• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Monthly/Yearly Expenses

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:32 am Reply with quote
Speaking as a teen without a job who just started collecting anime earlier this year, my expenses this year top out at about $130. Hopin' to actually get my ass up and work this year, though, and in turn, be able to buy more stuff.

Last edited by Sanosuke_Inara on Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:39 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Don't be fooled by that $5,500 the first year - that was a dumb noob going nuts and spending way more than he should have.

That may be so, but you proved this year that you obviously learned your lesson. You cut your spending in half, that's impressive and shows growth. Maybe I'm just too short sited, since your plan of leveling out it to an eventaual 2k a year does kind of make sense. Oh no, I'm *gulp* understanding you.('Anime dazed')

@Faytlein
Ah, I see. I thought had inherited a mansion and millions of dollars, thus setting you for life. The reason you work is because you're young and bored and it gives you meaning in life. I suppose I was a little off on that one.

egoist wrote:
Start with Regios because its quality sinks later on. Too much teen angst and almost no sexual thrill.

No, don't say that. That's one of my planned purchases for next year.

classicalzawa wrote:
And I thought $100 a month budget was a bit much, not compared to some of you guys, sheesh!

Well, you're a college student. You need to make sure you're not living on cup-o-noodle soup. I'm sure once you settle down in a few years, your purchasing habits will change, assuming you still have and interest in manga/anime.

Last edited by The King of Harts on Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:42 am Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Speaking as a teen without a job who just started collecting anime earlier this year, my expenses top out about $130. Hopin' to actually get my ass up and work this year, though, and in turn, be able to buy more stuff.

I hope this forum doesn't spur you on to buy more than you can handle, Sanosuke_Inara. I take full responsibility for all of my own actions, but I have to admit this forum in particular has, uh, "inspired" me to buy way more than I would have if I didn't know about its existence. You read about what other folks are buying and it stokes the appetite. Be smarter than me, man!

Cool spreadsheet, TKoH. I'm such a numbnuts I've never learned how to use Excel even though I'm sure it's dead easy. So I'll be keeping track of my stuff in a Word doc even though it doesn't have that awesome automatic tallying function. I don't bother keeping track of MSRP because to me it's such a phony number that it doesn't truly represent "savings." DVDAF keeps track of the number of discs for me (although I suspect it is not totally accurate, but I don't have the energy to verify) so I don't worry about that, either.

I do want to keep track of what retailer I buy from, when I place an order, when the order ships and when it arrives.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Cool spreadsheet, TKoH. I'm such a numbnuts I've never learned how to use Excel even though I'm sure it's dead easy. So I'll be keeping track of my stuff in a Word doc even though it doesn't have that awesome automatic tallying function.

I made it so you don't have to do any work. Just play around with it and you'll see that the T Column updates at real time. The only thing you have to do is the same you would for the Word document, put in the numbers. Go ahead, play around with it and just put in random numbers wherever you want, it'll change accordingly. It doesn't match everything you want, but, if you want, I can make another for you. I promise to keep it simple, numbnuts.

I just reuploaded a new file since I made an error on the earlier one, but it's right now.

And I have disc count since DVDAF doesn't tell me how many I bought in a year, and that's what I want to follow.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I hope this forum doesn't spur you on to buy more than you can handle, Sanosuke_Inara. I take full responsibility for all of my own actions, but I have to admit this forum in particular has, uh, "inspired" me to buy way more than I would have if I didn't know about its existence. You read about what other folks are buying and it stokes the appetite.
One of my friends keeps saying that I'm gonna shoot straight downhill because I got a credit card last month, but she's been wrong so far. Cool

Funny thing is that I've been trying not to acknowledge that I've been wanting to get more stuff the more that I see others buy, but I guess I failed on that one. Thankfully, though, my unsteady income results in less money, which causes me to be a lot more careful with my anime purchases than I thought I'd be because I don't wanna end up straight broke. As it stands, I only buy stuff that I'm seriously interested in--just hope I can keep that up when I start bringing in more $. My only real disappointment in myself is that if I had the money for it, I know damn well that I wouldn't be able to resist buying Kara no Kyoukai.

Thanks for lookin' out.

Blood- wrote:
Be smarter than me, man!
I'll try. No promises, though. Laughing
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Not counting those items that are pre-ordered or are backordered (I want to count them when I actually get charged) my total...unless I'm forgetting something...is $599.16. And I'm probably not done yet because I have a $10 gift card and $10 reward certificate for Best Buy that I need to use before the end of the year. I'd say my spending on anime is pretty high compared to other college students, but I don't have a game console so I'm not buying any new games, I don't go out much, I don't have a car, and I never spent much money in high school until I started collecting anime my senior year, so I've got some money to throw around. That said, I think I need to severely curb my spending. I've done a lot of buying of shows I had partially seen but hadn't finished, and the price was so low I thought "what the heck?" Some of those purchases turned out to be good...others not so much. I'm going to focus on a core group of things next year, and hopefully keep my spending between $300-400.

Oh and thanks for the spreadsheet KoH.
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:21 pm Reply with quote
For me, I don't really HAVE a budget... It's currently tough right now :/
Between having the lowest paying job I've ever had (but needed SOMETHING), wanting to go back to college at some point next year, trying to clear my Visa each time I use it, and trying to save up for a house/condo/something, it's very hard for me to spend money period, especially since I get paid peanuts^^ I really need a new job...

Rather than having a budget, I try and restrain myself (if I can...) and ONLY buy if it consists of a sale, or a collector's edition (and since I collect games along with anime/manga, it gets tougher there...)

It's getting easier, at least with anime. Not too too many more anime series I'm wanting to collect. Some are OOP so I'm just waiting for a decent price to grab them at.

Between what I make and what I spend, I'd rather not look at how much I've spent this year on anime/manga/games^^
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:24 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Well, you're a college student. You need to make sure you're not living on cup-o-noodle soup. I'm sure once you settle down in a few years, your purchasing habits will change, assuming you still have and interest in manga/anime.

As a student, I was spending roughly £10 per week on food and drink. An amount such as that is tiny, considering the general living expenses incurred within the area I was residing.

Such thrift, along with the avoidance of any extra-curricular social activities — i.e. expensive drinking sessions — allowed me to spend roughly £240 on anime per annum. Such a rate remains constant to this day, though one strives to be sufficiently frugal to afford the attainment of one's future goals.

Fortunately, I tend not to take interest in the majority of new releases.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:50 pm Reply with quote
Uh KOH there's a problem with your spreadsheet. None of the totals are making any sense. After manually calculating how much I spent, it's $777.09, and the grand total MSRP is way off too. Your cells aren't adding up properly.

So basically I spent $180 more than I initially thought. Oh boy. Anime dazed
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Alright, I think I fixed it. If you don't mind, could you try again and see what happens?
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:43 pm Reply with quote
MSRP total is still missing June, August, and September. Everything else seems right.

Actually all grand totals aren't working now, not sure why really. Maybe a problem with using different versions of excel?

Seems to be a problem with adding cells from different months.
Nosferatu21

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
Well I haven't been able to afford to spend too much on anime or manga. I definitely qualify as a poor college student. After totaling up all my purchases since I started buying in late 2008, I have spent a grand total of $507 with shipping.

As far as budget goes, I don't have one. All money I make is immediately set aside for living expenses. The money left over goes to going out money(essentially drinking money), and then anything left over from that is saved up until I see something I want to buy at a good price.

Being broke obviously effects what I buy. I never blind buy under any circumstances. Can't afford to not like a series I bought. I recently bought Soul Eater during TRSI's 12 days of Christmas sale and it set my budget back quite a bit despite each part of the series being over 50% off. My next purchase will be Toradora! but most likely at least 2-3 months down the road. I'll probably buy myself a few things if I get a good tax refund but not until after I pay off my credit card.
Darksorrow29

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:09 am Reply with quote
I really started collecting dvds at the beginning of the year. My budget was $100 per month but I've boosted it to $150 now after a promotion. Just guestimating it i'd say I've spent about $1200 on dvds this year and close to $300 on figures after you include the tax and shipping.

I keep my monthly budget pretty well in check but I will VERY commonly spend my month's budget ahead of time. For example in November I spent my $150 budget... but then Bandai had a sale so I spent my $150 for December before December even started haha. I do that all the time.

I have a feeling my budget for dvds is going to go down though. Seems like I am starting to own almost everything I want to own that is out right now.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:57 pm Reply with quote
On anime DvD's/Blu-ray's/manga I would say it probably comes out between $600-800 a year on average. This year I could not say as I was in Japan for 2 weeks so that was like $800 of stuff right there (though that would be all figures and artbooks etc...). I purged a lot of DVD's and manga I had though this year as well so I think my collection stayed relatively the same size.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:34 pm Reply with quote
OK, I think I got it this time. This template is basic "Item, price, and total". I don't know what happen last time, it was some kind of error with the functions for each cell and random ones would change when you entered or deleted information from another cell. BUT, it shouldn't happen now.

http://www.box.net/shared/ts7otmk88q
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 72