• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Historia Lessons

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:32 am Reply with quote
Seems Next Week's releases are a bit lacking this week, so why don't you write something about Epic Mickey? I hear many are excited about it.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Which brings me, somewhat vaguely, to Nintendo's new Japan-only system bundle for the Wii, which includes Mistwalker's ambitious RPG The Last Story.

Huh... I guess when I first heard about this bundle, I had just assumed that the bundle itself was just a combo of the game, art book and soundtrack. But if it's bundled with the Wii.... wow, Nintendo of Japan is giving super props to Mistwalker here (granted, it IS being published by Nintendo). Sure hope it'll pay off in the long run... apparently the title is already firing up Amazon Japan's game-sale charts, and just in the pre-order stage!

Quote:
There'll be no such deal in North America, where we're not sure just how or when we'll get The Last Story.

Probably not a wii bundle, sadly (though I personally already have one).... but hopefully a special/pre-order edition with the other extras, right? RIGHT? (Now that I think about it.... has NOA itself EVER offered special-edition goodies with a game before, as so many other companies do?)

Quote:
When we get it, though, it certainly won't be something every Wii owner will remember a decade down the road

Even if it's scientifically proven down the road that's its made out of Utter Win and Awesome Sauce? (i.e., regardless of the quality of the game?) :(

Now For Something Completely Different... I really haven't played a handheld game since FFVI, due to no DS ownership, but I have very fond memories of borrowing & playing Golden Sun: The Lost Age. Was actually hoping a sequel would come to the gamecube, heh. I wonder if the latest one will follow up on that loose end concerning Alex at the end of the Lost Age...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:09 am Reply with quote
Last Story?

Like a final fantasy?
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:38 am Reply with quote
I want to get that Last Story bundle just for the box.

Quote:
At last, the Pride and Prejudice versus Jane Eyre fighting game arrives

Someone needs to make this happen.
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:50 am Reply with quote
Quote:
It'll likely get buried by the Tactics Ogre PSP remake, just like it did in Japan.

I really don't think the fanbase for Ogre battles/Tactics is that big here. In fact, RADIANT HISTORIA may do just as well or better considering the majority of Atlus fans will buy it since it's from them.

God I hope Criminal Girls gets released here. I want Totori, Neptuna, and AT3 first obviously; but I don't mind waiting for NISA to clear their plate before taking on the duties of localizing CG.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:38 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
I wonder if the latest one will follow up on that loose end concerning Alex at the end of the Lost Age...

They better! I've been waiting to see that one loose end tackled for seven years now.

Lovable Zombies sounds promising, hope it gets released at least in the US.

Radiant Historia does look pretty generic, but the premise and the time travel mechanics seemed interesting enough for a preorder. Plus, like Ranma824 said, it's from Atlus and I always try to support those guys.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:57 am Reply with quote
Glad to see there's something about the Umineko fighting game this week~

Shame nothing was said about the fact is going to be fully voiced and have netplay.
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:15 am Reply with quote
Just to clarify, Umineko and Higurashi aren't Visual Novels, but Sound Novels, the clear difference being that there aren't any choices or story branches (beyond the new chapters in the series released at each Comiket). It also bears noting that all of the novels are "All Ages", meaning that you won't be finding any sex scenes.

And the Higurashi series had its own fighting game, that being Higurashi Daybreak (which also got a port to the PSP and is quite fun).
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:25 am Reply with quote
I wish Sakaguchi would explain what is up with that tiger in TLS' promotional artwork.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:37 am Reply with quote
Zombies and Harvest Moon. Two of my favorite things mixed together. Me piqued.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:52 am Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:
Just to clarify, Umineko and Higurashi aren't Visual Novels, but Sound Novels, the clear difference being that there aren't any choices or story branches (beyond the new chapters in the series released at each Comiket).

Hate to break it to ya but it's been confirmed that Umineko ep 8 will have choices.

How many choices has yet to be revealed but it's in order to have a different ending so each person reading can have a different view of it. a.k.a one of the Knox rules that went down the drain after ep 6.
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
As in esteemed epics like Valkyrie Profile and Panzer Dragoon Saga

Just take all my money already, Atlus!

I hope the Umineko game is better than the Higurashi one. It was okay, but this one seems pretty polished up and I like the group working on it. Hopefully it's not as disappointing as the anime adaptation.
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:01 pm Reply with quote
who_is_friend wrote:
It also bears noting that all of the novels are "All Ages", meaning that you won't be finding any sex scenes.

Yet, if they're anything like their anime adaptions, contain more gore than your standard American horror film. "All Ages" lol
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I never understood the popularity and critical acclaim behind Golden Sun. I played the first one years ago, and while it was moderately enjoyable (enough so for me to beat it), I found the story and characters to be bland and forgettable and the battle system to be overly simplistic. In the end I didn't end up caring enough about it to get the second game. I guess the theory that it gained its popularity by filling a niche is as good as any. Early reviews seem to indicate that the Western press is less receptive to Golden Sun's traditional JRPG tropes now than they were 6-7 years ago, as they're now criticizing it for flaws that I always felt to be present. I wonder how the original games would have been received if they'd come out after the GBA was flooded with 16-bit RPG ports?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:27 pm Reply with quote
I for some reason, now want to play Tactics Ogre it looks very interesting, and I haven't played a tactic game in a long time!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2