• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Winter 2013 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:23 pm Reply with quote
The English translation didn't need to be so faithful. Anyone who wants to recommend the show to others has to explain what is up with the title; really annoying.
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Fantasy one looks good. Gonna try that later.

One more drop in a life filled with regrets!

Last edited by egoist on Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:38 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
The English translation didn't need to be so faithful. Anyone who wants to recommend the show to others has to explain what is up with the title; really annoying.

What are you talking about? The title wasn't changed at all.
scineram

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:51 pm Reply with quote
I must be tired or something, but Maoyuusha didn't make any sense. I see no redeeming qualities yet.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

When you said "MANGARURU", I thought you were referring to the Japanese title.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:00 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

When you said "MANGARURU", I thought you were referring to the Japanese title.

Freaking Katakana, how does it work!?
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:06 pm Reply with quote
I had no idea this was starting, so the marquee image showing up was a nice surprise Smile

Nothing this season really grabs me. Hopefully my apathy will be proven unfounded and one of the ANN crew will highlight something interesting.

Although I have to admit I might watch Encouragement of Climb just because the name is so gloriously dumb. If this gets a DVD release it absolutely must keep that name. I want to see Encouragement of Climb box sets in shops.

Quote:
The war really can't end because it's gone on for so long that it's now the economic engine driving nearly the entire world - entire systems and populations would collapse if it were to actually end.

Isn't that basically the plot of 1984 except with economic stability subbed in for political power? Interesting. I thought this was going to be dumb based on the three maids, but this makes it sound worth watching.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:13 pm Reply with quote
Maoyu What am I going to do with you. I disliked the fan service and humor but I actually think that it's actual plot is interesting. it is hard not to make comparison between it and spice and wolf constantly through the actual plot seems like it will be different enough from spice and wolf that you won't be able to make the compression for long (my family are spice & wolf fans). the series is odd though to say the least with the difference in tone between it's jokes and plot that seem to be clashing to me.
Does anyone know how the anime compares to to the novel I assume it is very close based on the adaptation of spice and wolf and how they share some key staff among them the director.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:16 pm Reply with quote
For the record, from what Japanese I know, the title appears to be "Mangaru", derived from the words "Manga" and "Gāru" (Which is basically just the Japanese phonetic spelling of "girl")

So, the title wasn't really changed, it just makes no sense in English.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Maybe for an English title, ManGal would work better, but it still sounds like something of questionable sex. The pun doesn't work in English, the end.
ZodiacBeast

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:32 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Maybe for an English title, ManGal would work better, but it still sounds like something of questionable sex. The pun doesn't work in English, the end.

I could see it as "MangaGal". Alliteration ftw.
BonnKansan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
What's amusing is that the Comic anthology that the Manga Gals are starting up (Comics Earth Star) has the same name as the anthology the original manga runs in, and both are fairly new, only having started up in March 2011. So in a way, it's basically a documentary - though a self-deprecating one, with the implication that the people starting the real anthology don't entirely know what they're doing Razz .

Encouragement of Climb (name chosen in advance by the Japanese) also runs in Comics Earth Star, so it looks like they're getting into the 3-minute promo-anime thing like Takeshobo did last year. From the offerings here and on JManga, it appears to specialize in "cute girls involved with random topic" manga, as there's also ones about female pro-wrestling and bicycling, etc. (though at least the psychedelic RECORD seems to break that mold).

Maoyuu looks nice and interesting enough to stick with, so long as the boob-joke quotient doesn't go up any further. Sure hope some of the other new half-hour shows this season prove worth a follow too!
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Meh, I'm just waiting for Oreshura to premiere. Nothing currently on interests me besides Maoyuu.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm waiting for the one about the wolf-boy and his nemesis, the money eating goat.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:25 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
I'm waiting for the one about the wolf-boy and his nemesis, the money eating goat.

I'm waiting for the one about excellent characters playing engrossing card games, A.K.A. the best show of the season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 49