• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Kara no Kyoukai - the Garden of sinners

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:56 am Reply with quote
Actually, if you pre-ordered from Amazon when it was first announced, it's only about $30 cheaper, and it is the Japanese release, with a translated booklet thrown in. The price is extremely high for the US. Yet why would they do otherwise? They could drop the price by $100 - $150 and that would do little to increase US sales, but it would invite cannibalizing Japanese sales. They're going to sell ten of thousands of copies in Japan, and probably not much more than 1-2% of that in the US. Assuming they're more interested in making money than placating US fans accustomed to much lower prices, why would they sell it for much cheaper?

Last edited by hissatsu01 on Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:56 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
now only if Aniplex would release Bakemonogatari soon.

With prices like that I sure as hell hope some company other than Aniplex licenses Bakemonogatari.

No need to worry about that.

bayoab (4 months ago at Otakon) wrote:
16:59:57 <bay> Q: Bakemonogatari in the US?
17:00:06 <bay> A; Actually, Aniplex US doesn't have the rights. Kodansha does.

Last edited by NJ_ on Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
minakichan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:57 am Reply with quote
AHAHAHHAHAA Aniplex USA thinks that Kara no Kyoukai can sell well in America at that price AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA HYSTERICAL.
Dan297na

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote
A sub only release for 400$? I hope this is a joke.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:08 am Reply with quote
needs a realistic and sane price
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:09 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Blood- wrote:
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
now only if Aniplex would release Bakemonogatari soon.

With prices like that I sure as hell hope some company other than Aniplex licenses Bakemonogatari.

No need to worry about that.

bayoab (4 months ago at Otakon) wrote:
16:59:57 <bay> Q: Bakemonogatari in the US?
17:00:06 <bay> A; Actually, Aniplex US doesn't have the rights. Kodansha does.

I would like to see Bakemonogatari released in the next year with an english dub..hopefully it will get licensed soon.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:14 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Actually, if you pre-ordered from Amazon when it was first announced, it's only about $30 cheaper, and it is the Japanese release, with a translated booklet thrown in. The price is extremely high for the US. Yet why would they do otherwise? They could drop the price by $100 - $150 and that would do little to increase US sales, but it would invite cannibalizing Japanese sales. They're going to sell ten of thousands of copies in Japan, and probably not much more than 1-2% of that in the US. Assuming they're more interested in making money than placating US fans accustomed to much lower prices, why would they sell it for much cheaper?

See, this is what I don't understand. I've heard it said that the reason Japanese releases are so expensive is that Japanese distribs discovered that lowering prices, apparently, had no real impact on sales because it was mostly hardcore otaku buying the titles and it is almost a point of pride among that group to pay through the nose. Then you read about how Japanese distribs fear reverse importation and the flooding of their market with cheap imports. Those viewpoints are mutually exclusive.
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:17 am Reply with quote
I have no problem with the pricing. After paying $125 for the Freedom BD box and with 200~ minutes of content, I think $400 is a steal for 3x as much content. I'll be picking this up.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:20 am Reply with quote
I'm not buying it at that price $300 dollars for a sub-only series is a huge no in my book, but if they put an $60~$80 dollar tag on it then I might reconsider.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:20 am Reply with quote
WHOA, WAIT, I ACTUALLY GOT MY CHRISTMAS WISH GRANTED?

Crap, I have to reread the article and absorb this...

Ohmygod. Includes the same Visual Chronicle book with English translation. Ohmygod. Cancelling preorder for the Japanese release post-haste.

Aniplex USA, you guys are my new heroes. Now I only have to pay ONE arm to have the last of my top 5 anime in an official release.

I can't think of a headline that would've made me feel better after all of this ruckus with the Youth Ordinance Bill today. Very Happy

Last edited by Big Hed on Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:23 am Reply with quote
Its awesome that this is finally getting a US release and so quickly too after the Japanese release.

But holy mother of god that price! I'd have to rob a bank in order to afford that.

And why the hell is this not being sold on Amazon while the Japanese version is available through Amazon JP? Can someone explain that to me?
Mune

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:29 am Reply with quote
Dan297na wrote:
A sub only release for 400$? I hope this is a joke.

Hey, a double-negative in the U.S. market!

I want to buy this, but because it is sub-only and costs so much, I'll wait and hope the price will decline and/or the title gets a dub. Aniplex, you did another R.O.D.... except without a dub.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:31 am Reply with quote
PREORDERED! YESSSSSS!

Wonder if they will discount that price a little bit.

Last edited by luffypirate on Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:32 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

See, this is what I don't understand. I've heard it said that the reason Japanese releases are so expensive is that Japanese distribs discovered that lowering prices, apparently, had no real impact on sales because it was mostly hardcore otaku buying the titles and it is almost a point of pride among that group to pay through the nose. Then you read about how Japanese distribs fear reverse importation and the flooding of their market with cheap imports. Those viewpoints are mutually exclusive.

They're mutually exclusive because you're completely misunderstanding. The demand for anime in Japan is pretty inelastic. Lowering prices doesn't increase sales much, because new otaku don't sprout like mushrooms just because the price is lower. But having the same release available for much cheaper can cut into existing sales. You're not creating new sales, you're cannibalizing the sales you already had.

And KnK is not the average title. It sold something like over 70,000 copies per DVD. They could sell it for half the price in the US, it would still be expensive for the US, but it would probably lose them a few thousand Japanese sales to importing. Why exactly would they do that if making money was their goal?

Last edited by hissatsu01 on Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:44 am; edited 2 times in total
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:33 am Reply with quote
Basically, thanks to Aniplex USA people who were already going to import Kara no Kyoukai in the first place can now save $200. Good for those fans. I could afford it.....if I canceled all of my animation and game-buying plans for the first four months of 2011. No Summer Wars, no Evangelion 2.22, no The Last Unicorn Blu-Ray, no All Star Superman, no Dragon Age II, no.......

Yeah. I really want to see it, but I'm not that interested.

I try to look at the silver lining. Maybe a DVD release will happen eventually. Perhaps this thing will at least get screened at some major fan conventions now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 20