reason they realized Pokemon was was because all the Japanese cards you could buy on the market that they couldn't read but just had to have. I knew somebody that bought these for a "good investment". I really wonder how much they are worth now? IF anybody has any insight as to kids knowing or not knowing some of their fav cartoons hail from Japan, I would be really curious to hear if they do or do not and how they know. I don't know if Fox or anything advertises those shows as being anime because I don't watch them.

CCSYueh already beat me to the punch listing female titles for ADV. Good job!

Laruto wrote:
Jeikobu wrote:

There's no need to yell at people, you know. When he says this, it can be taken in several different ways. You can take it as he means all the anime they hold current licenses to; this includes stuff that isn't marketed right now or not showing on TV. Just because it's not being actively released or not aired doesn't mean their license has expired. You can also take it as anime they don't have a licenses to yet and when they actively license it it will be put into the category of possibly uncut. I doubt it's the last situation, so do you see how you can take it several ways and you are probably wrong about yelling at people for it? I'm sure if they have a series still with an active license and they think they can make a buck by releasing it uncut, they will, no matter how long it's been since it has been on TV or released cut onto DVD.

Just to add my 2 cents in, Al Kahn actually states real anime fans are the ones that want uncut while the not real anime fans, the little kids, will buy the "localized" versions. So all people that argue that these little kids are real anime fans aren't even treated as such by the people marketing to them.

Final thoughts;
*Uncut DVDs will still most likely be subbed
*4Kids can pick from their entire library to release ucut; it doesn't have to be from recent licenses (that doesn't make sense, people!)
*people that you have to have special anime to market to girls and people that think 4kids is very "now" by admitting girls are part of the market to are sexist and live in a dark closet and don't keep up on their news
Laruto

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:03 am Reply with quote
Erufu wrote:
cubs2084 wrote:
What they should do is allow Cartoon Network to air the uncut versions of their shows, while 4Kids airs the heavily-edited ones over on Fox.

Well, I'm wondering if they even have dub tracks for the originally cut parts. They might plan on releasing the uncuts with only subs so they don't have to go back and record new tracks, so this might put a damper on airing uncuts on Cartoon Network. Anway, I'm pretty sure none of their stuff airs on Adult Swim so I doubt they would air it uncut on Toonami since they see it unsuited to air uncut of Fox.

minakichan wrote:
OK, now 1/2 of the fans are gonna be screaming "OMG I LYK LOVE 4KIDS NOW!!!" and the other half is going to cry out about their obsession with marketing...

I dunno, I just thought this was funny "We are trying to increase our business mix and it's certain that girls make up 50% of the audience in the United States, and that they buy products as well." ...how insightful.

Umm... exscuse me, but we don't buy products. How dare he assumes that we spend money on that smut! Shocked

And that's not progressive in 2005 to say women make up half the market in anime and related products. People started that last year, or even sooner. I can't remember when I started hearing about it, but it's been around for a while (as for as my time line goes... a year ago is awhile for me).

Laruto wrote:
Jifty wrote:
Quote:

I call bull**** on him.

Are you being serious? Congrats for being totally sexest. First off, ADV does have titles that are classified as shoujo. These include:
Wedding Peach
D.N.Angel

And, I along with other female fans I know, like:
Angelic Layer
Azumanga Daioh
Battle Angel
Blue Seed
Bubble Gum Crisis
Chrono Crusade
Full Metal Panic
Gantz

Alright, I hit G and got tired of looking at all of ADV licensed anime, but my point is they do have anime series that are classified as "shoujo" and those are only the ones that list that. Some, I'm sure, can fall under shoujo, too. And, even if an anime isn't classified as being shoujo doesn't mean a girl can't like them. I've listed some anime that I, myself, and other female fans I know love and enjoy (especially Chrono Crusade and this series includes my 15 year old sister) and this basis includes a wide age range from 12 to 25, so you can't say "little girls" don't like them. I mean, ADV has Hello Kitty and Kaleido Star, for heaven's sake! So how can you say they don't have titles that appeal to girls? And, just for the record, I don't know many girls that like Mew Mew Power, or whatever they are calling it these days.

Sometimes I wonder if kids realize some of the shows they are watching are anime. I think the only reason they realized Pokemon was was because all the Japanese cards you could buy on the market that they couldn't read but just had to have. I knew somebody that bought these for a "good investment". I really wonder how much they are worth now? IF anybody has any insight as to kids knowing or not knowing some of their favorite cartoons hail from Japan, I would be really curious to hear if they do or do not and how they know. I don't know if Fox or anything advertises those shows as being anime because I don't watch them.

CCSYueh already beat me to the punch listing female titles for ADV. Good job!

Laruto wrote:
Jeikobu wrote:

There's no need to yell at people, you know. When he says this, it can be taken in several different ways. You can take it as he means all the anime they hold current licenses to; this includes stuff that isn't marketed right now or not showing on TV. Just because it's not being actively released or not aired doesn't mean their license has expired. You can also take it as anime they don't have a licenses to yet and when they actively license it it will be put into the category of possibly uncut. I doubt it's the last situation, so do you see how you can take it several ways and you are probably wrong about yelling at people for it? I'm sure if they have a series still with an active license and they think they can make a buck by releasing it uncut, they will, no matter how long it's been since it has been on TV or released cut onto DVD.

Just to add my 2 cents in, Al Kahn actually states real anime fans are the ones that want uncut while the not real anime fans, the little kids, will buy the "localized" versions. So all people that argue that these little kids are real anime fans aren't even treated as such by the people marketing to them.

Final thoughts;
*Uncut DVDs will still most likely be subbed
*4Kids can pick from their entire library to release ucut; it doesn't have to be from recent licenses (that doesn't make sense, people!)
*people that you have to have special anime to market to girls and people that think 4kids is very "now" by admitting girls are part of the market to are sexist and live in a dark closet and don't keep up on their news

you see, ADV shojo titles DN Angel and Wedding peach lets break them down.

DN Angel: yes its a shojo, However if air on a network for kids it would look like a series aimed at boys because the main characters are boys and there are no magical girls in it as the main character! it'll be too confusing for kids look at. And DN Angel isn't that appealing.

Wedding peach: If aired this show will be cancelled in a min. the show is flat and doesn't come close to the greatness that was sailor moon. Besides the animation is tooooooooooooo old and the story is garbage wedding dress battles and ring. This show isn't something that can appeal to both young and older kinds in the mass market!

Now What I'm trying to say is 4kids has shows that can be mass marketed and that appeal to everyone not just one audience teen+ like ADV etc.

And I wasn't shouting Erufu, If I came of that way I'm so sorry Crying or Very sad
Iniksbane

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:48 am Reply with quote
Ok no offense here, but aren't teenagers the largest consumer block in this country? I mean isn't that why most primetime television is aimed at the 18-34 year old age bracket. So really I think the problem with your argument is that you're assuming that the child block brings in the most money.

That said this entire discussion is kind of like comparing apples to oranges. Companies like ADV, Bandai and Geneon market their anime to the older teen and college student crowd (at least for the most part). While 4kids is marketed towards well, kids. So saying one is more succesful than another is tricky without looking at net assets, and income. Because really one isn't taking market share away from the other.

*shrugs* Well that's just my two cents
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:11 pm Reply with quote
That's actually a continually perpetuated myth. According to my Mass Comm. teacher (who has worked in television) says that Senior citizens are the biggest buyers.

However, that doesn't stop networks and advertisers from trying to target young white morons.

(I'm 20 and white, btw.)
Erufu

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:34 pm Reply with quote
Iniksbane wrote:
Ok no offense here, but aren't teenagers the largest consumer block in this country? I mean isn't that why most primetime television is aimed at the 18-34 year old age bracket. So really I think the problem with your argument is that you're assuming that the child block brings in the most money.

That said this entire discussion is kind of like comparing apples to oranges. Companies like ADV, Bandai and Geneon market their anime to the older teen and college student crowd (at least for the most part). While 4kids is marketed towards well, kids. So saying one is more succesful than another is tricky without looking at net assets, and income. Because really one isn't taking market share away from the other.

*shrugs* Well that's just my two cents

Hmm... I would say that marketing an anime title to a child would bring in more money than marketing to a college student. A child has their parents to buy for them, and there's alot of merchandise that can be marketed to a child, where as college students might have their parents still supporting them, but their parents are paying outrageous tuitions bills. *die colleges, die*

And apology accepted. Aren't you cute...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2