• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eva: 2.0's English Asuka, Mari, Kaji Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dizzon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
R315r4z0r wrote:
I don't think any other person on the planet likes Asuka as much as she does.

If she likes her so much, she should realize how bad she is as her. If she really cared about Asuka, she'd have let her be recast.

Damn dude! You have one note and you play the hell out of it don't you. Laughing
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:44 pm Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
penguintruth wrote:
R315r4z0r wrote:
I don't think any other person on the planet likes Asuka as much as she does.

If she likes her so much, she should realize how bad she is as her. If she really cared about Asuka, she'd have let her be recast.

Hey, why don't you stick to your subs, at let those of us who are thrilled she's coming back be thrilled? You're not gonna watch the english dub, no matter who they get, so why should you care?

What an absurd notion. Of course I will probably end up watching mostly the Japanese track, but that doesn't mean I can't have input on the English one. If it was a good dub, I would enjoy it, regardless of what language it was in. If they got somebody who wasn't terrible, I'd certainly have an easier time with the dub, now wouldn't I? And I want the movie to be properly represented in English, which I don't think it can be with Tiffany Grant as Asuka.

Your reasoning is utterly deranged.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Unsurprised to see Grant back, though Funi had no real loyalty to the overrated ADV dub like Manga did (which greatly hurt their tl quality in the process). I like her a lot in other roles, but I'm with Penguin in agreeing that she's always sounded wrong for the character. Never knew why (could be that I had switched to the sub by Asuka's arrival due to only having access to it and got used to and adored Miyamura in the role), she just didn't do it for me. It would've been nice, given the changes to Asuka, to see how a new actress would handle it. Worked for Rei. Definitely worked for Maya and Gendo. I'll even agree that Spencer is finally bearable as Shinji (though I've always liked Keith as Misato, even if she is no Mitsuishi. She was the only decent return in the mess that was EoE's dub as well) Oh well. I'll probably only see the dub if I catch it in theatres anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ninjapet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if want for Mari's voice. Sure she has only three scenes in the whole movie but still.

I've never cared much for Trina Nishimura.
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Awesome, can't wait. I wonder if people at Funi's forum are aware of this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:27 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
_V_ wrote:
All's right the the world, Tiffany's back as Asuka.

Having seen how much even Spike and Allison improved after 13 years of experience, I think Tiffany as Asuka in Rebuild 2 will be simply stunning.

They improved slightly. It's hardly a night and day improvement, which is what they needed to be good. They're no Ogata and Mitsuishi.

I would argue that the exact reverse is true: Ogata and Mitsuishi were no Spike and Allison. I have listened to the original series both ways and never understood why those two were lauded, while the English cast was derided, when the Japanese performances were so flat and dull.

Renaisance Otaku wrote:
Unsurprised to see Grant back, though Funi had no real loyalty to the overrated ADV dub like Manga did (which greatly hurt their tl quality in the process). I like her a lot in other roles, but I'm with Penguin in agreeing that she's always sounded wrong for the character. Never knew why (could be that I had switched to the sub by Asuka's arrival due to only having access to it and got used to and adored Miyamura in the role), she just didn't do it for me. It would've been nice, given the changes to Asuka, to see how a new actress would handle it. Worked for Rei. Definitely worked for Maya and Gendo.

But the problem here is that Amanda Winn Lee's performance as Rei is immensely less iconic; the character talks in such a subdued voice all the time that it wouldn't take much effort to duplicate the performance. Maya was, for me, and toss-up (the original performance was, admittedly, only so-so), and I'm from the gang that found Tristan MacAvery's Gendo to be an ideal mix of smarminess and authority, though John Swasey is a decent replacement in a distinctly different interpretation on the character.

Tiffany Grant's Asuka, though, is one of the most iconic English dub performances of the '90s, and I'm reasonably sure that most involved in actually making English dubs recognize and acknowledge that, which combined with Tiffany's fervent love for the character made casting her again this time a slam-dunk. (Her voice hasn't significantly changed over the years, either.) For me, Asuka is not Asuka without Tiffany Grant doing that voice, as she adds so much to the character that the original seiyuu could not.

Really, those who couldn't stand her performance in the original series should just go enjoy the Japanese subbed version and stop whining about a dub that you weren't going to watch anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rizuchan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:28 pm Reply with quote
Add me to the list of people that was never impressed with Grant's role as Asuka. On the other hand, I hated the Eva dub thoroughly but found Spencer's role as Shinji to be greatly improved in the movie compared to the original series. I'm going to give Funi the benefit of the doubt that Tiffany Grant has improved since as well since they usually (IMO) make good decisions when it comes to dubs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raikuro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Why is anyone surprised they could get her back? She's been in several Funimation dubs, like FMA, Ouran, Mushishi, and One Piece.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:49 pm Reply with quote
Tiffany Grant is back? Good, good. I'll do them a favor and buy the blu-ray day 1 as thanks!...is what I would be saying if I wasn't already going to be spending a stupid amount of money until the end of march. I won't hold out for it to go down to $13, how is that.
ZeArNkN

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:51 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen the Eva movies. Only Neon Genesis Evangelion. I may watch the movies someday, though.

I personally prefer Tristan MacAvery's Gendo over John Swasey's John Swasey kinda makes it sound like Gendo has a British accent, which I don't like. And I'm glad Asuka's original VA is back. I kinda liked it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:20 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I would argue that the exact reverse is true: Ogata and Mitsuishi were no Spike and Allison. I have listened to the original series both ways and never understood why those two were lauded, while the English cast was derided, when the Japanese performances were so flat and dull.

Quote:
Tiffany Grant's Asuka, though, is one of the most iconic English dub performances of the '90s, and I'm reasonably sure that most involved in actually making English dubs recognize and acknowledge that, which combined with Tiffany's fervent love for the character made casting her again this time a slaam-dunk. (Her voice hasn't significantly changed over the years, either.) For me, Asuka is not Asuka without Tiffany Grant doing that voice, as she adds so much to the character that the original seiyuu could not.

That is hilarious.

The Evangelion TV series dub, like most ADV dubs, doesn't hold up in the slightest. It's filled with exaggerated or wooden performances. Spike Spencer's Shinji is a cartoonish exaggeration, caricature of the real character that stresses a whinyness that really isn't there or is intended to be there. He makes him sound like a stereotypical cartoon coward, and I blame Mr. Spencer for a lot of the Shinji hate that goes on. And Tiffany Grant is shrill and over-the-top, forgetting that Asuka has a humanity and isn't a complete bitch all the time. These two performances are especially horrific, but most of the secondary characters are just generic voices with stilted, painful deliveries that make them sound like complete amateurs.

Ogata and Mitsuishi, meanwhile, bring a more human feel to their characters, and make them very sympathetic. It's called having acting talent.

The acting in the Eva dub is completely lacking in any subtlety or nuance, which Evangelion is full of, and becomes necessary in acting for a role for that show. There's no measure of delivery, it's just all completely over the top and exaggerated or flat and without life. Pretty much your typical ADV dub. Funimation, while hardly a great dub studio either, is better off trying to distance itself from that awful TV series dub.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
JackCox

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
Okay first of all can I please interject that it is always possible things change over many years, When Eva was first dubbed it was 2000 okay, I think after 10 years I think that people definitely get better at what they do. I think that Tiffany Grant will probably pull off a better performance this time considering the years of experience she has with this, frankly I think that people do not consider that after 10 years of acting they definitely will get better.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:40 am Reply with quote
It was okay back then because nobody had any standards. There are dubs from back then that hold up a lot better than it does. Hell, there are even ADV dubs that hold up better, though not many.

This is like the same people who tell me that DBZ's dub was "okay for the time" (which is arguable). Who gives a damn what was okay for the time? It's bad NOW.

Even if Grant has gotten better, it'll need to be a huge improvement for her to even make a positive impact. But Funimation has better VAs who could do a lot better in the role.
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:03 am Reply with quote
Not too sure about Tatum as Kaji (seems like it could work, just not sure yet) but it's great to hear Grant back as Asuka, and Trina Nishimura as Mari sounds pretty solid to me, too, as well as a possibly close match to Maaya Sakamoto's vocal performance in the film.

As far as all of the (one-sided?) hoopla over Grant and her subtlety is concerned, having listened to her perform outside of Evangelion in shows like Noir, RahXephon, and Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE, I can say pretty confidently that it's unfounded. She's a much better VA than one may think.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:13 am Reply with quote
BREAKING NEWS: Tiffany Grant re-cast as Asuka in Eva 2.0! Also, the sky is blue! Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3