• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - A Very Anime Christmas

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tsunami3k

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Oh, very thorough. The only one missing I noticed offhand is Futari wa Pretty Cure episode 44 (link to Crunchyroll's legit stream).

Also, the Bottle Fairy "December" episode, though that one doesn't really count as it spoiler[only starts off as a Christmas episode until the fairies realize they're almost a week too late and it's New Year's Eve].

Ahh a very good find. I've added your Pretty Cure episode to the list. As for Bottle Fairy, it's on my list because it fits the original criteria defined when I started compiling the list years ago so I make no guarantees that it will perfectly match the one(s) implied by Mr. Toole's article.

If you're curious, the original idea was that any Christmas themed episode would make the list so that all of the ancillary episodes that fall on Christmas eve or that center Christmas shopping, decorating a Christmas tree, etc. would be included as well. Pretty much any overt reference to Christmas and an acknowledgment of it as a holiday are enough to qualify. As such a "Christmas in July" theme would qualify whereas a mere Santa cameo at the beach would not.
kailegh

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I... really want to see a out-right Kuroshitsuji Christmas special now o_o
I mean, the show has Christmasy scenes & things but a "Very Black Butler Christmas" sounds like awesomeness that could involve a Scrooge Ciel &/or Reindeer Sebastian :'D
sonickid101

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Great list, I should start watching Tokyo Godfathers around Christmas time now, right between Pinky and the Brain Christmas and Die hard
I especially liked your bit at the end that Christmas should be for everyone, I always believed that. I think if you make Christmas to religious it kind of ruins it, I meen I doubt the Passion is something people watch around Christmas time.
tetrisdork

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz. Both the three-episode OVA and the movie re-telling take place on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day as the Gundams try to stop another war/uprising from taking place. Heck, I watch it every Christmas and use the same excuse people watch Die Hard on Christmas: it takes place on Christmas.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Naisho no Tsubomi ep 3 has them attend a Christmas party. Thats a pretty awesome episode/show. Explores a young girl going through puberty, and the changes her body is making. All about her discovering boys and learning where babies come from and junk. Good stuff.

sonickid101 wrote:
Great list, I should start watching Tokyo Godfathers around Christmas time now, right between Pinky and the Brain Christmas and Die hard
I especially liked your bit at the end that Christmas should be for everyone, I always believed that. I think if you make Christmas to religious it kind of ruins it, I mean I doubt the Passion is something people watch around Christmas time.

The Passion is for Easter time
aizensama666

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote
Didn't Karas take place at Christmas time? I think they sold fruit cakes or something in one scene.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:02 pm Reply with quote
So glad you mentioned that Big O episode - I loved that show.

I'm pretty sure the puppet arc of Black Butler (midway through the first season) included Christmas in some way... Oh, and Toradora's Christmas episode(s) were great.
rabrek

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:34 pm Reply with quote
aizensama666 wrote:
Didn't Karas take place at Christmas time? I think they sold fruit cakes or something in one scene.

Yes! I pulled it out and double-checked right before seeing your post. We cut away from the duel to the sweet young thing wearing a Santa-ish suit and selling cakes. I need to pick something to watch New Year's Eve, and I think Karas might be it.

Tokyo Godfathers has been within arm's reach for a week. Have to carve out some time to re-watch it before the holiday.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Furudanuki wrote:
The extra episode "Beautiful Snow" from Ai Yori Aoshi ~Enishi~ deserves a mention. Very sweet little story that takes place shortly before the beginning of the first season, and features an Aoi look-alike as Santa.

For me this is also the biggest omission, as it's arguably one of the best (if not the best) episodes of the entire franchise.

And I also agree with other posters that Toradora's Christmas arc is also deserving of special mention, especially for the Christmas-themed song that two of the main characters sing at the school Christmas party.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
E-Master

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad the Ranma XMas OVA is listed. Which was the one I wanted to show at my Club recently exspect they didn't allow club activity during the final week of college semester. Which really ruined the Xmas finale I planned out.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:50 pm Reply with quote
No, no, no, it's not an Anime Christmas without The Little Match Girl and K.F.C. Laughing
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:43 pm Reply with quote
sonickid101 wrote:
I especially liked your bit at the end that Christmas should be for everyone, I always believed that. I think if you make Christmas to religious it kind of ruins it, I mean I doubt the Passion is something people watch around Christmas time.

I was thinking more like Grelle in a slinky Santa outfit (he likes the color red) out for a little holiday evisceration.
Kiyoko

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
I always watch Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz during the holidays. It's got a very slight Christmasy theme to it. Anime hyper

Tenchi wrote:
Oh, for the record, I far, far prefer Paul McCartney's "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime" to John Lennon's depressing dirge "Happy Christmas (War is Over)", which always makes me change the channel when it's used in charity commercials.

And I'd prefer to listen to both of them if it means to never have to listen to "Dominick the Italian Christmas Donkey" ever again. X___x
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
spartydragon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:38 am Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:

Edit: Wait, Gintama featured Santa at one point, didn't it? I'm having trouble remembering, I assume it took place during or around Christmas.

There's three and a half, actually. Each more bizarre than the last. Razz
larinon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:20 am Reply with quote
Do not forget episode 5 of Majokko Tsukune-chan, featuring Santa blown up by a grenade, sniped, and turned into mecha Santa, combining with robotic reindeer, and ultimately destroyed by an accidental activation of its self-destruct button.

Also some people mentioned Gintama. One Christmas episode was 37, the A part, with the B part being a New Years story.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5