• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Otaku Holy Grails.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:23 am Reply with quote
Was there ever something Anime, manga, or anything Japanese related that you searched the ends of the earth for, but couldn't find? Whether it'd be an actual series or a piece of merchandise, it doesn't matter. What are your Holy Grails?

The Harmony Gold Dubs of Dragon Ball and Dr. Slump- I remember finding the first episode of Dr. Slump dubbed by HG way back in 2006, but could never find it again. Then there's the legendary dub of Dragon Ball. The most anyone has found was either the opening scene or sound clips.

Come to think of it, Dr. Slump subtitled for that matter is another grail.

The Phulz dub of Crayon Shin-chan- The dub that I believe only aired in the UK, and it had Kath Soucie as Shin. I remember finding one episode on Youtube back in 2007, and like "Dr. Slump," never found it again.

The Original Speed Racer subtitled- I guess it mainly has to do with the fact that Mach Go Go Go wasn't popular in Japan in comparison to it's American counterpart.

Himitsu Sentai Go-Ranger subbed- Not necessarily anime, but close. I did find the first episode on Youtube, but it wasn't subtitled. I was curious as to how Power Rangers all started, but I couldn't find that many Sentai series subbed, but the one I wanted to watch was the first.

The Gundam Movie Trilogy- A minor one, but I can't seem to find it anywhere on the internet, and both Netflix and Blockbuster were useless. They had it on Crunchyroll, but then they took it down.

Hokuto no Ken Pilot Manga- It must exist somewhere, considering the descriptions I've heard.

Dragon Boy- The prototype for Dragon Ball, which like HNK, must exist because I saw a few translated pics. Maybe I'm just going to the wrong manga sites.

Bandai Yu-Gi-Oh! cards- Back when Season 0 was airing, Bandai made the cards for a short while. When the show was revived, Konami has been doing them ever since. They seem like really cool things to own if you're a die-hard Yu-Gi-Oh! fan. There were several cards I would have loved to own, but that would take forever to list.

The banned Pokemon episodes- Team Rocket using guns, James making us question his heterosexuality even more, Ash getting his Tauros, and let's not forget Polygon. The most I was able to find were clips.

The Guyver Manga- The Viz translations are out of print, and every manga site I've checked were missing several chapters. Being a long-runner, I guess that should be anticipated.

The Korean Dragon Ball Movie subbed- The full movie is on Youtube, but much to my knowledge, there aren't any subtitles that I know for it.

Last edited by Animeking1108 on Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:35 am Reply with quote
A copy of the Project A-Ko movie with the voice cast that includes Cathy Weseluck as C-Ko. Not the sequels the first movie. I have a feeling that pretty much any VHS copy that I can find will likely be the correct voice cast, but I'd hate to waste my money if it isn't. The encyclopedia indicates this doesn't exist, but I think that's because DVD title has priority over conflicting VHS title information.

Last edited by P€|\||§_|\/|ast@ on Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:36 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
The Gundam Movie Trilogy- A minor one, but I can't seem to find it anywhere on the internet, and both Netflix and Blockbuster were useless. They had it on Crunchyroll, but then they took it down.

I picked all three up at Anime North one year.

Anyways, I don't really have any 'holy grails' for actual anime, however there are plenty of doujinshi that I've never found scans for.
EricJ

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:06 am Reply with quote
Speaking as one who owns a copy of the finale boxset of Viz's Maison ikkoku... Very Happy

There's an AMV I've been searching for, since it was from the prototypal VHS days that predated AMV's on the Internet:
From about '91-'92, it was the opening-ceremony film to one of the early US otaku conventions (Norwescon, maybe?) that showed the greatest-iconic-moments History of Anime in Eleven Minutes, set to Dvorak's New World Symphony. (Beginning with Gundam and Patlabor, and ending with the blastoff from Wings of Honneamise.) If there was ever an anime equivalent of TCM's "100 Years of Movies" short, this was it.

It may not be everybody's holy grail, but I've been searching for it for twenty years, ever since I lost my old VHS tape in a move--
It's as definitive a fan statement as the Daicon IV video ever was--lbut seems like most pre-Internet fan history has been lost to the ether. If anyone knows either the con or the video in question, let me know if there was ever a second person who saw this?
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:54 am Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
Speaking as one who owns a copy of the finale boxset of Viz's Maison ikkoku... Very Happy

There's an AMV I've been searching for, since it was from the prototypal VHS days that predated AMV's on the Internet:
From about '91-'92, it was the opening-ceremony film to one of the early US otaku conventions (Norwescon, maybe?) that showed the greatest-iconic-moments History of Anime in Eleven Minutes, set to Dvorak's New World Symphony. (Beginning with Gundam and Patlabor, and ending with the blastoff from Wings of Honneamise.) If there was ever an anime equivalent of TCM's "100 Years of Movies" short, this was it.
Oh thank you so much, I cannot begin to show you how much this means to me. I have been trying to figure out which piece was used in that AMV ever since I saw it back in '94. They played it at Animeast in NJ. It's not the AMV I'm searching for, it's simply the music that was used. Also that might very well be one first AMV's ever made. Thanks again, you are the best Smile

If you can track down anyone who was staff at Animeast (I have a list of their names), they'd probably be able to uncover a copy for you.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:26 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
The banned Pokemon episodes- Team Rocket using guns, James making us question his heterosexuality even more, Ash getting his Tauros, and let's not forget Polygon. The most I was able to find were clips.

Go to [posting illegal fansub sites is not allowed] -- the episode, in Japanese obviously but WITH subs, was just posted today for viewing actually. Smile This is the episode that features the original premieres of Dratini and Dragonair in the anime as well as showing us where in the heck Satoshi got all of his Tauros.

EDIT: For all it may count for, my apologies on that...

Last edited by Tenbyakugon on Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:45 am Reply with quote
Escaflowne's lost scenes- Several of the earlier episodes to the TV series contained additional animated content that had to be cut for time in the title's original TV airing in Japan which was later restored in video releases. Notable moments include Allen teasing a flustered Hitomi, Hitomi receiving a bath from Millerna's servants and an extended dream sequence with Hitomi. Bandai Entertainment only acquired rights to the TV version of the anime, so you don't get to see the extra content here in the states. The only mention of the lost scenes I've come across online was from a fan site that offers great detail on said scenes, along with pictures. I can't seem to find a site, legal or not-so-legal, that has the lost scenes included in its video.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Tenbyakugon wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

Go to [posting illegal fansub sites is not allowed] -- the episode, in Japanese obviously but WITH subs, was just posted today for viewing actually. Smile This is the episode that features the original premieres of Dratini and Dragonair in the anime as well as showing us where in the heck Satoshi got all of his Tauros.

Well, that's convenient.

There were a few more things I forgot:

Shonen Jump Issues- For WSJ, the issues where the classics such as Dragon Ball, Fist of the North Star, One Piece, and Naruto made their debut. Kinda like a Japanese 'Amazing Fantasy 15' or 'Detective Comics 27.' For the American one, Volume 1, Issue 1 in mint condition.

The Rockman X manga- The first three volumes were released on a fansite, but nothing for the rest of the series.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Moonlight Mile's Second Season-When this aired no subbing groups at all picked it up, and it was never licensed either. There were nothing but raws to tempt me, which was really frustrating. Then like years later when I'd almost forgotten about it, it finally ended up being subbed completely by someone.
EricJ

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
EricJ wrote:
that showed the greatest-iconic-moments History of Anime in Eleven Minutes, set to Dvorak's New World Symphony. (Beginning with Gundam and Patlabor, and ending with the blastoff from Wings of Honneamise.) If there was ever an anime equivalent of TCM's "100 Years of Movies" short, this was it.
Oh thank you so much, I cannot begin to show you how much this means to me. I have been trying to figure out which piece was used in that AMV ever since I saw it back in '94.

Fourth Movement, btw.
(It's literally become one of those Fantasia moments for me, where you can't hear the music anywhere else without remembering the specific scenes to each part.)

Quote:
They played it at Animeast in NJ. It's not the AMV I'm searching for, it's simply the music that was used. Also that might very well be one first AMV's ever made.
If you can track down anyone who was staff at Animeast (I have a list of their names), they'd probably be able to uncover a copy for you.

AnimeEast?...(thump!) Of course! That does sound familiar.
I'd seen it on a tape of Norwescon AMV's (including one hilarious one synching A-ko vs. B-ko to a Popeye cartoon), so I assumed it was the better known con at the time.
If you know of a website, that'll save a bit of looking.

(The usual YouTube search of "Dvorak New World" and "Anime" brings up a crapload of One Piece AMV's...Ain't what we're talking 'bout, junior, this was before your time! Cool )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1