• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Cat's Cradle

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:13 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Quote:

but I maintain that it would have if the American version of the Dragon Quest cartoon hadn't folded due to legal problems.

I haven't seen the show myself, but I think it would've caught on if they didn't go for that "classic" Old English dialogue which has been ridiculed to death on the Internets.

The Dragon Quest dub didn't use such dialogue though. It did have scenes that had to be edited out deemed too ecchi for kids at the time. Laughing

Michi wrote:

Mind you, that doesn't really explain as easily why we didn't get Dragon Quest V on SNES back in 1992! I think it's just that Dragon Quest was a step behind Final Fantasy. The localizations were slower and people started getting the new FF before the latest DQ, even though it was the other way around for a while in Japan.

Maybe because Dragon Warrior was too damn talky to translate! Laughing
sepherest

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:23 am Reply with quote
Wow, after doing some extra reading and going on the website for it, Arm's Heart looks pretty bad. The sprites and character designs are really throwing me off (is the protagonist some sort of steampunk Jareth/Howl?) ,plus there's barely information regarding the games actual plot. I really love the Shadow Hearts series but that looks like something I'm going to steer clear of.
Lyrai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think Arc System Works hates me and anyone else who still likes Guilty Gear.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3902/dodging_striking_winning_the_.php

No, they just lost the rights to Guilty Gear to Sega. Complain to Sega if you want more Guilty Gear.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:25 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
FINALLY, Dragon Quest VI. Damn the game was already out in Japan months ago. Well, considering how long it took. I had pre-ordered last year, or was it? I was wondering when it was going to be finally released.

And it only took how many years for this game to actually be re-made and how many more years to be licensed in US? Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy both Dragon Quest and Square Enix, but it sure has taken several years.

None the less though, I am buying this since I never had the chance to play ever before. I've been gaming for a decade plus and still haven't had the chance to play this game, so for me this is great news.

Although it is nice to see a new Kenshin game, I much rather have waited several more years for a better game rather than a run of the mill fighting game. It might even be considered too little too late, as I am not sure people even remember this series anymore.

But seriously Square Enix, it's one thing to wait several years for a game to be made and translated, but I wonder if this means if the Dragon Quest I, II, III will have a shot at being remade?
rare_dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Lyrai wrote:
Quote:
I think Arc System Works hates me and anyone else who still likes Guilty Gear.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3902/dodging_striking_winning_the_.php

No, they just lost the rights to Guilty Gear to Sega. Complain to Sega if you want more Guilty Gear.

noooooooooooooooooooooo Crying or Very sad
ultimafullmetal

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Shadow Hearts: Covenant is one of my favorite games. What other game has a gay-vampire-professional wrestler who uses frozen tuna and alien spaceships as a weapon? That's right, none.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:05 am Reply with quote
Michi:
Quote:
Enix of America closed in November 1995. Dragon Quest VI came out in December 1995. There was no one to bring it over then.

It's more like they were put out of commission for a while. 'Cus if you recall, they also released DQM, DQ VII and some giant robot game before they officially became obsolete w/ the Square merger. Or was that Enix of Japan? Or is the Enix Corp I'm finding on Gamefaqs just a re-branded Enix of America?

Quote:
Mind you, that doesn't really explain as easily why we didn't get Dragon Quest V on SNES back in 1992!

'Cus POS RPGs like 7th Saga and Paladin's Quest were considered more marketable? Rolling Eyes Oh, well, we did get Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia before they totally lost it. Just wish I could play Terra Nigma like the Europeans.

Quote:
I think it's just that Dragon Quest was a step behind Final Fantasy. The localizations were slower and people started getting the new FF before the latest DQ, even though it was the other way around for a while in Japan.

If you wanna be technical, 'cus Square skipped the original FF 2 and 3, it was easier to bring out part IV back then. And since it was next gen-I.E. SNES-the company was able to expand quicker on the audience which bought the first FF game. Though, if I recall back then, more people were playing and talking about Actraiser, which was also on the SNES around the same time. So I still don't get why Enix of America blew that opportunity to cash in on FF IV/II [not to mention Secret of Mana] w/ DQ V. And from what I heard, there were S-Famicom remakes of DQ I-III; so those should've been a no-brainer, too.

Quote:
We were busy with Dragon Quest IX over the summer, and only an idiot would try to release Dragon Quest VI anywhere around the same time.

From what I've heard, DQ VI is very text-intensive, and not easy to translate fast. Parish over at Gamespite claims that's one of the factors for not bringing over Seiken Densetsu 3. Though my feeling on why we got screwed out of that one was that the company probably wanted to move on from the SNES after Earthbound bombed. Well, that, or perhaps Nintendo might've given them a hard time after they jumped ship to Sony. I mean, there was supposed to be an FF-something on the '64 once.

Terrier: Well, if it makes you feel better, I had to wait an additional six years for the DS remake of DQ IV, after I got c**k-blocked on the PSX port. And DQ I-III were remade, but only for the Super Famicom. You could also get the GBC editions, if you want, since those were actually localized.
bravetailor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:45 pm Reply with quote
I've played about 6 hours of the JP version of Seiken Densetsu 3, and it's really not that text-intensive, relative to most RPGs on the SNES. In fact, none of the games in that series are even close to as wordy (as you'd know judging by Secret of Mana) as most of the other RPGs Squaresoft was putting out at the time.

That said, that game SHOULD have been re-released at some point during the PS1-PS2 eras. Secret of Mana was one of the more popular RPGs for the SNES, probably sold just as much or more than Lufia and BOF, yet those franchises have seen re-releases left and right on various platforms, so a Seiken Densetsu bundle would have sold, even if some of the later Mana games weren't as popular.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I think what bugs me about Seiken Densetsu 3 is Square did in fact tease that they were gonna release it via a flyer I got in the mail which no longer exists. Of course, I also recall them saying there was gonna be a cartoon tie-in.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2