• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - A Very Anime Christmas

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:35 am Reply with quote
Hee, I'm glad to see the Big O episode make this list. As much as I dearly love the series, I still have no idea what the hell the staff was on when they came up with that concept. Razz I'll second the praise for the ROD episode, though...the show is fantastic, and that particular episode is key to understanding the sisters' relationship.

Also...why the hell haven't I watched my copy of Tokyo Godfathers yet?!
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:32 am Reply with quote
No mention of that Big O Christmas episode would be complete without a link to this video, featuring Weird Al's "Christmas at Ground Zero." A song that is no doubt older than many of the users around here Embarassed

@Tsunami3k -- great list, and here's a few more:

I suspect that all of the Pretty Cure series have a Christmas episode in the early/mid 40s, since the February start dates make the airdates of those episodes fall close to Christmas. These are the others that I know of:

Pretty Cure Max Heart #42 - "Lovers on Ice? Skate, Fall, Big Trouble!"
~Nagisa attempts to give Honoka's older friend Fujimura a present, with the requisite interruptions by the Dark Zone and Zakenna.
Pretty Cure Splash Star #45 - "Cake, Kazuya, and Christmas!"
~Saki attempts to give Mai's older brother Kazuya a present, but angsts over the possibility that he already has a girlfriend. Dark Fall minions Kintolesky and Ms. Shitataare show up in Santa outfits.
Yes! Pretty Cure 5 #45 - "Nozomi and Coco's Christmas Vows"
~After a fight with one of Nightmare's top minions, heroine Nozomi and mascot character / attractive male teacher Coco try to deal with their "inevitable" separation *cough*sequel*cough* upon the restoration of the Palmier Kingdom.

Others:
Touka Gettan #09 - "Snow"
~Actually pays lip service to the religious nature of Christmas. But the main focus is on a ridiculously ostentatious party / couples event. Mayhem ensues. Also features Yumiko Kamiazuma in a very nice Santa costume.
Strawberry 100% TV #07b - "A Christmas Alone"
~Pretty standard harem romcom Christmas episode, honestly.
Baka & Test - Summon the Beasts - has a Christmas-themed mini-episode.
Kimi ni Todoke #22 - "Christmas"
My Wife is a High School Girl #13 - "Marriage Revealed / Always Love You Forever"
~Closes out the series with a Christmas present exchange between the must-keep-hidden teacher-student couple.
To Heart ~Remember my Memories~ #10 - "Long Night"
~Party at crazy foreign blonde girl Lemmy's big fancy house, with love confessions to follow.
Mike Toole
Subscriber
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:39 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
I'm doing an "Anime Christmas Episode "Advent Calendar"" in my Twitter feed

We need to print up anime advent calendars with those little windows with chocolates inside. You know what I'm saying? I used to get those every year from my grandma. I hope Jesus isn't mad that I ate all of the chocolates immediately instead of waiting to eat them a day at a time...

Quote:
EDIT: Oh, for the record, I far, far prefer Paul McCartney's "Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime" to John Lennon's depressing dirge "Happy Christmas (War is Over)", which always makes me change the channel when it's used in charity commercials.

Yeah, that's pretty bad. IMO neither one compares to the Beatles' "Christmas Time," which itself isn't as good as "Christmas (Baby please Come Home)" by Darlene Love or "Merry Christmas (I don't want to fight tonight)" by the Ramones or "Christmas Wrapping" by the Waitresses or "Christmas in Hollis" by Run DMC. Man, I like Christmas tunes!

eva88 wrote:
Forgot Rahxephon!

penguintruth wrote:
Ah, somebody's forgetting Gundam 0080's Christmas episode.

bemused Bohemian wrote:
List also left out School Days.

No guys, I omitted these deliberately. There are twelve days of Christmas, not seventeen or eighteen. I wish I'd had room to at least mention the Toradora Christmas arc, but I haven't had time to re-watch it and it slipped my mind! That said, I do appreciate the suggestions, particularly Tsunami3k's incredibly exhaustive list. It's going to be difficult to resist using it as a cheat sheet for some sort of Christmas column next year.

Pandadice wrote:
I'm disappointed Mike. Whats up with all the mainstream shows? Azumanga, CCS, ROD, Love Hina etc?

What in the world are you talking about? With very few exceptions, anime is mass-market entertainment that is meant to appeal to millions of people around the world - only a handful of mostly-independent featurettes and OVAs are really "indie" - stuff like Animation Runner Kuromi and Tamala 2010.

Quote:
Now, you should've mentioned ep 12 of Superbook, "The First Christmas." I know it was a classic Christmas cartoon in my house growing up.

Look, the fact is that we're still dealing with the schism caused by the wildly divergent versions of the navitity portrayed in Superbook and The Flying House. If you compare the two, they don't even appear to be taking place in the same towns! Why does Jesus look different in each version? And if both are accurate retellings of the story told from diffrent points of view, as some speculate, then why don't both sets of weird 20th century children and their pet robots appear in each other's version?

I think it's some kind of conspiracy, is what I think. The truth is in the Christmas episode of In the Beginning.

Charred Knight wrote:
Yes, he did survive, but the fact of the matter is that I never really got the idea that everything is going to turn out okay.

If you stretch the timeline out enough, NOTHING is going to turn out okay. Remember how George Bailey meets up with his family at the end of It's a Wonderful Life and everything is nice and happy? Yeah, well, George Bailey is DEAD, and so is his entire family, except maybe for his little kids, who are now old, decrepit, and probably abandoned in some old folks' home.

...Merry Christmas! :D

kailegh wrote:
I... really want to see a out-right Kuroshitsuji Christmas special now o_o
I mean, the show has Christmasy scenes & things but a "Very Black Butler Christmas" sounds like awesomeness that could involve a Scrooge Ciel &/or Reindeer Sebastian :'D

Yeah, see, this is what I'm talking about. We need to make something like this happen. Think of the possibilities!

Ciel: Er, hello... you're the new butler?
Sebastian: Heh heh... well, it's been a long time since I've been the new anything!
Ciel: What's happened to Tanaka?
Sebastian: I guess he's changing.
Ciel: Yeah, he does that a lot, doesn't he? Oh, I'm Ciel Phantomhive, I live down the road.
Seastian: Oh!
Ciel: You're not that poor relative of Sir Percival from down in Hades, right?
Sebastian: Haha, gee! News sure travels fast, doesn't it? I'm Sebastian.
Ciel: Oh I'm pleased to meet you! You're the one that sings, right?
Sebastian: Well, right or wrong-- I sing, either way.
Ciel: Oh well, I sing too. Mostly the contemporary stuff. Do you, ehm... do you like modern music?
Sebastian: Oh, I think it's marvelous! Some of it is really fine. But tell me, have you ever listened to any of the older fellas?
Ciel: Oh yeah, sure! I like ah... John Lennon, and the other one with, er... Harry Nilsson.
Sebastian: Wow! You go back that far, huh?
Ciel: Yeah, Im not as young as I look. I actually manage a toy company, so I get very excited this time of year - presents, tree, decorations, demons sliding down the chimney...
Sebastian: What?!
Ciel: Oh, I was just seeing if you were paying attention.
Sebstian: Ha ha ha!
Ciel: Actually, my household does the same things that most families do at Christmas. We sing the same songs, I even have a go at White Christmas. And this one, this is my favorite. Do you know it?
Sebastian: Oh, I do indeed! It's a lovely theme.

(they sing "Little Drummer Boy")

enurtsol wrote:
No, no, no, it's not an Anime Christmas without The Little Match Girl and K.F.C. :lol:

Haha, this is great! Adding this to the playlist, right underneath the Space Ghost Christmas Special.

Kiyoko wrote:
And I'd prefer to listen to both of them if it means to never have to listen to "Dominick the Italian Christmas Donkey" ever again. X___x

Listen, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with this song, okay?! :evil: Maybe it's not as good as "Jingle Dogs" but really, what is?! I mean, besides "Jingle Cats" obviously.

Wow, PreCure has a lot of Christmas episodes. Were any of those dubbed, I wonder?

Thanks for all of the feedback, gang. What's your favorite Christmas special? Mine is legitimately the Space Ghost One - I think the off-kilter versions of Christmas tunes are hilarious, especially the big finale of "We Wish you a Christmas New Year". Plus, it's all over in about nine minutes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:

Ciel: Actually, my household does the same things that most families do at Christmas. We sing the same songs, I even have a go at White Christmas. And this one, this is my favorite. Do you know it?

(they sing "Little Drummer Boy")

I pray some AMV maker out there has just been inspired.

Mike Toole wrote:
Thanks for all of the feedback, gang. What's your favorite Christmas special?

That's easy- Will Vinton's Claymation Christmas. Probably the only special from my childhood I've come to like more as an adult, and the only one I make it a point to watch every year. (And now I want waffles...)
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:25 pm Reply with quote
larinon wrote:
Do not forget episode 5 of Majokko Tsukune-chan, featuring Santa spoiler[blown up by a grenade, sniped, and turned into mecha Santa, combining with robotic reindeer, and ultimately destroyed by an accidental activation of its self-destruct button.]

I first came across this last Christmas. One struggles to recall quite such a rapturously hilarious sequence of gags. The series' modest budget worked to its favour, seemingly enhancing the simplistic appeal of its slapstick barrage.

As for the Macross Christmas episode, one was taken aback by the carol scene. To provide contrast with all the theatrics of the series' main arc, it was pleasing, and dare I say somewhat wholesome, to see such a tender moment being shared.

penguintruth wrote:
Ah, somebody's forgetting Gundam 0080's Christmas episode.

I do enjoy hamburgers, and shall take no exception to eating them during the holiday season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:

Thanks for all of the feedback, gang. What's your favorite Christmas special? Mine is legitimately the Space Ghost One - I think the off-kilter versions of Christmas tunes are hilarious, especially the big finale of "We Wish you a Christmas New Year". Plus, it's all over in about nine minutes.

"How the Grinch Stole Christmas", arguably even better than Chuck Jones other masterpiece "What's Opera Doc?". Never a dull moment, with impressive voice work by Boris Karloff, June Foray, and Thurl Ravencroft singing You're a mean one Mr. Grinch.
Hotaruzuki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:13 pm Reply with quote
I can think of other Christmas episodes I liked but these were defiantly among my favorite.

So thank you for a pleasant diversion from school work Smile
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
That's easy- Will Vinton's Claymation Christmas. Probably the only special from my childhood I've come to like more as an adult, and the only one I make it a point to watch every year. (And now I want waffles...)

I loved that one when I watched it on TV when it first aired. Singing raisins are awesome.

I've still got the Bloom County 'A Wish for Wings That Worked' special on laserdisc. ^_^

Hmm... Both of them are on DVD. I might have to place an order...
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Ingraman wrote:
DuelLadyS wrote:

I loved that one when I watched it on TV when it first aired.

Yeah, me to. I've been meaning to look that one up and always forget during the Christmas season. I still remember the waffle song after all these years, thanks for the link, DuelLadyS!

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:04 pm Reply with quote
The funniest part of the Azumanga Daioh's Christmas discussion was Tomo's insistance that all reindeer are mythical creatures--like unicorns! Very Happy

Gintama has a few Santa-related episodes, and the last few episodes of the series before it went on hiatus were a series of vignettes parodying various "classic Christmas tales", including The Little Match Girl, IIRC (these eps are all free & legally available on ANN & Crunchyroll, if anyone wants to check 'em out!)

A Black Butler Christmas Special sounds awesome! If the Phatomhive family serve Her Majesty, The Queen, then they technically act as agents for the Anglican Church as well. I imagine it would have a lot of demon butt kicking goodness! Wink

Quote:
Remember, Japan isn't a Christian country. The religious aspect of Christmas isn't paid much notice, the state doesn't treat it as an official holiday. It was just adopted as a great excuse to party and be with your family and friends. To me, that's a great way of looking at it - Christmas doesn't need to be a solemn, spiritual affair - it's for everyone!

Personally, I think Rosh HaShana could be celebrated by everyone since it commemorates the Birthday of the World (and therefore, the New Year, according to Judaism), and the world's birthday could be celebrated by everyone who lives on it. I suppose the solemn nature and lack of gift giving might put people off, but if you've never had an apple dipped in honey, it's really delicious! Razz

Anyway, Happy Holidays, everyone! I'm looking foward to December 26th Holiday themed Chocolate Discount Day, myself! Very Happy
Crisha

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:

(they sing "Little Drummer Boy / Peace on Earth")

****, my mind has been blown. Crosby and Bowie as Sebastian and Ciel.

That is not going to leave me ever. Everytime I hear that duet, I'm going to be reminded of you, Mike Toole, spouting such blasphemy. Laughing I can't decide if that's a good or bad thing.

AGH, the visuals!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:15 pm Reply with quote
It's funny when I saw that Big-O shot the first thought that came through my mind was a 'Batman the Animated series' episode. It's funny I can't think of many anime shows that have happy fun xmas episodes except for the ones mentioned.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Hey Mike, nice one about Christmas in anime, and thanks for mentioning Love Hina Christmas special and Ittsudate My Santa!. Mike, I like to bring up something if you (or not) are aware of, Rankin-Bass Cartoon, especially the Christmas one like Frosty the Snowman, Rudolph, and other stop-motion cartoon you might have seen on ABC Family or CBS every christmas. Did you know Rankin Bass Christmas special had help from Japan?

Mike, are you familiar with Tadahito Mochinaga? He was the man that did most of the stop-motion animation for most or all of Rankin-Bass cartoon. Also Topcraft who worked on Rankin-Bass cartoon would later join Studio Ghibli and work with Hayao Miyazaki. Did you know the 1969 Rankin Bass cartoon, Frosty the Snowman had animation done by Mushi Production. Osamu Dezakiwas involved with Frosty the Snowman for Rankin-Bass. Also I did some additional research and found out that another Rankin-Bass Christmas cartoon has been called into questioning if it should be labeled as anime, The Stingiest Man in Town (Rankin Bass adaptation of A Christmas Carol). It was known in Japan as Machi Ichiban Kechinbo. This cartoon (or anime) has been broadcasted in Japan in 1978 the same year it was made and at the same time it was broadcast in US, a lot of sources had said it's been classified as anime because it came out first or at the same time as US broadcast date. One more thing, Stingiest Man in Town was directed by Katsuhisa Yamada of Devil Hunter Yohko, and Gatchaman fame.

This was the reason why many anime fans and cartoon fans has been debating if most of Rankin-Bass cartoon should be reclassify as anime, I know Thundercats has been called into question if it should be anime or not. However, I know Toonzone has reclassified The Last Unicorn as anime. Because of the animation was outsourced to Japan by Topcraft and it carried a anime distinction and looks for the Last Unicorn.
The American Average

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:58 pm Reply with quote
azumanga was the best christmas special ever

spoiler[rod a great series, it had it all, I hope aniplex makes a new rod series]
zrdb

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:29 pm Reply with quote
What about Chocotto Sister? Almost the whole series reeks of Christmas.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5