• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Love, Chunibyo, & Other Delusions eps 7-12

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:33 pm Reply with quote
That's not what stock footage is. Midway is a stock footage movie, for example. As in, all of the action is real WW2 that allows them make the film on the cheapest budget. Gundam SEED and Macross 7 reusing exact sequencing over and over are examples of stock footage. Characters looking alike because of a common design theme doesn't fit, at all.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:34 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
alot of people think kyoani is high quality but I have to question that

did no one else notice how much stock footage from hyouka was reused in chuunibyou? its like you could paint the characters eyes a different color and they were from the other series.

Tamako market is also looking pretty much the same.

I can promise you that absolutely no footage was recycled from Hyouka to Chu2koi.

You are just confused because they have hte same character designer.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I think it goes beyond just similar character designs
you can literally photoshop yuta's facial expressions and paste them right over the other guy's
it may not be generic footage but there is definitely more than one layer being reused
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Review was great, if a tad more positive than I would have been, but whatever. I wasn't a fan of this show, but I had to admit it was very good. The third quarter was the best, and the last episode the worst. The comedy and moe elements grated on me, but I could see they were well-done. I loved episodes seven to eleven, though.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Characters are drawn on paper as lineart, scanned, and digitally colored. Unless you can think of any specific times where the character animation matched up exactly, I'll think it's not the same as when Disney reused animation sequencing during their down years in the 70s. (see Jungle Book and Robin Hood).
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:12 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
you can literally photoshop yuta's facial expressions and paste them right over the other guy's
it may not be generic footage but there is definitely more than one layer being reused

You're joking right?

This is the same studio that animated the same episode 8 times without so much as a single reused frame.

Yes, the designs are similar (due to the same chara designer and other staff members working on both) but at no point was any actual animation elements "reused".

If you think so, you're going to have to provide some visual evidence. Its not hard to come by, people demonstrate this all the time with other shows.
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:13 pm Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:

You remember Yuuta's name but not Oreki's? For shame.
Anyway, it's the same production studio with similar character designs. That would not conclusive of low quality even if it were true. You can seek to deflate the bubble of "omg KyoAni is perfect, slurp, slurp" but pointing out very similar shots is not going to convince anyone that their animation is not high-quality where is clearly is.
irrevilent

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Actually, the character designers for the 3 shows are all different. Hyouka was Futoshi Nishiya, Chuu ni Byou was Kazumi Ikeda and Tamako Market is Yukiko Horiguchi.

It's not all the same.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:30 pm Reply with quote
and again, Kyoani took me by complete surprise with this series, first with Hyouka expecting Jack shit and getting something pretty great and expecting only a tiny amount of entertainment here and it turned out to be a pretty decent show with an ending. Glad I saw this one through and maybe this year I can look at Kyoani with an open mind and-

*Tamako Market*

Call me when its on episode 7.....
Kohii

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Great show. Whenever "cumbersome series name" is listed as a negative, you can tell there's not much to criticize. The ending was kinda cliché but still well executed.
halochief_90

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear this one didn't lose steam. I'll be looking forward to that blu-ray release.
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:13 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I'm not as enthusiastic about the second half as other people. I gave it a B, due to the show not handling drama anywhere near as good as it handled comedy. However, since I graded the first half as an A-, the show overall got a B+ from me, or Very Good on ANN's ratings scale. That's pretty darn strong, so it's not like the second half ruined the show for me. I just wish the creators had stuck to their strengths.
My interest in this show really tanked once it started going into the HSR direction, but it's still a pretty good show overall. It didn't seem bad at being serious, it just was infinitely less interesting when it was being serious than when it was being funny; the humor and tone worked so well for me early on that everything else felt like it was getting in the way. I'd definitely watch certain episodes again, though I don't really think the whole thing is very rewatchable.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:56 am Reply with quote
One of my favorites from the Fall Season as well as 2012. Kyoto Animation strikes gold once again and delivers entertainment imo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:01 am Reply with quote
I liked the series enough that I'm buying the Blu-rays. I've got the first one, already. ^^
Swissman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:23 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Quote:
Although Sanae and Shinka only figure peripherally into the romantic developments, the relationship between the two of them also evolves in satisfyingly platonic directions, too.

Pffffffffft

Nope. No lesbians here. Really. We swear. Not a chance.

I think you're confusing "skinship" between two girls with actual lesbianism, but you wouldn't be the first one to do that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5