• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Memorandum: Rejected Titles

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:16 am Reply with quote
UPDATE: Britney Spears' new music video is another one that won't make it on the Encyclopedia.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
rti9

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:26 am Reply with quote
I was wondering if it would be OK to add 1001 Nights on Yoshitaka Amano's non-anime staff credits as original creator. I'm asking here because people might think it's anime.
tyciol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:48 pm Reply with quote
areaseven wrote:
not anime and not even remotely related to anime:

The Batman (TV)
Batman Beyond (TV)
Teen Titans (TV)

Ultimate Avengers (Direct-to-Video)
Ultimate Avengers 2 (Direct-to-Video)

I think "not even remotely related" is being a bit dramatic. The first three are certainly related to anime#10174 and the last two are related to anime#11786

Kind of like how the original Powerpuff Girls isn't listed but is related to anime#5371
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure why I should have to point this out, but whatever
Quote:
Posted: Sat May 07, 2005 7:29 am
Last edited by areaseven on Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:34 pm

Neither of the shows you link existed at the time he made that statement.

It's also rather like saying we should have an entry for Baz Luhrmann's Romeo + Juliet because Romeo x Juliet exists.

I think you misunderstand what "not anime but related" means - it is not for things that have been turned into anime, but for things adapted from an anime or from the same Japanese source (like Dragonball Evolution) or with substantial Japanese involvement (like Thundercats).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Lapin noir

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:04 pm Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
I was wondering if it would be OK to add 1001 Nights on Yoshitaka Amano's non-anime staff credits as original creator. I'm asking here because people might think it's anime.

IMO this is exactly the kind of thing that the "Non-anime staff credits" section is there to cover, so that the contributions of Japanese staff to primarily non-Japanese works can be acknowledged without the need for the works to have database entries.

Is this thread an appropriate place to report to administrators instances of works in the database which, as far as my understanding of the rules goes, really shouldn't have their own entries in it? Or would starting a new thread just for that be better?

One such entry I've come across today is for the live-action movie of Let Me Eat Your Pancreas. This is a live-action adaptation of a novel (and not even one marketed as a "light" novel, if that makes any difference). That the same novel also has adaptations as a comic and an animated movie seems, to me, to be clearly irrelevant, and if I employ Dan42's test it scores, at a stretch, 6 points, short of the 8 points or more suggested as a minimum for entry.

I know that the test isn't the be-all and end-all of deciding on relevance and it is ultimately up to the decision of administrators on a case-by-case basis, but it gives some objective weight to further justify whether something feels like it should or shouldn't be covered.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7