Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Loveplus Virtual Girlfriend in Halls Cough Drops Ad


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Zin5ki



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 3481
Location: London, UK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The manufacturer, Cadbury Japan, thought it was necessary to write in fine print in the video, "This is fictional."

One was not previously aware that Cadbury had a Japanese subsidiary. On a jocular whim, it could be questioned whether the notion of virtual girlfriends befits the values under which the company was founded. (Not that this matter is at all relevant to their post-Kraft state of being, of course.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738



Joined: 24 Sep 2007
Posts: 2275
Location: wisconsin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Wow much different then US Hall ads but its much more awesome
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chefneer
Aria CompanyAria Company


Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Posts: 1214
Location: Back in Forth Worth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
I still don't get the whole 'Virtual Girlfriend' business. Sure, she's cute, but what's wrong with real girls? They are a lot softer and warmer than a computer monitor and keyboard.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
einhorn303



Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Posts: 1137

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Oh man, I've been sucking Halls cough drops this whole week. Awesome.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 4153
Location: Maryland, USA

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 7:22 pm Reply with quote
chefneer wrote:
I still don't get the whole 'Virtual Girlfriend' business. Sure, she's cute, but what's wrong with real girls? They are a lot softer and warmer than a computer monitor and keyboard.


That's what people on Kotaku has been talking about whenever Love Plus pops up. Yeah I don't understand it too, it's not like these girls are going to cook food, get all "Snuggy wuggy", or take care of children for you. Some people speculate that "virtual girlfriend" are probably the reason why Japan's birthrate are declining.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
einhorn303



Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Posts: 1137

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:51 pm Reply with quote
chefneer wrote:
I still don't get the whole 'Virtual Girlfriend' business. Sure, she's cute, but what's wrong with real girls? They are a lot softer and warmer than a computer monitor and keyboard.


Real girls have a heck of a lot of problems that 2D girls lack.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Top Gun



Joined: 28 Sep 2007
Posts: 1834

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
chefneer wrote:
I still don't get the whole 'Virtual Girlfriend' business. Sure, she's cute, but what's wrong with real girls? They are a lot softer and warmer than a computer monitor and keyboard.


Real girls have a heck of a lot of problems that 2D girls lack.

Like existing, for instance? Razz

(Halls: For the creepy otaku with a head cold!)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Basroil



Joined: 29 Oct 2003
Posts: 53
Location: North Carolina

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Anyone know who does Nene's voice?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Jedi General



Joined: 27 Nov 2006
Posts: 2485
Location: Tucson, AZ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Basroil wrote:
Anyone know who does Nene's voice?

Yūko Minaguchi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61



Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 3199
Location: NE Ohio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:
Real girls have a heck of a lot of problems that 2D girls lack.
Like existing, for instance? Razz
(Halls: For the creepy otaku with a head cold!)
Also they rarely present you with a menu of four actions to take, and when they do, the correct action is always something that is not on the menu. Plus no Groundhogs Day save and restore function to keep trying until you get it right.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
configspace



Joined: 16 Aug 2008
Posts: 2842

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:27 pm Reply with quote
The CM is just pure win.

mdo7 wrote:

That's what people on Kotaku has been talking about whenever Love Plus pops up. Yeah I don't understand it too, it's not like these girls are going to cook food, get all "Snuggy wuggy", or take care of children for you. Some people speculate that "virtual girlfriend" are probably the reason why Japan's birthrate are declining.

not really sure why Kotaku matters... you'd get a totally different opinion from say... Sankaku. Anyways, it's just an idealization. A projection, a sort of vicarious interaction. As far as Japan's bithrate goes, that keeps on being brought up as somehow "the" example which is ironic considering several European countries actually have lower birth rates and/or greater decline rates than Japan, and several other EU countries are comparable to or trending like Japan. So it's not like they're all playing Loveplus... Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
chefneer
Aria CompanyAria Company


Joined: 27 Aug 2009
Posts: 1214
Location: Back in Forth Worth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:32 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Also they rarely present you with a menu of four actions to take, and when they do, the correct action is always something that is not on the menu. Plus no Groundhogs Day save and restore function to keep trying until you get it right.

True, but that's part of the challenge. If real girls were completely predictable, they'd be pretty boring, don't you think? Besides, on those rare occasions when you DO get it right the reward can be much more pleasant than anything on a video screen can provide.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
agila61



Joined: 22 Feb 2009
Posts: 3199
Location: NE Ohio

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:46 pm Reply with quote
chefneer wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Also they rarely present you with a menu of four actions to take, and when they do, the correct action is always something that is not on the menu. Plus no Groundhogs Day save and restore function to keep trying until you get it right.

True, but that's part of the challenge. If real girls were completely predictable, they'd be pretty boring, don't you think? Besides, on those rare occasions when you DO get it right the reward can be much more pleasant than anything on a video screen can provide.


I was tempted to make a remark based on an intricate distortion of a bird in the hand and two in the bush, but its too late at night to get it right, so I elected not to do so.

I never had any luck with real girls. As for women, that went better, but now I am married to one of them, so its safest for my health if I don't have any further luck with any other women.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 4153
Location: Maryland, USA

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
mdo7 wrote:

That's what people on Kotaku has been talking about whenever Love Plus pops up. Yeah I don't understand it too, it's not like these girls are going to cook food, get all "Snuggy wuggy", or take care of children for you. Some people speculate that "virtual girlfriend" are probably the reason why Japan's birthrate are declining.

not really sure why Kotaku matters... you'd get a totally different opinion from say... Sankaku. Anyways, it's just an idealization. A projection, a sort of vicarious interaction. As far as Japan's bithrate goes, that keeps on being brought up as somehow "the" example which is ironic considering several European countries actually have lower birth rates and/or greater decline rates than Japan, and several other EU countries are comparable to or trending like Japan. So it's not like they're all playing Loveplus... Rolling Eyes


You're right, I forgot Europe's birthrate is declining too. But it was never brought up on Kotaku. Anyway, a lot of people are creeped out with Love Plus and how people are being obessed with the girls in the game over the real one. I know the girls are pretty in the game, but they can't compared to real one. I don't know if any of the Love Plus girl and I could share something in common like for me, I love Science and video game beside anime/manga. Could the girls in Love Plus share that same interest, I bet you not. Rolling Eyes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Teriyaki Terrier



Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 5689

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:28 am Reply with quote
[quote="Top Gun"][quote="einhorn303"]
chefneer wrote:


(Halls: For the creepy otaku with a head cold!)


Now that is a slogan that would easily convince me to watch a halls commercial, simply because it just sounds hilarious.

I have to wonder though if the USA branch has ever considered a idea like what Japan Halls is doing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group