• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Simulcast Rio – Rainbow Gate! Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't this show the least-anticipated Winter anime from the poll ANN just did? Not to say that this will be a bad show, but it is a bit odd to see this get a simulcast. Oh well, I guess seeing this get simulcasted can only give me hope for the Spring season...
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Woot! Simulcast!
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Okay so going from the site investigation
http://www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-672936/winter-anime-2011?pg=21#34832909

Quote:
Level E, Wandering Son, Beelzebub, Gosick, Rio, Dragon Crisis, Kore wa Zombie desu ka?, Cardfight!! Vanguard

as well as Mitsudomoe 2, so far they've got 1 out of the 9 theorized.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Rio huh? I guess I'll watch an episode now. I have a feeling it won't go beyond that, though.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure I can really get behind a show that's basically an advertisement for the gambling industry.

Lord Geo wrote:
Wasn't this show the least-anticipated Winter anime from the poll ANN just did? Not to say that this will be a bad show, but it is a bit odd to see this get a simulcast. Oh well, I guess seeing this get simulcasted can only give me hope for the Spring season...

Whether or not CrunchyRoll gets a show is dependent upon:

Value it will bring them (in subscriptions and views) - Cost of license

...not just it's popularity.
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Genres: comedy
Themes: ecchi

*sigh*
jtiskool305

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Maybe this one will entertain me. Who knows. I'm going to watch the 1st episode just to see.
And the comment above Garfield's makes sense I don't think CR cares about popularity.
Banjo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:55 pm Reply with quote
why bother with fanservice if you can watch hentai
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Sometimes the teasing is more fulfilling than the actual product; kind of like how some people enjoy Maxim more than Playboy. At least, that's how some see it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Sex sells, people.
Banjo wrote:
why bother with fanservice if you can watch hentai

You know of any legal streams for hentai?
Ranma824

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Fanservice, action, and gambling.

I'm in.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:21 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
I'm not sure I can really get behind a show that's basically an advertisement for the gambling industry.

Lord Geo wrote:
Whether or not CrunchyRoll gets a show is dependent upon:

Value it will bring them (in subscriptions and views) - Cost of license
...not just it's popularity.
Yes ~ the CEO has said (including in an ANNCast here 32:00) that their first preference would be to simulcast every anime broadcast to every country outside Japan in the world and let the audience decide which one appeals to them.

The real appeal of this license to Crunchyroll would be the region restrictions: "worldwide outside of Japan" ~ anything they can get worldwide distribution for will be interesting, even if its "pachinko fan-service".

Indeed, they've said they at least come close to break even on all their simulcasts (at least, that's how I parse what Kun Gao said) ~ because they've gotten production, bandwidth and translation costs down due to economies of scale, which suggests that for a title like Rio, rights payments slant heavily to pay per view royalties.

If you're close enough to break even just with the baseline audience you are going to get for a low-audience show, it only takes one or two of the low-audience shows to out-perform expectations to cover the cost of the whole set. And as Kun Gao says, they get a network effect, of people coming to the site for Anime X and picking up Anime Y as "another show to follow".

So except for the big tentpole series (Naruto, Bleach), rather than the "bid or pass" model of DVD licenses, its more likely to be the model of an open offer from Crunchyroll and production committees making the pick or pass decision on a Crunchyroll simulcast.
Shichimi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I remember really digging Saki, so maybe this will turn out the same way. Although seeing as Rio is a dealer and not actually a participant in the games, it's hard to see where the drama will come from. Competition with other dealers? A format where Rio helps gamblers with their personal problems (except their gambling addiction, obviously)? Confused

garfield15 wrote:
Quote:
Genres: comedy
Themes: ecchi

*sigh*

Wait a minute, now. I remember you recommending SnOF to me! Which I did, on balance, quite like.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Shichimi wrote:
I remember really digging Saki, so maybe this will turn out the same way. Although seeing as Rio is a dealer and not actually a participant in the games, it's hard to see where the drama will come from. Competition with other dealers?
That's what the series blurb says ~ the dealers are competing to collect 13 cards ...
... hmm, 13 cards, 13 weeks in a Japanese quarterly anime season. There's a startling coincidence. Wink

I predict a gripping drama involving a card a week and improbable female physiology physics.
Shichimi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Well, you never know; that might not be its whole focus. But yeah, odds are (see what I did there?) there will be a young tsundere dealer who learns to open up thanks to Rio's pure spirit.

Together they shall face an evil dealer who has turned her intricate knowledge of probabilities to EVIL ENDS.

Which still sounds kind of awesome, to be honest!

Yes.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3