• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Adds Kara no Kyoukai - the Garden of sinners

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zombie_Punk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:33 am Reply with quote
Even though it's probably too damn much for a single show I have high hopes for this one and will take the plunge.
staab99

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:49 am Reply with quote
I love Kara No Kyokai, but damn the price is too expensive (plus I don't own a Blu-Ray), which sucks because it's one of my favorite film series.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:55 am Reply with quote
Neat. I hope they do a DVD release too though, being one of the perhaps 5% of people in the USA who has neither a Blu-Ray player nor a High Def TV at this point. I am so behind the times.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Man, that price is REALLY overwhelming. Though this release is almost a 1:1 correspondence with the Japanese release so it's almost considered to be an import, right? I'm thinking this is temporary considering this is for peeps who wants this right away and has a shit load of money.

So in other words, it's not really considered "licensed". Aniplex USA just created an avenue for R1 peeps to be able to get an import R2 version Kara no Kyoukai via RightStuf.

Last edited by darkchibi07 on Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:20 pm Reply with quote
All most 400 buck for subs fudge that now if they dub it then it worth 400 bucks
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
hissatsu01 wrote:
Actually, if you pre-ordered from Amazon when it was first announced, it's only about $30 cheaper, and it is the Japanese release, with a translated booklet thrown in. The price is extremely high for the US. Yet why would they do otherwise? They could drop the price by $100 - $150 and that would do little to increase US sales, but it would invite cannibalizing Japanese sales. They're going to sell ten of thousands of copies in Japan, and probably not much more than 1-2% of that in the US. Assuming they're more interested in making money than placating US fans accustomed to much lower prices, why would they sell it for much cheaper?

See, this is what I don't understand. I've heard it said that the reason Japanese releases are so expensive is that Japanese distribs discovered that lowering prices, apparently, had no real impact on sales because it was mostly hardcore otaku buying the titles and it is almost a point of pride among that group to pay through the nose. Then you read about how Japanese distribs fear reverse importation and the flooding of their market with cheap imports. Those viewpoints are mutually exclusive.

Not really. Their thinking is more that people will buy them anyway, regardless of the price. That doesn't mean that they will automatically buy the most expensive release just because it's the most expensive. If you can import a copy much cheaper, then there could still be a large portion of the fanbase that would choose that route.

Anyway, I'm not surprised to see this sub-only or on bluray, but the price was a bit shocking. I rarely complain about price (and usually think R1 prices are a bit low for the tiny market) but $400 is a bit much even for me. I will be skipping it for now.

Also, to those asking about Bakemonogatari, don't hold your breath. It will likely get licensed in the future, but there are some monetary issues with the license holding it up. Until Kodansha becomes more reasonable, it will likely continue to get passed up on. Though I would advise keeping your fingers crossed. Wink
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:43 pm Reply with quote
It comes with a booklet translation too! How lucky are we!

Ya know, this is awesome because I wrote all about Kara no Kyokai on the last Aniplex suggestion card I sent in. Makes me feel special that it actually happened Smile
Zilan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
400 dollars? F that.

Aniplex = the new Bandai Visual
fireaxe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Pre-ordered. Very Happy

The good thing is that the release date is 2 months from now, gives me just enough time to save some extra money for it! Now I'm glad I didn't pre-order it already through Amazon.jp...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:
AHAHAHHAHAA Aniplex USA thinks that Kara no Kyoukai can sell well in America at that price AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHA HYSTERICAL.

There was going to be folks in America that bought the bluray boxset off of CDJapan anyway at a slightly higher price. By putting it up on TRSI they have gotten around the import tax and provided a little more American exposure to the boxset than CDJapan would have.

All that with no more effort than adding in one English translation booklet to the Japanese boxset.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:01 pm Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
Pre-ordered. Very Happy

The good thing is that the release date is 2 months from now, gives me just enough time to save some extra money for it! Now I'm glad I didn't pre-order it already through Amazon.jp...

I'm not sure your custom rank here at ANN completely makes sense any more... Wink
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:03 pm Reply with quote
For everyone laughing and complaining at Aniplex for selling a Bluray boxset for 400 bucks... there's nothing stopping them from selling the rights to the series about a year down the road to FUNi. Or even dubbing it themselves and selling it at a massively discounted rate for North American consumers.

Atleast I hope Aniplex has that kind of foresight to do something like that.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Mmmm, loving the storage case and the look of the artbook...
gerbilx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Time to cancel that amazon.jp order. >.>

Anywho, I am most pleased by this news.
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... nope, not for me, can't justify spending that much. I'm happy for the others who were going to buy it anyways. I just hope down the line (even if it's a year or more later) that a more inexpensive release is brought to the US market.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 20