• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Oreshura/Ore no Kanojo (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustinGallimore

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:12 pm Reply with quote
This show reminds me of Tonari, how both main characters are study freaks.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Actually, I mis-counted. I am currently watching 18 titles and there are 13 new ones that either I haven't checked out yet or that haven't aired yet. Assuming I watch and keep all 13 remaining titles, that would be 31 shows to keep abreast of. However, right now 5 of my 18 shows are shorts, so there are only 13 that have full-length episodes.

People always get freaked out by a large number, but even with full length episodes, each title only represents about 24 minutes a week (less, really, since I tend to skip OPs and EDs after I've seen them a few times). But let's assume each show represents a time commitment of 24 minutes a week and I watch 30 of them: that would amount to 12 hours of viewing over a seven day period, or a little less than an hour and three-quarters each day. Considering I don't watch any regular television at all, 12 hours spread out over a week is not super onerous and represents less time in front of a screen than the average TV viewer (who can easily put in 20 or more hours a week).

However, I do like do other things besides watching anime, so I find that if I try to follow more than 20 shows a week, I end up falling behind, as I am now.

I also have the same problem if I watch too many animes at the same time, I fall behind on some of them because some weeks I just do not feel like watching it. I also do not watch any other regular shows, as I only watch sports on TV.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
JustinGallimore wrote:

the first ep didn't mention anything about the female lead is a study freak.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
JustinGallimore wrote:

the first ep didn't mention anything about the female lead is a study freak.

he is talking about Eita, not Masuzu
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:42 pm Reply with quote
@WhiteHairGirls - the other problem with watching a bunch of shows at once is that everything tends to get mashed up. I don't know how many times I've been watching something and thought, "hey didn't that character do such and such a while back?" only to suddenly realize I'm thinking of a completely different show. I guess that's inevitable given that anime character designs are often similar, not to mention premises.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

spoiler[Masuzu & Eita + Chiwa as the third wheel.
Looks like she's the one opposed to that relationship.
Judging by her reaction to Eita's girlfriend, she also has feelings for him.
Masuzu sure knows how to spin others as she pleases.]
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Masuzu Natsukawa is what makes this show, I don't know what make of her actions/attitude but this is something I'm not used to seeing in romance/harem series.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Masuzu continues to be entertaining, especially with her spoiler[entertaining herself by tricking Chiwa into makeing a fool out of herself under the guise of helping her. Although I would guess that she did not realize the tragedy of Chiwa so she will hopefully not do anything too physical now]. But Chiwa was already spoiler[making a bit of a fool of herself by trying to do a run in encounter, but she draws the line at showing her panties].

Probably aweful thing to say, but I find the whole being able to pretend to be really kind, but can actually be really saddistic to be rather attractive. Probably more so since I don't think she is a bad person, just haveing some fun, I thought her laughter was rather cute.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:58 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Masuzu Natsukawa is what makes this show, I don't know what make of her actions/attitude but this is something I'm not used to seeing in romance/harem series.
DuskyPredator wrote:
Probably more so since I don't think she is a bad person, just haveing some fun, I thought her laughter was rather cute.

She definitely is twisted in some way, but not irredeemable. It can relate to her apparent base motivation in not wanting to be pestered constantly, but I find myself wanting to see her get some comeuppance over her more naughty acts. She knows how to use sex as a weapon and it feels like she is being a little too ruthless to be allowed to get away with it.

Quote:

And not only that, their tidy little world they made for themselves is broken into by an unpredictable, uncontrollable character that seems more like a force of nature. And it's good for them. Clearly a variation on a theme.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:33 pm Reply with quote
i really like the opening song. this episode was also mildly amusing
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

spoiler[Eita totally snapped.
Masuzu only thinking about popularity.
Chiwa going along with for Eita.
Seems like Masuzu wants Chiwa to have a boyfriend so she wouldn't be their 3rd wheel.
Chiwa doesn't get why Eita doesn't get her feelings... such a complicated relationship.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Least believable line so far this year: "What was that about?"

Seriously? Given that the line is used in a high percentage of teen anime romances, I can't think of an instance where the situation was not plainer. This goes way beyond the usual requirement for the harem lead to be as dense as possible.

At least Eita and Chiwa's relationship seems a bit deeper than than is typical, which is interesting. They wrote in a decent backstory instead of just leaving it with two kids laughing with each other on the swing set.

I wonder when and how the tables get turned on Masuzu. Clearly they're setting her up for that.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:06 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Least believable line so far this year: "What was that about?"

Seriously? Given that the line is used in a high percentage of teen anime romances, I can't think of an instance where the situation was not plainer. This goes way beyond the usual requirement for the harem lead to be as dense as possible.

I had the sane thought watching this. How can anyone be that stupid unless they are really trying hard to not notice. If he'd have even thought "could she...like me? Noooo, that can't be", and then dismissed it, it would have felt more believable.

I was slightly thrown off when shortly after her leaving this scene it showed her returning with a cast, but I really enjoyed getting this back story and seeing WHY he has turned into such a study bug.

And seriously, some parts of this show make me really laugh! The guitar scene in the other ep and the past life part here, I found those hysterical!

...And thanks to Blood-'s post, I had to go count how many shows I was ACTIVELY in the midst of, and it was 36. I wish I wouldn't have counted that, that seems like much to many to be into at one time. I knew that on some level, so I have been trying to knock some out that I could finish that aren't current simulcasts, but a lot of them are.

This won't likely be a show I am dropping though.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:07 am Reply with quote
As much as I groan at dense male leads in Anime, I do think it is unfair to put all the blame solely on them. What about all the female characters who are incapable of spitting out "I love you"?

Seriously, the female childhood friends in Anime often come across as stupidly possessive b*tches who think that the boys are their personal property and are not allowed to get their own girlfriends. The girls think that possession is nine-tenths of the law and that they've already claimed their boy (often by cooking and cleaning for him, and definitely from knowing him for years), despite the fact that they are not an actual couple. The girls think that they are in a relationship, but it only exists inside their heads, and so they get upset when the boys are attracted to other girls.

The boys for their part think that they are still in a close friendship with the girls, and that the girls are super-friendly because that's just what close friends do. The boys have friend-zoned the girls (whom they've often known for years), and just don't understand what the girl who is screaming at them and calling them "baka" wants out of the 'friendship'. The boys take the girls at their word when the girls say that they are strictly friends because the boys aren't even thinking of the girls - their close childhood friends, remember - in a sexual way, and so aren't even aware that they should be trying to read between the lines of what the girls say and do.

Okay, let's bring this back to Ore no Kanojo.

Even though Chiwa considers herself and Eita as an unofficial couple, she has never bothered to tell Eita that she loves him in that way and in fact has led him to believe that she is serious about wooing another boy. Then when he believes her words and is happy for her success she rages at him, despite it being her fault that he doesn't know she romantically likes him.

If Chiwa said to Eita "I love you, and not just as a brother or childhood friend" then this whole mess could have been avoided. Yes yes, he could pick up on her signals; I'm not saying he's blameless. But she could be honest with Eita instead of lying to him and then treating him like the bad guy. If she really wanted progress, if she really wanted Eita to notice her in a sexual/romantic light, she should be honest with him.

She's willing to humiliate herself in front of a dozen people to be popular enough to confess to a guy she doesn't even like to try as part of some bizarre and roundabout scheme to somehow get Eita jealous. But she won't do the simple, straightforward thing and actually tell Eita how she feels. She needs to reassess her priorities, and whether she truly likes him. If she absolutely must win him over, she needs to straight-up tell him how she feels. Lying to Eita, confessing to another boy and then getting b*tchy when Eita isn't jealous (because he's happy his childhood friend has found love) . . . she may be sending signals but they're obtuse as heck. While Eita should be better at reading his childhood friend, there's a limit to how much you can blame him when Chiwa is acting so goddamn irrational.

Anyway, the upshot is that HaruhiToy and bonbonsrus are being very unfair to Eita. He doesn't deserve to be mocked when it is Chiwa who is sabotaging her own chances of being with him. She had years to confess to Eita but never did. Years of having Eita to herself but wasted all that time. And now, everything she does is completely contrary to her goal. She needs to simply stop lying and actually tell him how she really feels. Because, like most people, he's not a freaking mind-reader. Love makes people stupid but Chiwa really needs to screw her head on properly.

Last edited by dtm42 on Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:23 am; edited 1 time in total
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:31 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

Anyway, the upshot is that HaruhiToy and bonbonsrus are being very unfair to Eita. He doesn't deserve to be mocked when it is Chiwa who is sabotaging her own chances of being with him. She had years to confess to Eita but never did. Years of having Eita to herself but wasted all that time. And now, everything she does is completely contrary to her goal. She needs to simply stop lying and actually tell him how she really feels. Because, like most people, he's not a freaking mind-reader. Love makes people stupid but Chiwa really needs to screw her head on properly.

I actually agree with almost everything you said, except the part about Chiwa already considering them an unofficial couple, I wouldn't go so far as to say that. Seriously, I don't think she sent him any good signals before this that we saw anyway, and she was acting irrational there, I don't dispute that.

I agree, if she wanted him to know how she felt, she should have said something more straight up, but in this context, where she says to him, are you ok with this? You aren't upset about me going out with someone else? The way she acted in that moment, as she had her little melt down, it was obvious she liked him to everyone except him somehow. After the things she said, it would be hard for him to have no clue in my opinion. I can't believe after she was like that, he was still without even an inkling. Like I said, if he'd have questioned it and then dismissed it even, it would have felt more believable to me. Either way, I didn't see this coming, I figured it'd be a different couple pairing up, and who knows where this will go I guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9