• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Love, Chunibyo, & Other Delusions eps 7-12

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:23 am Reply with quote
yea 2nd half of chuunibyou really show more it's drama side yet show it worth really one of anime to watch.

truly such a story give how give reveal main guy was reason to inspires all to girl really need help & make her all happy.

such a story wonder if day come when it dub or s2 it would a honor to see it all.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:21 am Reply with quote
I will be very surprised if Sentai doesn't give this one both a dub and a Blu-Ray, as this is much less of a niche title than a lot of the stuff they pick up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ShinnFlowen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:01 am Reply with quote
I dropped this series earlier thanks to Ixion saga doing a better job in making me laugh, but I'm glad Key's reviews made me reverse my decision. The second half was much more enjoyable as it made Rikka's delusions make sense in a manner that could be considered realistic. I do not believe anyone thought this goofy show was going to end up being one of the better shows last season after previewing the first episode.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:14 am Reply with quote
ShinnFlowen wrote:
I do not believe anyone thought this goofy show was going to end up being one of the better shows last season after previewing the first episode.

I disagree. I was pretty keen on the show right off the bat. That it ended up being quite strong was no surprise to me.
Polycell

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:44 am Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
I think you're confusing "skinship" between two girls with actual lesbianism, but you wouldn't be the first one to do that.
I take it you're not familiar with Fencedude; the guy's yuri goggles are practically welded to his face. And he's been shipping them since episode 6.
jymmy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, but they put the stuff in for innocent fanservice/comedy. Sometimes it's legit not explicity stated (some - confusingly - of the relationships in Strike Witches, for example), sometimes it's just two girls being friends and joking about being lesbains. There's the whole Japanese concept of admiration/practice for a real relationship thing there, too. Personally, for the first three shows I saw that did this, it was great. It almost qualified as additional character depth, and with the bonus of vaguely-implied lesbianism!
I got into proper yuri manga specifically because I got sick of half-hearted shit like this in anime - and hey, read one my all-time favourites, Octave, as well as several other classics.
Anyway, getting off-topic here. I see Sanae and Shinka yuri-wise as well in the realm of "alternate interpretation".
ShinnFlowen wrote:
I do not believe anyone thought this goofy show was going to end up being one of the better shows last season after previewing the first episode.

Well, unless they knew anything about the source material, but whatever... Character-driven moe shows like this tend to get drama near the end anyway, it was just a matter of whether they pulled it off well, and they did.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:18 pm Reply with quote
My only complaint about this series was the final episode. I absolutely loved this series (hell, I had to talk myself out of spending £50 on buying the first Japanese Blu-ray, which doesn't even have subs). Episode 11 was definitely the pinnacle of the series in my opinion, which is why I was severely let down by episode 12.

I felt the way Yuta dealt with Rikka at the end was severely wrong. I adored Rikka as a Chunibyo and was really upset when she was pulled out of it by Yuta, leaving her as a broken, frail flower. However, I don't think going back to being one was the answer either. In my opinion, a perfect conclusion would have been for Rikka to begin to come to terms with her father's death and the world around her, but not do it at the drop of a hat - things like this require a gradual progress that cannot be shown in any justice in the space of even two episodes, so to show her perfectly recovered (outside of some "[X Time] Later" flash forward) would have been inaccurate. Not to mention the whole forced "Let's have all the cast get together for the end!" thing. Then there was the whole melodrama with the police and whatnot, which led the finale down the drain.

The key thing the final episode needed that it didn't have was Yuta apologising to Rikka and admitting that he was wrong to pull her out of his protective shell.

If I had written the final episode, I would have changed it from the moment Yuta goes to Rikka's family's home. Instead of that ridiculous roof scene, I would have had Yuta possibly call out to Rikka's bedroom window (cliché in itself, but not unrealistic) and have her agree to let him in the front door. There would be some friction and arguing between Yuta and Rikka's family, but I would have Yuta state that he now realises that he was wrong to pressure Rikka into this, that he wants to help her come to terms with what has happened around her in her own time and that in such a fragile state, Rikka doesn't need the stress of a relocation to add to that, so he would like to take her home so that they can work through her problems at a natural pace, while Rikka remains in familiar surroundings (and school etc). Then, as Rikka would still be very timid (possibly more-so due to the fuss), the "handing back of the eyepatch" thing would be done by Yuta, as a way of showing what she really wants to do...and she would put it back on, before finally addressing her family and Yuta, saying what her decision is.

Then they would go back home and have their reunion scene with Nibutani, Kumin and Dekomori where everything would be fine and happy again, then flash forward 6 months or so and we would have a short, yet sweet scene of Rikka getting ready for school in the morning and when it comes to putting on her eyepatch, she would hesitate, look herself in the mirror and decide against wearing it. Then she would meet up with Yuta and they would head to school together and the credits will roll.

In my opinion, that would have been a good ending to the series. It might have required it to be 2 episodes long instead of 1, but that might actually have worked in its favour.

Last edited by Ryu Shoji on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Key

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, but you'll get complete disagreement from me on the last episode. Even if parts of it were a bit cliched, I loved how it was handled and found one certain scene in it to be quite emotional as presented.

I do realize, however, that this is far from a universally-held view on the final episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:09 pm Reply with quote
Theron, you are the kindest soul here, as always. I would be merciless, cracking reasons why the audience had this anime rated two levels lower than they could. But then many people would miss those good qualities this show has, even if I would list it. Once you see, get exposed to lacks of something, you can not "unsee". With more positive review the show has more chances.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I will be very surprised if Sentai doesn't give this one both a dub and a Blu-Ray, as this is much less of a niche title than a lot of the stuff they pick up.

A rep of Madman (the Australian licensor) seems to be under the assumption that it will be dubbed, at least.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Theron, you are the kindest soul here, as always. I would be merciless, cracking reasons why the audience had this anime rated two levels lower than they could. But then many people would miss those good qualities this show has, even if I would list it. Once you see, get exposed to lacks of something, you can not "unsee". With more positive review the show has more chances.

Damn decent of you to nobly with-hold your doubtlessly influential opinions so that others will give the show a chance. Laughing
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:01 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Quote:
Although Sanae and Shinka only figure peripherally into the romantic developments, the relationship between the two of them also evolves in satisfyingly platonic directions, too.

Pffffffffft

Nope. No lesbians here. Really. We swear. Not a chance.

Please stop assuming that two girls so much as looking at each other means that they're secretly lesbians. You can take the yuri goggles off.
Spleen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:48 pm Reply with quote
A real Sven-Goran Eriksson of an anime. First half good; second half, not so good.

I know why people want to justify the second half; the premise kind of demanded that the heroine had to be rescued from her fantasy world. But it didn't work. As a comedy it was absolutely brilliant; every clash between the delusional world and the real world was laugh-out-loud stuff. As was the tension between the older characters' desperation to forget what they were like a few years ago, and their inability to avoid being reminded of it.

But as soon as it decided to turn to drama, what you had was a show desperately trying to tell us that this wasn't about a boy seducing a mentally ill girl. There was no need to get serious and make us stop suspending our disbelief.
Ryu Shoji

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Sorry, but you'll get complete disagreement from me on the last episode. Even if parts of it were a bit cliched, I loved how it was handled and found one certain scene in it to be quite emotional as presented.

I do realize, however, that this is far from a universally-held view on the final episode.

It wasn't so much the cliché that bothered me, it was how the last episode dealt with Rikka and her being a Chunibyo. The romance was well done and the episode certainly had strong atmosphere that made it satisfying to watch, but the way the show kinda danced around the fact that she was left emotionally paralysed after being forced out of the protective shell she had built herself instead of being allowed to come to terms to things and leave that shell at her own, gradual pace really niggled me.

EmperorBrandon wrote:
Key wrote:

A rep of Madman (the Australian licensor) seems to be under the assumption that it will be dubbed, at least.

Considering that Sentai are releasing the series under an English name (Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions), I'd assume that it's being dubbed.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Spleen wrote:
But as soon as it decided to turn to drama, what you had was a show desperately trying to tell us that this wasn't about a boy seducing a mentally ill girl. There was no need to get serious and make us stop suspending our disbelief.

I disagree. As much as I loved the comedy aspects, they were already beginning to pall by the time the series inevitably started exploring why Riika was the way she was. Maybe you could have gone on indefinitely enjoying variations on the same idea over and over again, but not me. I'm glad the show was smarter than that. And your characterization that the show was "desperately" trying to tell us this wasn't about a boy seducing a mentally ill girl is incredibly uncharitable. Their affection was clearly mutual and I never got the the sense she was mentally ill - merely unwilling to face a certain painful part of her reality.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5