• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Jojo's Bizarre Adventure

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MJP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
JuicyB

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I'm reading the Stardust Crusaders part of the manga put out by Viz right now, it's really great! Easily the best thing to come out of shonen jump.
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I really like this series, but I am mad that I haven't bought the volumes yet.

I am also pissed that Americans can't see that Araki is a genius, and it would be one of the greatest things in the world if they start making a TV series or OVA of the rest of Jojo.

Its awesome when Gio goes "MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA MUDA" on the GioGio's PS2 game.

Damn I need to get the Jojo's Venture game Anime hyper where can I get it?
Adonisus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Of all the manga to come out of Shonen Jump, JoJo is my absolute favorite (that isn't Go Nagai-related). Araki-sensei is a genius. His artwork is gorgeous and easily recognizable.

JoJo has had a huge impact on Japanese pop culture, including video games. Quite a few of the characters from the Street Fighter franchise have their visual inspirations from JoJo characters. For example, Rose from SFAlpha was inspired by Lisa Lisa from Part 2. Both Guile and M. Bison were inspired by Rudol von Stronheim, also from Part 2. Juri from Super SFIV was visually inspired from Jolyne Kujo from Part 6. And Gill from SFIII was partly inspired by Dio Brando.

There is also an awesome, leather-bound novel (The Book: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 4th Another Day ), based on Part 4 that was written by none other than Otsuichi, with Araki-sensei supervising and illustrating as well. It includes a map and a cool pop-up illustration in the front.

Oh, and you know those Alex Rider novels by Anthony Horowitz? Araki did the cover and illustrations for the japanese edition of the first novel (Stormbreaker). They have to be seen to be believed! Laughing
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:57 am Reply with quote
This has been made into an anime. I have the dvd's.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:25 am Reply with quote
maxxjulie wrote:
This has been made into an anime. I have the dvd's.

And Jason did mention the OVAs in his article, as well as the movie. That's why he specifically said that JoJo has never had a TV anime, even though it's been around since the 80s. Since Golgo 13 got its TV series, JoJo is now the longest-running manga to have never gotten a TV anime series.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Well, apparently the official spelling really is "Avdol", though the name is definitely a reference to Paula Abdul.

Araki himself confirmed this?
Sepherest wrote:
From what's been said around various internet forums, the movie was really bad. Bad enough that Araki refuses to have it released on DVD. I know he can be a bit picky about these things, like what happened with him and releasing the Part 5 fighting game in english, but apparently the movie had pretty mediocre animation and some important characters were omitted, like Speedwagon only appearing during the Ogre Street fight. Just seeing that made me wonder how much the plot was changed, because if Wang Chung also didn't appear in it a good chunk of the story would be gone. It's also interesting that there's no camrips of it, either, so the only people that really know about it are the ones who saw it in theaters.

It's also been said around forums that the failure of the Phantom Blood movie is the major reason why Araki doesn't want to see anymore Jojo animation.

For all we know, Jojo may go down as the only major Jump property to not get a TV anime.

But, then again, Hellsing got a second chance with a successful OVA series, Fullmetal Alchemist got a new TV series that follows the manga faithfully, Inuyasha got a new TV series to finish the story. Maybe Jojo can get a series sometime down the road if Araki is willing to break the ice and be granted full creative control over production and writing.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:30 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Lord Geo wrote:
Well, apparently the official spelling really is "Avdol", though the name is definitely a reference to Paula Abdul.

Araki himself confirmed this?

I don't remember where I saw it, and it was back when Viz started releasing the manga, but I think either Viz or Araki himself admitted that "Avdol" was an accepted spelling of the name. And considering the many odd but official Engrish spellings that names have been spelt in anime & manga, I'm willing to believe it.
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:44 pm Reply with quote
I've been wanting to check out Jojo's ever since hearing positive reviews for both the anime & manga on the AWO podcast. I did end up buying the anime, sans the ridiculously-priced OOP disc 4, but I'm a bit reluctant to invest in such a long manga series (and yes, to me 16 volumes is long, especially for something I've never read). But I have to admit I really like his character designs and I'd love to have the artbooks. So maybe I'll just have to work Jojo's into my budget this year (heck, I see most of the volumes are eligible for Amazon's 4-for-3 sale right now).

Edit as of 2011.01.14: And then I went and bought all 16 volumes within a 2 week span. And started loaning them out to a very interested coworker.Anime hyper

Last edited by poonk on Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:38 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zump

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Excellent article! Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is my favorite Shonen Jump manga of all time. It's interesting how much Araki's art style has changed since the Phantom Blood story arch.

Speaking of Araki, it seems as though he's not too fond of adaptations of his work straying too far from the source material. The Phantom Blood movie apparently has yet to see a DVD release even in Japan.
Ninjaguiden

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:48 am Reply with quote
Great article! Will be recommend it to people interested in JoJo.

I tried to get my just slightly younger brother interested, but I think I might have come on too strong (something I do sometimes) and now he's trolling me with the mindbreaking statement:

"Digimon is better than JoJo"

Sort of sad about this since it would be nice to have someone to talk about JoJo with and get excited about reading it.
JohnathanEnder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm a Muslim and an American, just for the record...and I friggin' LOVE JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

I've been picking up Viz's (excruciatingly slow) releases for five years now, and I am quite sad to see it end, but I am happy that it was released, all the same. Every Christmas, I've found someone to throw these volumes at -- this year, it was smuggled into a Secret Santa for someone in my office.

Thank you Jason. This article, like so many others you have written (namely Battle Angel, Saint Seiya, and Japan Inc.), remind me of why it's so swanky to be an old-school manga fan.
simside

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this is definitely in my top three manga series of all time, and probably would be number one if the three weren't so freakishly different and difficult to choose between.

This blew my mind when I was about eighteen. I read part one and could not believe such a thing existed. I talked people's ears off about it for months. When it got translated into English, my boring Jojo banter grew even more insistent. It's a damn shame it hasn't caught on in English, because it is truly spectacular. There is so much truly off-the-wall and bizarre stuff going on that a re-read will always grant me several scenes I've forgotten. For instance, I have no recollection of the chain-mouth beetles.

And I'll agree with the ending to part three being absolutely the best. Words fail me when I try to describe it. The heart-stopping, breath-catching action had me flat-out impressed. Bringing new life to old characters like that, it was like time just stopped passing me by while I read it. The fact they rocked out to "Get Back" on the last page was also pretty awesome.

Your explanation about how Araki had to re-draw the Cairo scenes may explain why I had trouble picking up part three in Japanese. I finished up part two, then the part three volumes seemed like they went out of print a year or two ago. I noticed they came back recently, though. I thought maybe they were going out of print in favor of the bunkoban.

I love this series so much! I hope that, at the very least, Steel Ball Run gets a shot at English in the future. I'm very thankful that we got to see the end of part three in English, too.
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
JohnathanEnder wrote:
I'm a Muslim and an American, just for the record...and I friggin' LOVE JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

I've been picking up Viz's (excruciatingly slow) releases for five years now, and I am quite sad to see it end, but I am happy that it was released, all the same. Every Christmas, I've found someone to throw these volumes at -- this year, it was smuggled into a Secret Santa for someone in my office.

Thank you Jason. This article, like so many others you have written (namely Battle Angel, Saint Seiya, and Japan Inc.), remind me of why it's so swanky to be an old-school manga fan.

Thanks, Jonathan! In my dreams, Viz will pick up Steel Ball Run *AND* start translating Jojo Parts 1 & 2, but.... well, a guy has to dream, right?

Last edited by ptolemy18 on Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
ptolemy18
Manga Reviewer/Creator/Taster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:44 pm Reply with quote
The awesome thing about the ending of Part 3 (among many other things) is, not only does it end the story of the Joestar family from parts 1 and 2, but it's also just so serious and intense following the many silly & kooky battles throughout Part 3. (They're not all like that, of course, but there are plenty of semi-humorous bad guys.) The anime ups the drama even more, although there's no way it can match Araki's artwork at its best.

Speaking of which... the anime is good, but I have to admit, I think the 1990s portion (going from N'doul to the fight with Dio) is much better than the 'prequel' 2000s portion. The 1990s portion is INCREDIBLE, with great music, and very fast-paced. The 2000s portion is much slower-paced (in an interview, they said they were intentionally trying to slow it down so the 1990s bit seemed more like the fast-paced climax, which I think was a mistake) and it also has an obviously cheaper animation budget and relies more on computer effects. Of course, now it's all out of print anyway...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2