• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Steins;Gate, 30-sai, Gosick, Merry Promos Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:07 pm Reply with quote
It just occurred to me that the director working on Stein;Gate also worked on Texhnolyze and Shigurui. Hopefully this turns out good because lately there hasn't been many good (or should I say profitable) anime adaptations based on Nitro+ titles (granted, I'm thinking Fate/Zero might have the bigger possibility of being the successful one).
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm already disappointed with Steins;Gate. Look at that image and tell me why you didn't make the characters as white in the anime.
You know... that character would look gorgeous if painted that way. Argh. Give my whiteness back. Now!
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I knew the promo art for Steins;Gate looked too good to make it intact into the anime. Sad

Still not amazed by Gosick, but check out the third character down on this page. HAIR!!!! Just... don't scroll down further to their "teacher," who basically has the head of a 7-year old grafted onto a normally-proportioned adult body. The contrast is sort of creepy. Shocked
pantsmca

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Except the "anime promo art" you all were talking about was actually promo art for the visual novel...
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Still not amazed by Gosick, but check out the third character down on this page. HAIR!!!!

It's the drill that will pierce the heavens! Laughing

There's nothing so far impressive about Gosick besides its genres, those working behind it, and the fact that the great me is looking forward to it.
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm soo going to watch 30-sei. Hiro Shimono's voice is hilarious! (btw his singing is funny as well)
MrHatandClogs

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Ok, after seeing that, Merry actually looks pretty B/A! Just another on the roster I guess.
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:54 pm Reply with quote
MrHatandClogs wrote:
Ok, after seeing that, Merry actually looks pretty B/A! Just another on the roster I guess.

Same here. I wasn't even going to give it a chance but after that trailer its definitely going to be on my watch list.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:56 pm Reply with quote
If that's the OP theme for Gosick, it doesn't seem to fit the atmosphere of the series.

vashfanatic wrote:

Still not amazed by Gosick, but check out the third character down on this page. HAIR!!!! Just... don't scroll down further to their "teacher," who basically has the head of a 7-year old grafted onto a normally-proportioned adult body. The contrast is sort of creepy. Shocked

Correct link for that is: http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/contents/gosick/chara/index.html

Yeah, every time that character shows up, it's mentioned how absurd his hair is. It's almost as if it's poking fun at anime's genre conventions.

egoist wrote:
There's nothing so far impressive about Gosick besides its genres, those working behind it, and the fact that the great me is looking forward to it.

It can be very hard for Western fans to evaluate upcoming anime based on the actual content of the work it's adapted from, since they're often not translated into English. But I think evaluating upcoming anime based on the content rather than surface details probably makes more sense...at least for me. The anime I truly like are usually liked because the characters and themes have emotional resonance to me. Although high production values and good staff certainly can't hurt.
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:14 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
It's the drill that will pierce the heavens! Laughing

Haha a Gurren Lagann reference. Your funny Razz
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:49 pm Reply with quote
30-sai seems a bit confused. Why does a show that's supposed to help get 30 year olds into relationships with women have two male characters that look like yaoi rejects (the guy on the throne and the boy). Then again the girls aren't very "real world" themselves so I'm thinking the whole "help" premise is really just a big joke and not intended to be taken serious. Doesn't even look that good anyway so I guess there goes the last thing it had going for it.

I was already looking forward to Merry, but the previous trailers make her look kinda weak, the new promo really makes her stand out, I'm really looking forward to it now.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Swissman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:01 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
30-sai seems a bit confused. Why does a show that's supposed to help get 30 year olds into relationships with women have two male characters that look like yaoi rejects (the guy on the throne and the boy). Then again the girls aren't very "real world" themselves

That's because in the original books, which do actually have a help premise but should only be taken half seriously when it comes to the main narrative, different loser guys are suddenly being visited by a tsundere-like gothic lolita fairy which functions as a "love"advisor and comic relief. I guess they expand the joke with a fantasy character within the story for the sake of tv lenght run-time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:21 pm Reply with quote
Agreed, Emerje, this Merry trailer was nice for pushing her strength.

They did a great job on these promos. Merry's trailers and Soul Eater-tinged art for the supernatural stuff and coloring plus the action as well as Merry's physical action moves and the fight against the cool looking masked cat-thing have totally sold me on making sure I check it out, sooo glad I watched the trailers after the description almost made me completely overlook this, now it's definitely getting a chance. The production values and world design are looking really nice too if they can keep that up. Now I find myself wishing this was an April show so that it wasn't going to probably be only 12/13 eps lol, then again it's not like it's a bad runtime I just want it to get all the time it needs if it turns out as good as these trailers.

Steins Gate will hopefully be good as I like scifi and I'm really hoping Gosick is good since I love mystery shows and would be looking forward to a new female Sherlock Holmes type show.
Deadwing

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:52 am Reply with quote
I always look foward to anything BONES does and Gosick is no exception. Looks more like a slow-paced, moody drama. Obvious Engrish title it has, though. Should've been "Gothic." Oh, and hair drill.

Steins;Gate looks interesting. I'll definitely give it a look. And after seeing the Merry promo, I might actually check that one out too.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Deadwing wrote:
Obvious Engrish title it has, though. Should've been "Gothic." Oh, and hair drill.

Um, unless there's an intentional play on words going on? "Gothic" is used regularly enough in Japanese pop culture that an "oops we spelled it wrong!" is unlikely. It's either "poor literacy is kewl" or a play on words.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2