• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Geneon Licenses [2005-04-30]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:09 am Reply with quote
JackBassV wrote:
Oh, for those who don't know, the manga for Sensei no Ojikan was released before Azumanga.

But Azumanga does it so much better.

Bottle Fairy should be on one disc, or a double disc release at most, like Magical Play.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:25 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Bottle Fairy should be on one disc, or a double disc release at most, like Magical Play.

Why, exactly?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nobuyuki

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:57 am Reply with quote
Erufu wrote:
I just hope it doesn't sit on the back burner like so many other titles these days. *cough* Samurai 7 *cough*

What th...? It's coming in August, 11 months from the licensing announcement, eight months from the series finale.

Some people are just ridiculously impatient. Rolling Eyes
Demaar

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 4:00 am Reply with quote
Hmm, Starship Ops is kind of an odd license to grab. Heck, I'm a Trek fan and even I couldn't get past the heavy dialogueness of it all. I dunno, maybe the first few episodes are the only ones that are that way.
Oh well, too late to give it a chance now, licensed Razz
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shiki MSHTS

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:28 am Reply with quote
YES. Sensei no Ojikan. =D

Something tells me it's going to attract the wrong type of crowd. Oh well. Mika-sensei is great.

Good good stuff. Geneon <3
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kyuuketsuki_Kurai

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 10:18 am Reply with quote
Bottle Fairy looks really cute, and I'll probably give it a shot. Battleship Operations is supposed to be good. But... I'm unsure of the Doki Doki School Hours one. Is it actually any good? I haven't heard anything about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
NeoSam

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:11 pm Reply with quote
SnowfairyX wrote:
The Xenos wrote:
I like stuff like Berserk and Hellsing... so why the hell am I going to have to buy Bottle Fairy? What the hell?!

-Xenos

If you keep telling yourself that you don't want to buy it, you eventually will. Kind of like someone that is homo-phobic that bashes homosexuals probably is secretly one himself. I'm assuming you're a guy who needs violent and "manly" anime to reassure yourself that you're still a guy. You're probably thinking about fairies right now. I know you secretly want to buy Bottle Fairy, so just buy it when it comes out. Nothing to be ashamed about.

There is no reason for him to be ashamed about it.

He is the target audience for it anyway.
Bottle Fairy was serialized in Magical Cute magazine (which is a bishoujo magazine, and bishoujo magazines are targeted at male audience, this magazine has many cute and ecchi manga which are ALL targeted at male audience).

Bishoujo magazines are targeted at male audience, anyhting in these magazines from cute manga to ecchi manga are targeted at male audience. (bishoujo anime/manga/games are targeted at male audience)

Bottle Fairy is a bishoujo manga/anime that is targeted at male audience, so he has nothing to be ashamed about.(the anime was broadcasted at 2:00 am because of the moe factor, and yes moe factor)

Manly? Rolling Eyes

Bottle Fairy is not the first cute manga/anime that is targeted at male audience and its not the last one.
Just check bishoujo magazines and you'll find many cute manga.(yes they are targeted at male audience).
SnowfairyX

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:34 pm Reply with quote
NeoSam wrote:
SnowfairyX wrote:
The Xenos wrote:
I like stuff like Berserk and Hellsing... so why the hell am I going to have to buy Bottle Fairy? What the hell?!

-Xenos

If you keep telling yourself that you don't want to buy it, you eventually will. Kind of like someone that is homo-phobic that bashes homosexuals probably is secretly one himself. I'm assuming you're a guy who needs violent and "manly" anime to reassure yourself that you're still a guy. You're probably thinking about fairies right now. I know you secretly want to buy Bottle Fairy, so just buy it when it comes out. Nothing to be ashamed about.

There is no reason for him to be ashamed about it.

He is the target audience for it anyway.
Bottle Fairy was serialized in Magical Cute magazine (which is a bishoujo magazine, and bishoujo magazines are targeted at male audience, this magazine has many cute and ecchi manga which are ALL targeted at male audience).

Bishoujo magazines are targeted at male audience, anyhting in these magazines from cute manga to ecchi manga are targeted at male audience. (bishoujo anime/manga/games are targeted at male audience)

Bottle Fairy is a bishoujo manga/anime that is targeted at male audience, so he has nothing to be ashamed about.(the anime was broadcasted at 2:00 am because of the moe factor, and yes moe factor)

Manly? Rolling Eyes

Bottle Fairy is not the first cute manga/anime that is targeted at male audience and its not the last one.
Just check bishoujo magazines and you'll find many cute manga.(yes they are targeted at male audience).

I'm just starting to find out about this recently. I had no idea that Bottle Fairy was originally targeted to adult males in Japan. From the perspective of an American, I assumed that it was targeted towards children or maybe females. I think most guys in the U.S. won't find themselves the target audience for a title such as Bottle Fairy, though.
NeoSam

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 2:05 pm Reply with quote
SnowfairyX wrote:
I think most guys in the U.S. won't find themselves the target audience for a title such as Bottle Fairy, though.

Ignorance will keep them away from it, while males were the primary viewers of this anime in japan.

And the american companies don't help at all, everything that is cute no matter whom the target audience in japan, they will probably target it at females and saying lies about it bieng shoujo anime while its not.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Fronzel wrote:

Why, exactly?

Because it's less than three hours long?
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:

And what was so hard about just saying this the first time for those of us who are unfamiliar with Bottle Fairy?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Fronzel wrote:

And what was so hard about just saying this the first time for those of us who are unfamiliar with Bottle Fairy?

'cause I didn't think of it. This became a Bottle Fairy thread from a Geneon Licenses thread, I didn't expect this "unfamilarity with Bottle Fairy" you speak of.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:32 pm Reply with quote
SnowfairyX wrote:
I'm just starting to find out about this recently. I had no idea that Bottle Fairy was originally targeted to adult males in Japan. From the perspective of an American, I assumed that it was targeted towards children or maybe females. I think most guys in the U.S. won't find themselves the target audience for a title such as Bottle Fairy, though.

And yet they will find themselves secretly ordering it online or buying it at the store and saying in a low voice, "It's for a friend."

Seriously, just wait.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:31 am Reply with quote
But how are they going to do it? I just re-watched it, coincidently, and there's lots and lots of language jokes. They can have notes about the Japanese holidays and stuff, but how do you deal with all those puns in a dub?
Professor Genius

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:47 am Reply with quote
Quote:
But how are they going to do it? I just re-watched it, coincidently, and there's lots and lots of language jokes. They can have notes about the Japanese holidays and stuff, but how do you deal with all those puns in a dub?

If they're smart about it, they won't deal with all those puns. They'll get some clever and funny person to write the ADR script, thus sparing the average dub viewer who could care less about retardedly obscure jokes and give us some funny crap. Unfortunately, what we'll likely get is a dub that sticks very close to the original script, which is a loss for those of us who don't like checking liner notes just to get a joke that wasn't funny to begin with. I truly pray we're never saddled with another Cromartie High School...ever again.

Seriously...to all you company reps out there...STOP licensing anime with nothing but stupid obscure jokes. If you must license them, please just Fosterize the dubs to spare those of us unfortunate enough to check them out from a waste of $20-$30.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3