• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Sony Japan Ends Sales of PlayStation 2 Console

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Crying or Very sad

Last edited by 28076004505531 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kohii

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote
It had a great run. I'm going to pour a 40 on the curb in you memory, PS2.
dan9999

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote
The King of Kings finally sleeps.

This console brought us a golden era in video games history, which started with the PS1 of course.

If only ignorant idiots that have no idea what they are selling and doing did not get to run whole companies or become president/chairman...like a clueless rich kid son of a -millionaire of course- banker = Kaz Hirai

Last edited by dan9999 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Not that I had any intentions of getting a Japanese PS2, but this makes me think I need to hurry up and get a replacement for my currently not working PS2.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Gyt Kaliba

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Bet this means they'll stop being on sale here too pretty soon, right? Mine is still in perfect working order as far as I know, but seeing as how most of my games are PS2 and that it's probably my favorite system overall, it's sad to see this happen, even if it was only a matter of time. Rest in peace, PS2.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mrsatan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Dear Sony,
Please enable PS2 emulation on PS3s. We know you can do it, and there's no reason not to now. Thanks.
Sincerely,
A loyal Sony customer
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
mrsatan wrote:
Dear Sony,
Please enable PS2 emulation on PS3s. We know you can do it, and there's no reason not to now. Thanks.
Sincerely,
A loyal Sony customer

They tried. It's actually surprisingly difficult--their solution with the first batch of PS3's was to literally just have all the components of the PS2 in them, which partially accounted for why the thing was so ridiculously expensive.

ALso, emulating is REALLY difficult. Even top-of-the-line gaming PCs have trouble emulating the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox as of now.

////

In any case, I'm glad I picked up a PS2 for 40 bucks a few months ago. Thing's still working strong.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:22 pm Reply with quote
It's a good thing I got mine when I did a few Christmases ago.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Truly the legend of all consoles. When they said it would last for 10+ years, it really did. I miss Sony in their good old days.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Truly the end of an era. I still like console gaming, but my console usage now is nothing compared to what it was during the PS2's reign. I'm still an avid gamer, but pretty focused on PC gaming now. Nothing holds a candle to the greatness that was the PS2. It was reasonably priced, had a huge array of games, and the thing was built to last. My PS2 still works like a dream and while I didn't buy it right at release, it wasn't long after that when I did.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dan9999

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
mrsatan wrote:
Dear Sony,
Sincerely,
A loyal Sony customer

They tried. It's actually surprisingly difficult--their solution with the first batch of PS3's was to literally just have all the components of the PS2 in them, which partially accounted for why the thing was so ridiculously expensive.

ALso, emulating is REALLY difficult. Even top-of-the-line gaming PCs have trouble emulating the Gamecube/PS2/Xbox as of now.

////

In any case, I'm glad I picked up a PS2 for 40 bucks a few months ago. Thing's still working strong.

No, pcsx2 emulates most ps2 almost perfectly, dolphin does an excellent job with gamecube/wii games, some glitches sometime but nothing major. A good cpu and graphics card will do the job just fine, in 2012 you dont need the most expensive hardware anymore for emulating the ps2/GC/DC/WII/DS.

Current gen consoles is another issue however, probbaly not even the best hardware would emulate the ps3/360.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:11 pm Reply with quote
An era has ended.

Though I've become strictly loyal to Nintendo in recent years, the PS2 is the gaming console I've had the most contact with since birth. The PS2 lived on longer than Sony probably wanted it to, so it should be appreciated how much appreciation and respect so many people have for the console.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Happy Retirement Japanese PlayStation2.
Thank you for developing "Kingdom Hearts".
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I had no idea they were still being produced Surprised

On the other hand, they should make ps3 backwards compatible. PS2 games are DVD format, since ps3 plays DVDs --- means it can play ps2 games [its sony who made a patch to prevent ps2 sales from dropping by making it impossible to play ps2 games on ps3]
Dumnerd

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:27 pm Reply with quote
The PS2 is the NES of the 21st century.
May it forever rest in peace in our minds and in our hearts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3