• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast Holiday Special II Part Two

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:10 am Reply with quote
Thunderbird- wrote:
Yeah, I know a least three people on Twitter who really like KisXSis and find it absolutely hilarious. I kind of understand the popularity behind shows like it. In Japan a lot people don't have siblings so they don't know what it's like to have one. So of course there are people with fantasies like that. Oh well, whatever gets money in the industry is good I guess.

I can see why it gets the hate it does. I watched it, but I'm watched it more for the fanservice instead of the gripping story which I will admit did stick somewhat closely to the manga albeit the less raunchy parts.

I was happy to hear my list being read on the show, though I had a feeling that it would be on the worst anime list. For my number 1 it is the only time that I never felt horrible that I went after the fansub even when the R1 version was out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takeyo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:47 am Reply with quote
The Return? THANK YOU!!! I saw part of this in a bar several years ago and thought, "hey, this is really good," but never got around to asking what the title was. It's a Festivus miracle!

CareyGrant wrote:
Best Movie? I love so many, but one I adore -like a warm, fuzzy hug that picks you up when you're low- is Amelie. I don't know how many time's I've seen this movie, but it gets me every time.

Seconded! Amelie came damn close to making my top three. It's a wonderfully whimsical film overflowing with warm fuzzies. I'd recommend it to pretty much anyone not adverse to such films. Plus, another Netflix-streaming title.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:58 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

I wouldn't put much stock in Zac's opinion on that type of show, some people have an ability to watch and enjoy a huge variety of work (Mike Toole for example) but I never saw Zac as that type of person. Honestly if Zac thinks that Saber Marionette J is one of the worst of that type of show than he must not have seen DearS, or Girl Bravo. Yeah Saber Marionette is a cliche 90's show (Megumi Hayshibara, hyper magical girlfriend) but it's not bland like a lot of the latter harem works .

Saber Marionette J is garbage. That has nothing to do with me being close-minded or other things that came later being worse. Thanks for phrasing this in such an insulting and condescending way, though!

Also, Mike isn't going to be your girlfriend no matter how hard you keep trying.
Crisha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:38 am Reply with quote
Interesting lists Zac and Justin. I can't say I've watched a whole lot of the anime or movies from either list, but it was entertaining to listen to.

I am big on researching series before I watch, so I'm pretty good at avoiding the worst series out there. And if a few do slip by, I rarely ever complete something I won't like, and so I can't list if I haven't watched enough. At first, I thought I wouldn't even be able to make a list until I looked at my MAL and realized just how many anime I have scored less than 5. Of course, a majority are OVAs/movies (easier to finish something short).

Bottom 5 Anime:
1. Angel Sanctuary OVA
2. Rurouni Kenshin: Ishinshishi e no Requiem Movie
3. Chrono Crusade
4. Fushigi Yuugi Eikoden OVA
5. Naruto Movies 1 & 2

I may list my favorite movies later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:41 am Reply with quote
You all hate Mouse, Kiss X Sis, Saber Marionette, Fubuki, the Final Fantasy anime, Eiken, but you like the Love Hina anime? Guess I never have to listen to this show again, they hate everything I like...

Saber Marionette J had a surprisingly fun dub for its time, and I couldn't disagree more on the character desgins, I thought they were great. J to X kinda ruined both of those things. And this isn't nostalgia from the ninties or anything, I first saw the show 2 years ago.
Zump

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
The funny thing about Arcade Gamer Fubuki is TV Tropes lists it as being a case of "Your Mileage May Vary". In other words, if you're into lolicon, you might be able to enjoy it. Personally, I beg to differ with that assessment. You couldn't even convince the denizens of 4chan to watch that trash. Just let that thought set in for a moment...

I'm surprised that Roots Search wasn't mentioned in the Podcast, given how notoriously bad it was.

I think Voltage Fighter Gowkaizer (yet another Masami Obari masterpiece, much like Virus Buster Serge) deserves special mention. It was so epically stupid that somebody on YouTube made a "Stupidity" compilation video of it.
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Eiken and KissXSiss are the only shows on the bad lists that I've seen. I watched Eiken for 15 min and had to stop. I was busy running to the bathroom because I threw up in my mouth. KissXSiss was visually less disgusting. That's about the nicest thing I can say about it, so I'll stop here.

I have such a hard time with top movies. I always start a list and keep changing it over and over. At this moment I would list these. I'll want to change it as soon as I post it!

10 Chinatown
9 Raiders of the Lost Ark
8 Cool Hand Luke
7 Shane
6 The Shootist
5 The Fifth Element <-- Greatest watch anytime movie ever
4 There Will Be Blood
3 Goodfellas
2 North by Northwest
1 Ikiru
eyevocal

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Just a bit of pedantry: U-Jin's name is pronounced "Yuu-Jin," and basically means "playboy." Now you know.

I've never sat down and tried to work out what I felt was the worst three anime I've seen, but the one that probably pissed me off the most was Arjuna. Looked good (so it has made for some pretty good AMVs), but it's both preachy and effing stupid. "Insects only eat the dead parts of plants"? Really, dickhead? Tell that to farmers who have dealt with boll weevils, Mediterranean fruit flies or potato bugs. I sat out the ep in which they went off on meat-eating when they played it at the anime club, but couldn't resist coming back in as it was ending and say right out loud, "F***, I could really dig a steak right about now!" Got me a big laugh.
Copyrighted Name

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I love Zac's reaction to hearing "Idol Fighter Su-Chi-Pai".

The crazy thing about Zaion is that director Seiji Mizushima also directed Fullmetal Alchemist. Seriously.

Hearing Origin described as "the really boring parts of Steamboy" is a terrifying prospect indeed.

The hatred for Gundam Seed Destiny is pretty understandable, especially when characters start having flashbacks to events they never witnessed involving characters they've never met.

Genma Wars isn't Tezuka-style, it's Shotaro Ishinomori, who was one of the creators of the source material and also created Cyborg 009, Kikaider, Kamen Rider, and Super Sentai.

To me, the best movies just leave you with a hushed awe that sits in you while you watch it (Examples: Blade Runner, 2001). I take it as a sign of greatness when I get to the credits and just want to sit there watching them.

I'm considering Moulin Rouge, but I'm a little gunshy because Baz Luhrmann also directed the Leonardo DiCaprio version of Romeo and Juliet, which I found utterly atrocious.

Tim Burton is a good example of a phenomenon I've noticed in directors from about 1970 onwards, which is that the big-name directors tend to gain their notoriety in their very early films, and their later films tend not to match up in quality. For example, if you look at Steven Spielberg, what are his most well-known and well-regarded films? Duel. Jaws. Raiders of the Lost Ark. In other words, his early stuff. By contrast, Akira Kurosawa and Alfred Hitchcock didn't start making the films they're most known for until after they'd already had a number of films under their belt.
Brand

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
My bottom three worst anime:

Tokyo Revelation - I'm a huge SMT fan but this is utterly terrible. It's pretty far removed from any of the source material. An OVA based on a manga, loosely based on a video game, which is a re-imagining of an older video game, based on a book. Yeah... Sad part is I own the manga that that OVA is directly based on and it isn't really that close to the manga which is only sort tied to the game. The OVA its self is a mess, with terrible character designs, and really out of place elements (psychic ninja? Uh no thanks...)

Miyuki-chan in Wonderland - I remember when I was getting into anime my Mom said she would buy me an anime VHS for Christmas. I had my choices down between this and Night on the Galactic Railroad. I picked Night on the Galactic Railroad thankfully (still one of my favorite anime movies of all time). But years later I was still curious about this and picked up the DVD of Miyuki-chan really cheap. I went to watch it and was like the run time is only 30 minutes? WTH? No less is it "Alice in Wonderland" compressed and anime-ized into 30 minutes half of that is also "Through the Looking Glass". Needless to say, it's a total mess and the art quality in it can't cover for it like it does in the manga.

Tachiguishi Retsuden/The Amazing Lives of the Fast Food Grifters - I've not a big Oshii fan but I have found may of his works at least worth watching once even if I find them boring and at least a little pretentious. This movie is everything I don't like about his works in one really painful piece. It had a lot of promise. A ton of still photographs animated into a movie? Really cool concept and looked very cool. Not cool enough to keep my eyes on the movie and awake. I saw this at a festival with six of my friends and after the movie we had all said we each had wanted to walk out but were worried the others were enjoying it. Turns out no one enjoyed this movie. No, one. In fact thinking about it is making me angry. Evil or Very Mad
Hardgear

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:53 pm Reply with quote
brand wrote:
Miyuki-chan in Wonderland - I remember when I was getting into anime my Mom said she would buy me an anime VHS for Christmas. I had my choices down between this and Night on the Galactic Railroad. I picked Night on the Galactic Railroad thankfully (still one of my favorite anime movies of all time). But years later I was still curious about this and picked up the DVD of Miyuki-chan really cheap. I went to watch it and was like the run time is only 30 minutes? WTH? No less is it "Alice in Wonderland" compressed and anime-ized into 30 minutes half of that is also "Through the Looking Glass". Needless to say, it's a total mess and the art quality in it can't cover for it like it does in the manga.

Heeeeey, Mikuki-chan was awesome! In the "so bad it's good" way, but still awesome! Everyone I have shown it to has hated it with a passion (much to my amusement), and I try to show it to as many people as I can (for my amusement, of course), and cause of that it has resulted in some interesting in-jokes.

But while I'm here.... I ALWAYS have trouble making "worst of" lists when it comes to TV and anime because I can always find something to entertain me in what I am watching, and me being entertained is the ONLY condition I have when deciding what doesn't go on the bad list. So far there has only been 1 exception, and that is Dr Slump. That is the only anime I have ever seen that I could find no reason to finish any given episode, it just bored me to tears. It's OK to start flaming me know, I am wearing my flame-retardant big-girl panties.
ittoujuu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed those "Worst 10 Anime" lists a lot, though thankfully I've steered clear of most of them. I agree with the Saber Marionette series, though I think that's more just about me really disliking stuff that Satoru Akahori works on (though, Video Girl Ai is a personal favorite series and he worked on that, but hey, even Koichi Mashimo has Tylor to his name...). I think two of the worst things I've seen in recent years were Le Portrait de Petit Cosette and Ladies vs. Butlers. What was I thinking making myself sit through the whole thing, as though I was expecting something to suddenly happen that made the experience all worthwhile?

For the record, I'd cite VS Knight Lamune & 40 Fire as being the worst anime I've seen. It was so bad, I actually got a refund on the fansub tape I blind-bought.

As far as the movie lists...it's pretty common for me to be at odds with movie critics, because the movies that are usually considered "Oscar bait" never really do much for me. With so many films, I could see them once, think "Ah, that was cool." and never feel a need to see the film ever again. I've only seen a couple of the movies on Zac's list (though I totally agree with the shout-out to Ratatouille as Pixar's best - and I think Brad Bird is damn excellent), but I don't know that I've seen a single movie on Justin's list, and hadn't even heard of the majority of them.

I guess, when it comes to movies in particular, that's one medium where I'm a pretty low-brow consumer. I mainly just see stuff that already fits in with what I know I like, and don't really consume much in the way of auteur or indie works, or seek out classics to see. Even if I took my favorite films, they're favorites because they're entertaining - most films don't really speak to me personally in the way some of my favorite anime have, and my favorite anime list would probably outrank a lot of my favorite film list if the two were shuffled together. But then, I don't really have the critical "tools" to appreciate film in the way people who took film classes do, so I end up using the tools I've got available to me, from study of literature (which unfortunately leaves out a lot of the 'cinematic language').

Still, an interesting show all around; I like to hear these kinds of opinions and discussions. I'm in the process of writing a "Top 10 Favorite Anime for 2000-2010" list and was wondering whether there'd been a podcast like that. If not, I'd certainly be up for hearing one. This decade has delivered some interesting stuff, and I think it's worth the contemplation.

Thanks again for a year of podcasting that has kept me very entertained at work, and happy holidays.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:01 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
penguin: Compared to Nostradamus, Columbus is one of the better Lupin specials.

Nostradamus is pretty average. There's a lot of fun in Lupin and Jigen trying to break into the complex safe, getting past various obstacles. Nostradamus isn't even as poor as Gold of Babylon, which is still better than Columbus. Columbus makes me feel sick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SonicRenegade84

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
You all hate Mouse, Kiss X Sis, Saber Marionette, Fubuki, the Final Fantasy anime, Eiken, but you like the Love Hina anime?

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't like Love Hina. I LOVE the manga, I hate the anime.
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
SonicRenegade84 wrote:
Otaku_X wrote:
You all hate Mouse, Kiss X Sis, Saber Marionette, Fubuki, the Final Fantasy anime, Eiken, but you like the Love Hina anime?

If it makes you feel any better, I didn't like Love Hina. I LOVE the manga, I hate the anime.

I'll agree to that, the manga is one of my favorites, but the anime butchered it. Seems they just can't adapt Ken Akamatsu's stuff right. I liked the second Negima anime, but that was pretty much it's own thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7