• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Radio City Rockets

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:13 pm Reply with quote
asimpson2006 wrote:

Your not, I'm not sure what happened.

Simple mistake, code left in from last week. It's been fixed.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Thunderbird- wrote:
While you may find the Oh! Edo Rocket trailer annoying. I consider it to be the best anime trailer that Funimation has ever made.

I think the greatest trailer I've seen from them is for Kenji the Mightiest Disciple (or whatever it's called). That trailer makes a mediocre show look like it might be much more fun and interesting than it actually is.

The Edo Rocket trailer is a guy screaming at you in an annoying voice.

pachy_boy wrote:
You really hate the Star Wars prequels, don't you? Enough so you see every chance you get to bash them in this column. Speaking solely for myself, it gets really tiring to read after a while.

I can't recall bashing them here more than maybe one other time, but I also can't remember everything I've written.

For me the Phantom Menace was boring and disappointing, I outright hated Attack of the Clones, but I ended up hating myself for watching Revenge of the Sith.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:58 pm Reply with quote
I had also been disappointed with the delivery in the early episodes of Birdy the Mighty Decode compared to the original OAV. Although I only remember it vaguely, but I did watch it, I remember the original was told in a much more charming way with a good blend of pervy (boy in a girl's body part), and sophistication (good old sci-fi and engaging action scenes). But from the review it looks like it gets a lot better and probably surpasses the original since the original suffered from a budget cut that left it as a open-ended, unfinished work typical of many OAVs of the time.

I caught Decode as streaming episodes. I'll have to revisit them and continue watching or better yet pick up the DVDs.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to, unfortunatly, agree with Erin's assessment of the 20th century boys movies. There's just sooooo many things wrong with the second movie that it'd take me an hour to list them all. However, I will say that the end credit sequence, when they're fighting the Crimson Twins, is probably one of the best sequences in the movie.

I like the first movie okay. Most of the changes made sense to me, given the streamlining they had to do to get the storyarch into one movie.

I have not seen the third movie, because I refuse to let myself do so untill the last volume of the manga comes out. I want to also say: Please don't let Erin's review of the movie dissuade you from reading the manga. The manga is infinitely awesome, and should be checked out by anyone interested in manga.

If anyone's truly curious, I'm gonna be doing a live bitch session to a friend of mine's about movie 2, and I might come back and post all the problems I have with it (in spoiler tags) So check back, or PM me.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm so glad to see so many people discovering Oh Edo Rocket. This show deserves more acclaim.

Last edited by v1cious on Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:20 pm Reply with quote
Glad you liked Birdy the Mighty! Of the shows I've watched lately, Birdy is the first one I marathoned (just the first season so far). It looks great and Birdy is an awesome character. As soon as TRSI has a funimation sale I'm picking it up.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:36 pm Reply with quote
@Erin re: the prequels

You may enjoy them more if you view them as a D&D campaign gone horribly wrong. Enjoy! Laughing
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I thought the first season of Birdy was alright but average and loved the second season way more. The second season focuses more on Birdy and having her fleshed out more made it a really great series. And I keep hearing good things about Oh Edo Rocket so I'm adding that to my to watch list, hoping that it's as fun as everyone says it is.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
I've been eying Birdy for a wile now but I think this put's it into the buy category for me Smile
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:54 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Well, I just added Birdy to my Netflix list, but they've been getting very slow about adding new anime, so who knows when I'll get to watch it.

Netflix?! Ha! Ha! Ha! Oh, my sides!!!

But seriously... I'm all but done with them (they can butter my butt and bite it). My save list is four times longer than my queue and they haven't added any new anime since... early this past summer(?), I believe. And they haven't replaced any lost or damaged volumes in series.

I've given up on them for anime.

I'll probably go to rentanime (especially if they have the Funi One Piece dubs).

But back on topic, both Edo! and Birdy are on my 'must watch' list (I'm a watch before I buy kinda fellow with dubs).
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:01 am Reply with quote
CareyGrant wrote:
Greed1914 wrote:
Well, I just added Birdy to my Netflix list, but they've been getting very slow about adding new anime, so who knows when I'll get to watch it.

Netflix?! Ha! Ha! Ha! Oh, my sides!!!

But seriously... I'm all but done with them (they can butter my butt and bite it). My save list is four times longer than my queue and they haven't added any new anime since... early this past summer(?), I believe. And they haven't replaced any lost or damaged volumes in series.

I've given up on them for anime.

I'll probably go to rentanime (especially if they have the Funi One Piece dubs).

But back on topic, both Edo! and Birdy are on my 'must watch' list (I'm a watch before I buy kinda fellow with dubs).

I've actually been considering subscribing to RentAnime due to this issue. I know Casshern Sins has been listed as "unknown" availability since August. Although I've also built up a sizable queue of stuff that they do have available, so I haven't been that motivated to take on another monthly fee.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:04 am Reply with quote
Yet more praise for Birdy (of which I've heard a good deal). I'm going to have to purchase it sometime next year.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:47 am Reply with quote
Context

Psychologically, praise can backfire. Give too much and it can't help but fail. Give it too little and how can it not earn points. After many miss-aligning opinions, a friend and I made a policy to just neutrally recommend things. That we would bring something to the other's attention was all the push that anything would get. The one time I broke the guideline I did so when I was pretty sure that it would hold up. (It did) Smile

That's pretty unfair to expect from a reviewer, but I see the theory playing out in today's reviews, as well as my reaction to it.

Oh Edo Rocket - the trailer lowered your expectations, you were impressed to find it rise above. I read glowing reviews and am not finding it quite that great. That's not to say I don't like it, but I expected to be 'wowed' and I'm not. I *will* be giving it a chance to win me over.

20th Century Boys - I never read the manga and the movie appeared in front of me with no fanfare, so I had no expectations and found that I quite liked it and the following the movies. I agree the middle portion sags a little but I felt the end did have a good payoff. I remember leaving the theatre thinking 'that's the best wrap-up I'd seen in a while(especially for a Japanese production, which I think are often notorious for non-ending endings). I think it's fair for the people who read the manga and loved it to expect more and for those who think quality should match budget. It might not but, what's done is done. When I watch a movie I don't sit there with a ledger. That element of context is optional. I guess already liking the movie by the time the trivia about the scale of the production came to my attention allowed it to be just that.

Birdy the mighty - I heard good things and I liked it but that was about it. I think it's strength was in the personality and heart that it possessed.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:40 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

I've actually been considering subscribing to RentAnime due to this issue. I know Casshern Sins has been listed as "unknown" availability since August. Although I've also built up a sizable queue of stuff that they do have available, so I haven't been that motivated to take on another monthly fee.

Just thought I'd mention that Birdy is streaming (subbed) on hulu and youtube, although if you wanted to see the dub then you're still out of luck.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Oh Edo Rocket is definitely one of the best anime I've ever watched. I need to get hurry and get the second DVD. I love this show! Very Happy

Birdy I'd been wondering about and you've given me a somewhat clear idea, so thank you Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3