• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyo's Youth Ordinance Bill Approved by Committee

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:35 am Reply with quote
Finally, the wait for a headline here was driving me crazy!

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Even if it did pass, I doubt anything would change.

How actively the amendments would/will be enforced is anybody's guess, I think. Hopefully it would/will tend more toward a formality than a proactive censorship campaign.

taster of pork wrote:
Looks the Hentai industry is about to go out of business Anime cry Evil or Very Mad

No, straight-up hentai isn't in any serious danger. The doujinshi market, on the other hand...
Kaibaman21

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:38 am Reply with quote
Somebody posted this link earlier High School Uniforms is banned in games video games and manga
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/12/13/mangaka-my-publisher-has-banned-school-uniforms/
VORTIA
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:40 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
VORTIA wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
Wait a second...
So they would have to regulate hand drawn images, but it's ok for real people do be depicted doing whatever falls into this category? If that is the case, then that makes no sense to me.

Yep. In Tokyo, it'll be perfectly fine to film a movie about a girl having a sexual relationship with your little brother, but if it's an anime, suddenly it'd be under tight restriction. Good job Tokyo. Way to look stupid. Mad

The film industry already has these kinds of restrictions in place. The reason Lolicon is allowed to exist is because there's no such regulations on drawn/animated content. That's about to change.

You're missing my point. Yes, actual sexual depictions are regulated. They're regulated for anime and manga as well (plenty of manga have been designated harmful material in the past). What this says is

""unjustifiably glorify or exaggerate" certain sexual or pseudo sexual acts. "

So as I gave in my example, I can write a film about a girl being in love with her little brother, provided there's no sex appearing on screen. I cannot write a manga about it in any way, because the very mention of it could be considered to "unjustifiably glorify" the idea.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Olivine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:42 am Reply with quote

Sora realizes it's time to move to a new city.
taster of pork

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:47 am Reply with quote
Olivine wrote:

That scares me Crying or Very sad I'm currently watching Yosuga No Sora and I love it. We may not get to see an anime like it again.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:48 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
If that is the case, then that makes no sense to me.

When has Government ever made sense?
ConanSan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:49 am Reply with quote
Welp, the best thing to do in this dire stright is to hope it takes out as many crappy things as possible whilst the damage to decent stuff is mitigated.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:49 am Reply with quote
Olivine wrote:

Shintaro Ishihara: breaking the hearts of little sisters across Japan since 2010! Laughing
eragon2890

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:52 am Reply with quote
I still don't really see the problem here. I mean, as I posted in the thread yesterday, and as Dan kanemitsu's posted as well, fan service doesn't fall under regulation (too mild) and everything that is already 18+ (i.e. all forms of hardcore hentai) is not affected either.

The mangaka who has problems with her publisher... well that's unfortunate, but I don't see how the publisher could get any troubles if they keep selling that work. I don't know it offcourse, maybe they would have to put an 18+ logo on it, but nothing else. So I think the new bill is just an excuse used by the publisher, or they haven't analyzed the bill yet, but in any case, I think this will be an isolated accident.

Normal high school comedies like I said won't be affected. Berserk (someone mentioned it) is already 18+ under the current regulations as far as I know. I think that in 1 year time everyone will have forgotten this and (almost) nothing will have changed.

Oh and somebody said something about Doujin: well that is actually the sector that will have the least problems from this, as they self-publish, and thus can decide for themselves simply to throw an 18+ logo on their work -- which is all they have to do, since any work marketed as adults-only is excempt from this new regulation (already regulated by current law.)

Just wait a few months and you'll see the anime world will still exist.

Also, let's not forget that even if this would lead to a reduction in moe shows, (I like moe), we might get more serious/dark/violent shows in return which would also be fun Razz But seriously, I expect little change.
eragon2890

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
That scares me Crying or Very sad I'm currently watching Yosuga No Sora and I love it. We may not get to see an anime like it again.

I just checked up that series on wikipedia, apparently at least the viseual novel is already rated 18+ so it won't be affected.
Olivine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:56 am Reply with quote
Kaibaman21 wrote:
Somebody posted this link earlier High School Uniforms is banned in games video games and manga
http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/12/13/mangaka-my-publisher-has-banned-school-uniforms/

If that's true, then the entire industry is definitely moving to a new city. The industry will just plain die if it can't confidently use the school setting. It HAS to move if the amendment is approved.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:59 am Reply with quote
eragon2890 wrote:
I still don't really see the problem here. I mean, as I posted in the thread yesterday, and as Dan kanemitsu's posted as well, fan service doesn't fall under regulation (too mild) and everything that is already 18+ (i.e. all forms of hardcore hentai) is not affected either.

The mangaka who has problems with her publisher... well that's unfortunate, but I don't see how the publisher could get any troubles if they keep selling that work. I don't know it offcourse, maybe they would have to put an 18+ logo on it, but nothing else. So I think the new bill is just an excuse used by the publisher, or they haven't analyzed the bill yet, but in any case, I think this will be an isolated accident.

Normal high school comedies like I said won't be affected. Berserk (someone mentioned it) is already 18+ under the current regulations as far as I know. I think that in 1 year time everyone will have forgotten this and (almost) nothing will have changed.

Oh and somebody said something about Doujin: well that is actually the sector that will have the least problems from this, as they self-publish, and thus can decide for themselves simply to throw an 18+ logo on their work -- which is all they have to do, since any work marketed as adults-only is excempt from this new regulation (already regulated by current law.)

Also, let's not forget that even if this would lead to a reduction in moe shows, (I like moe), we might get more serious/dark/violent shows in return which would also be fun Razz But seriously, I expect little change.

This is probably where a lot of the problem comes from.

Quote:
Another section of the revised bill would allow the government to directly regulate the above images if the depicted acts are also "considered to be excessively disrupting of social order"

Admittedly, a lot of content would either be considered mild enough not to matter or already be under the current regulations, but there is also the potential that companies might become overly concerned about government intervention and start self-censoring in order to avoid having to go back and make costly changes.

That's actually one of the reasons why the video game industry vehemently opposes the California bill that has gone before the Supreme Court. Unless there is a clear definition of what is not ok, then there is no way to know for sure and they'd have to err on the side of caution and not make the games that they wanted, so it becomes a matter of censorship.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:00 am Reply with quote
eragon2890 wrote:
I still don't really see the problem here. I mean, as I posted in the thread yesterday, and as Dan kanemitsu's posted as well, fan service doesn't fall under regulation (too mild)...

As Nemo_N said in the other thread, you are relying on your own definitions to make this assumption. The language of the bill is very vague, to the extent that basically anything published today could be construed as overglorifying one act or another, or too socially disruptive.

Whether or not enforcement is taken to this extreme is another matter. As I said, I really don't know if it will be.

Quote:
Normal high school comedies like I said won't be affected. Berserk (someone mentioned it) is already 18+ under the current regulations as far as I know.

Nope.

Quote:

To be more specific: I wasn't referring to original doujin, rather stuff that is based off of existing non-H anime/manga. If the non-H source ceases to exist, obviously the doujin can't happen.

Quote:

There is certainly the chance that the bill will amount to very little/no material action; I hope that turns out to be the case.

Quote:

Again, nope. The amendments have sufficient scope to regulate non-sexual content.

Last edited by Big Hed on Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:07 am Reply with quote
I just got back from two weeks in the Middle East (And you thought censorship was bad in your country) only to return to find this is still going on?! Sigh.

It all boils down to one thing: money. And age warfare. Well, two things I guess. You see, politicians to Japan stay in power by always voting to increase the pension, since the elderly are greatly over-represented in Japan's election system. And there is a strong belief among the elderly that the younger generation is not doing enough to support the pension system (despite the horrible economical decisions that they themselves made which lead to this). And the otaku, hikkimori and NEETs, etc, are they easiest targets, since they lack both money and respect. And so a bill like this is both a moral crusade and a heavy-handed attempt to change the culture of Japan's youth, as if by simply making ecchi manga hard to buy it will cause young men to start earning more and having more children. Of course, it is not ecchi manga that turns boys into otaku, but rather the economical and social constraints of modern Japanese culture. But admitting this would be a de facto admission of their misguided policies in the first, which politicians are loath to do. So instead we get this.

That being said, the industry did no favors to itself. Even a simple pledge or a symbolical gesture to address the concerns that the first bill raised could have helped ward against this. Instead, they air Yosuga no Sora.

And per the Law of Unintended Consequences, I shall make some predictions. One, there will be a major upswing the production of manga on the internet to escape this censorship. Two, there will the growth of “exodus” towns, where people and business will move outside of Tokyo to physically escape the censorship. And three, the anime industry's slow collapse will be greatly increased in rate, and most studios will be bankrupt in 18 months. All this will result lower tax revenues for the government, which mostly like will cause another bill to passed that will do more harm than good, because governments are like that.

Or the bill might be defeated, in which we will see it again in six months. This isn't going away. Either the industry needs to take steps to self-regulate, or the government will do it for them.
eragon2890

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:12 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
eragon2890 wrote:
I still don't really see the problem here. I mean, as I posted in the thread yesterday, and as Dan kanemitsu's posted as well, fan service doesn't fall under regulation (too mild)...

As Nemo_N said in the other thread, you are relying on your own definitions to make this assumption. The language of the bill is very vague, to the extent that basically anything published today could be construed as overglorifying one act or another, or too socially disruptive.

Whether or not enforcement is taken to this extreme is another matter. As I said, I really don't know if it will be.

Quote:
Normal high school comedies like I said won't be affected. Berserk (someone mentioned it) is already 18+ under the current regulations as far as I know.

Nope.

Quote:

To be more specific: I wasn't referring to original doujin, rather stuff that is based off of existing non-H anime/manga. If the non-H source ceases to exist, obviously the doujin can't happen.

Quote:

There is certainly the chance that the bill will amount to very little/no material action; I hope that turns out to be the case.

Quote:

Again, nope. The amendments have sufficient scope to regulate non-sexual content.

Non sexual material, such as extreme violence, can ALREADY be regulated under the current law. In practice it just doesn't happen. (I thought berserk was an acception but apparently I was wrong.) My comment about it not affecting pantys, nude pictures in moe shows on one end and extreme hentai on the other doesn't come from me, but from Dan Kanemitsu. He says it will only make it more difficult to produce social commentary. I thrust him in that.

Now, something that everyone seems to be forgetting: it isn't the government that gets to decide wether or not something is harmfull in the end. Sure, they may say so, but if they make a ridiculous statement (i.e. constructing K-on!! as harmfull which, I repeat, is not even possible because of the vague but still actually quite limited definitions), the publisher could go to a judge. A judge would have to decide then, and judges everywere are always extremely carefull with banning something. (especially since a clausule has been added on request of the DPJ stating that freedom of expression should not be harmed and that this only concerns distribution to minors.)

Example: germany has a law banning all extremely violent media, but courts always balance that act with the freedom of expression in their constitution. Gears of War 2, Ninja Gaiden, Fallout 3, madworld (!) were not considered "Extremely violent".

So, a) under the current regulation, government already has the power "to construe anything as harmfull" .("too violent, too sexually arousing, or inciting of criminal acts is the *current* definition). There is little reason to assume they will suddenly start doing so, while they already could.

b) there exist a judge. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 16